Tony Crabel's Opening Range Formula

DryHeat,

I have sent you the Nifty futures data for past one year. i hope you can run the AFL and get some backtest results.

I can send more data for the said period for other cash stocks too if required by other members for you to test.Just let me know here.

Happy Trading
Thanks for emailing the data to me. I have it loaded and working. However I am in the process of re-writing the code. It takes far to long to back test and optimize and I am overhauling the code to work much faster. The original code relied on a massive amount of time compression/expansion and it ties up a lot of processing. The new version requires more precise setup of the database though and once I get something up and running I'll post the details.

Dry :)

Dry and Ankit
Is that one year worth of Nifty data in one stream(one file)? Or several files? If it's one stream/file, I would like a copy too.....will save me a lot of time trying to append these individual files I have for the past two years. If you have one stream for both years or more it would be even better

Regards
Shreenath

I dont know if using a filter will make a difference,...bt i have heard that some multiplying factor is generally used with the open range to improve results....i dont have any concrete results/value for indian markets though.
In the small amount of backtesting I've accomplished so far I have determined the breakout levels need to be adjusted from their original 10 day min average. Not sure if a straight multiplier is the answer though. I've also tried varying the average between 8 and 15 days. Still didn't get the results I wanted. Seems to me the goal is to prevent entry during false breakouts and the ideal way to do this should be some method of developing a bias, UP/DOWN, and using the bias to adjust the levels.

Check this chart previously posted in this thread:

Chart

Notice how each day the breakout levels are not the same distance from the open? In the spirit of Toby's original formula I am considering ways of using recent price action to drive this adjustment. Something which automatically adapts to changing markets will require very little optimization.

ag_fx

Thanks for emailing the data to me. I have it loaded and working. However I am in the process of re-writing the code. It takes far to long to back test and optimize and I am overhauling the code to work much faster. The original code relied on a massive amount of time compression/expansion and it ties up a lot of processing. The new version requires more precise setup of the database though and once I get something up and running I'll post the details.

Thats Ok Dry...You can take all the time...Markets are here..and we are patient enuff to make money :)

Dry and Ankit
Is that one year worth of Nifty data in one stream(one file)? Or several files? If it's one stream/file, I would like a copy too.....will save me a lot of time trying to append these individual files I have for the past two years. If you have one stream for both years or more it would be even better

Regards
Shreenath
Well Sreenath, it is One file with last 1 year of NF data..I had downloaded each days data one by one and appended it into this...

In the small amount of backtesting I've accomplished so far I have determined the breakout levels need to be adjusted from their original 10 day min average. Not sure if a straight multiplier is the answer though. I've also tried varying the average between 8 and 15 days. Still didn't get the results I wanted. Seems to me the goal is to prevent entry during false breakouts and the ideal way to do this should be some method of developing a bias, UP/DOWN, and using the bias to adjust the levels.

Check this chart previously posted in this thread:

Chart

Notice how each day the breakout levels are not the same distance from the open? In the spirit of Toby's original formula I am considering ways of using recent price action to drive this adjustment. Something which automatically adapts to changing markets will require very little optimization.

Yes DH,
I liked the way Jatin had adjusted the breakout levels....May be we can use the concept of NR7,4 and WR days coupled with IB....these work really well and breakouts are achvd withe greater success...

Like yesterday, it was a IB on daily chart....and also NR7 for NF(Nifty Future)..and today morning brakout gave good money..and den breakdown too...

Btw, I hope u know from where to update ur data at eod(after 330PM IST,generally post 6PM IST) everday. If not let me know, I will post the links.

Ankit,
Would you please email me that file too?
Please email it to ........the addy I gave you before. I might have found that formula which Linda USED to use(not sure what she has changed now and she changes them based on market ranges and volatility;ultimately you have to tweak to suit your needs for NIfty or whatever market you chose to trade) for calculating breakout numbers to bracket the market after an NR7 or an ID/NR4 day. Will let you know shortly
Regards
Shreenath

Regards
Shreenath

Thats Ok Dry...You can take all the time...Markets are here..and we are patient enuff to make money :)

Well Sreenath, it is One file with last 1 year of NF data..I had downloaded each days data one by one and appended it into this...

Yes DH,
I liked the way Jatin had adjusted the breakout levels....May be we can use the concept of NR7,4 and WR days coupled with IB....these work really well and breakouts are achvd withe greater success...

Like yesterday, it was a IB on daily chart....and also NR7 for NF(Nifty Future)..and today morning brakout gave good money..and den breakdown too...

Btw, I hope u know from where to update ur data at eod(after 330PM IST,generally post 6PM IST) everday. If not let me know, I will post the links.

Last edited:

ag_fx

Ankit,
Thank you. Not a problem; will take off the email addy from here......but how people exchange emails here?
thanks
Shreenath
The way we just did ;):thumb:

PM is anoder option..but you have to activate it first...and I myself dont know how :p

lazytrader

Ankit,
Thank you. Not a problem; will take off the email addy from here......but how people exchange emails here?
thanks
Shreenath
The way we just did ;):thumb:

Or you can also enter it in the contact info in usercp so people can get it from your profile :)

PM is anoder option..but you have to activate it first...and I myself dont know how :p
I think you need to add the other guy in contacts. Not sure though.

Dry and Ankit

Regards
Shreenath
If you are using Windows then just do "copy *.txt newfile.txt" in cmd prompt. It will append all .txt file to a single newfile.txt