The most important factor in successful trading

Discussion in 'Risk & Money Management' started by TradingPicks, Sep 20, 2004.

1. TradingPicks

TradingPicks New Member

The most important factor in successful trading

2. hmp

hmp Well-Known Member

Re:can somebody explain

recently i ve gone through ryan jones e book on money management. can anybody explain how to apply his fixed ratio method to our indian stocks. suppose i dont want to trade in futures and options and i simply want to buy and sell in market by taking delivery for short terms?
    traderji i request u to throw some light on this topic.

thanks and with regards

hmpatil

3. TradingPicks

TradingPicks New Member

Re: can somebody explain

If you could explain what this fixed ratio method (is it % retracement or % of move) is maybe I can help you!

4. Gurmeet

Gurmeet New Member

Good Post !!! Wisdom !!!

Cheers
    Gurmeet

5. CreditViolet

CreditViolet Guest

Money management is getting a lot of attention these days but if u dont have a good strategy to enter and exit it will help only to lose slowly.A solid technique is required before applying money management parameters to it

6. arun

arun Member

Money management is the ONLY SINGLE reason why I am still in the markets. If it was not for MONEY MANAGEMENT I would have been wiped out!

I can now sleep like a baby at night! All thanks to traderedgeindia.com

7. Saint

Saint Banned

Nice article.......Agree with creditviolet as well.Perfect entry strategy followed by a neat risk/money management is everything.Position sizing is another very important thing that we as traders must adhere to at all times.We tend to bet the farm when we are overly bullish......a huge mistake!!Everyone must have a percentage risk per trade in their trading plan.....and follow it religiously.

Prashant Patel and Coudy like this.
  8. hmp

hmp Well-Known Member

can any experienced trader suggest from his long experience what is the solid strategy for trading which is atleast 60% successfull?

9. Traderji

Traderji Super Moderator

The first element of any trading plan is the amount of capital you intend to invest. This is up to you, but you should understand that there is a direct relationship between the amount of capital you commit and your probability of success. The more you invest, the greater is the likelihood that you will make money.

An important thing to keep in mind when deciding how much to commit initially to trading is that the amount you invest must be "risk capital." Risk capital is defined as money you can afford to lose without affecting your standard of living. It should also be money that you feel comfortable risking. Think of your trading account as an investment in a business. Many businesses fail. That's life. Make sure you won't be so afraid of losing money that it will affect your ability to make correct trading decisions.

The next part of your trading plan involves how you will make your actual buying and selling decisions. Under what conditions will you enter trades? When will you exit your trades? What markets will you trade?

There are four cardinal principles which should be part of every trading strategy.

They are:

1) Trade with the trend,

2) Cut losses short,

3) Let profits run,

4) Manage risk.

You should make sure your strategy includes each of these requirements for success.

10. arun

arun Member

How much you are correct traderji. One of the best posts in this forum for anybody venturing into trading. You have summed it very well here. I wish I had a forum like this when I ventured into trading a few years ago, I would have saved a lot of money and heartburn! Anyway sometimes we all learn from our experience and thanks to tradersedgeindia.com I am wiser and richer today.

Also I just renewed my subscription with tradersedgeindia.com and got a very good deal for a yearly renewal (special offer on their 5th anniversary). Just thought that would let you all know if you are renewing your subscription for a year. This is not available on their website so you may have to contact them directly.