The Most Basic Question

Hello all newbie here so please be gentle. From what I see the ultimate goal of everyone who might visit this forum is to make money. And the most fundamental way to do that in a stock market is to buy and sell at the correct price.
So how do you make that determination? What is it in a stocks value, charts, etc that would make you think the value is correct?
And once you have acquired it what is it that tells you when the price has peaked?
To me if these questions are answered satisfactorily, you make money at least 50% of the time. Please tell me if these questions even have answers. Or is it like asking how much water is there on the earth....

Capricorn

From your questions it seems that you are attempting to catch the tops and bottoms. I feel you should redefine your approach.

From your questions it seems that you are attempting to catch the tops and bottoms. I feel you should redefine your approach.
Thanks for your prompt response. I am a total newbie to this. I have an engineering background and don't know the first thing about finance. In short I dont have an approach :(

Hi , please download Saint`s `teach a man to fish` pdf and go thru it , also , google , wiki/investo pedia are ur friends , scour through these pages on this forum , there is a wealth of knowledge and some very nice people to help and to guide , :)

sudoku1

"Working Towards Success..
Will make u a Master Of It,

But,

Working Towards Satisfaction
Makes u a Legend Of It..

Keep working on ur goals friends & hope for the best....:)

Hello all newbie here so please be gentle. From what I see the ultimate goal of everyone who might visit this forum is to make money. And the most fundamental way to do that in a stock market is to buy and sell at the correct price.
So how do you make that determination? What is it in a stocks value, charts, etc that would make you think the value is correct?
And once you have acquired it what is it that tells you when the price has peaked?
To me if these questions are answered satisfactorily, you make money at least 50% of the time. Please tell me if these questions even have answers. Or is it like asking how much water is there on the earth....
The main goal of charting and technical analysis to "chase" the smart-money, who knows the fundamentals of a company and accordingly buy/sell the equity of that company.

smart money, has all access to internal/private information of companies. they knew banks would collapse, hence exited early. we on the other hand do not have any access to the inside information and the news which come on tv is literally "latest" (as in very very late) news :D which will put us in more trouble.

The secret of making money is to protect your money. smart money, knows that you will follow it, so, it will play tricks and try all methods to put you into a losing position. The analysts on the tv, they are also part of the smart-money tricks, they'll ask you to buy such and such at such levels, once you buy that, the prices start falling.

So, the secret is to quit your losing position instantly (say 1 to 3% loss is a good-bye signal) or go reverse inline with smart-money.

saint's system is all about chasing the smart-money relentlessly without using the technical tools.

candlestick patterns, moving averages (MACD), stochastic oscillators/RSI, etc., are used to understand what the smart money is doing with the prices.

understand the overall market, then understand the individual scrip in relation to smart money actions, that'll help.

NOMINDTR

Hi,

Above members have said enough. Let me try to help you to refine your question.

ultimate goal of everyone who might visit this forum is to make money.
Though you are right, it is not all about. :)

the most fundamental way to do that in a stock market is to buy and sell at the correct price.
There is no correct price. There are only opportunities.

So how do you make that determination?
Determine yourself to learn, practice what you learn and polish your trading system.

Or is it like asking how much water is there on the earth....
Not exactly.
"The gull who flies the highest is the gull sees the farthest" - Richard Bach in "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"

Happy Learning :)