TECH-nikaal ANALysis...!

linkon7

Basically the total action of the day can be described in 3 parts:

1.Data
2.Processing
3.Interpretation

Technical Analysis forms part of PROCESSING, chart analysis & results
forms part of INTERPRETATION.

A good Processor need not be a great Interpreter and similarly good Interpreter need not be a good processor.
A good analyst and a good trader are normally poles apart in their mindset. The major difference is how much "being right" features in the priority list. They both handle the randomness very differently.

Analyst tried to define the market direction with reason that is interpreted from historical price data. A trader uses the same data but is looking for low risk - high probability entry. He has flexible view and doesnt mind being wrong and normally targets smaller stoploss and has no issues with re-entry.

An analyst will normally assign a lot of worth to his views and will average his losing trades and find new reasons to hold on. A trader will cut his losses and will normally have flexible targets. Every new bar is a reason to review his position in hand and will normally be the one to add to his winners.

The problem with learning too much TA is that we tend to be more of an analyst than an good trader.

Recently, i have been experimenting on letting my winners run and it was very tough on me. I have always been the chiller collector. My belief was that its easier to gain 4 trades of 12 point profit than getting a single trade of 50 points. There were instances when i was in profit for over 2 hours and a single spike would scratch the trade. It really hurt like hell. But the few winners that ran made up for all the loosers. But once i learnt to ride the profit, there was lesser instances of market not giving an entry when it made a mad rush. I was normally in the trade and instead of looking for entry, i was finding new reasons to hold on.

Its a matter of mindset. One thing i admired about flow traders is their ability to be lazy bums and avoid trading when market is in the D area. When market is sideways, i normally see ST da chatting and having a good time with everything other than trading. When he is in a trade, he likes to concentrate and avoids detraction like a plague. All a good trait of a good trader...!

jlmalhotra

Recently, i have been experimenting on letting my winners run and it was very tough on me. I have always been the chiller collector. My belief was that its easier to gain 4 trades of 12 point profit than getting a single trade of 50 points. There were instances when i was in profit for over 2 hours and a single spike would scratch the trade. It really hurt like hell. But the few winners that ran made up for all the loosers. But once i learnt to ride the profit, there was lesser instances of market not giving an entry when it made a mad rush. I was normally in the trade and instead of looking for entry, i was finding new reasons to hold on.
These days I am also trying to let my winners run and its tough on me too and many of times winners have turned into loosers. But then doing 4 or 5 trades a day and sharing 20% of profit with the broker and the govt in form of STT hurts too.

Confused

iyerboi

Its someth ive been thinkin - esp past 2 days where i was playin along the trendline but missed at the rt moment whn there was a sudden mad rally. i just freeze if the move has already started and try to placate myself that its better to avoid a possible bad trade than enter and lose money already made.

can u share on how u fight the urge to close out the trade? would be very useful for newbies like me.

thanks!!

iyerboi

These days I am also trying to let my winners run and its tough on me too and many of times winners have turned into loosers. But then doing 4 or 5 trades a day and sharing 20% of profit with the broker and the govt in form of STT hurts too.

Confused
lol! too many ppl suffering from the "being left out" syndrome :p :D

iyerboi

A good analyst and a good trader are normally poles apart in their mindset. The major difference is how much "being right" features in the priority list. They both handle the randomness very differently.

Analyst tried to define the market direction with reason that is interpreted from historical price data. A trader uses the same data but is looking for low risk - high probability entry. He has flexible view and doesnt mind being wrong and normally targets smaller stoploss and has no issues with re-entry.

An analyst will normally assign a lot of worth to his views and will average his losing trades and find new reasons to hold on. A trader will cut his losses and will normally have flexible targets. Every new bar is a reason to review his position in hand and will normally be the one to add to his winners.

The problem with learning too much TA is that we tend to be more of an analyst than an good trader.

Its a matter of mindset. One thing i admired about flow traders is their ability to be lazy bums and avoid trading when market is in the D area. When market is sideways, i normally see ST da chatting and having a good time with everything other than trading. When he is in a trade, he likes to concentrate and avoids detraction like a plague. All a good trait of a good trader...!
u dont use a trailing stoploss until the blink and u miss rally starts? my prob was my stop loss is hit and while i wait for the market to come back to the trend line, its too late :(

jlmalhotra

lol! too many ppl suffering from the "being left out" syndrome :p :D
No not really "being left out syndrome", I am an intraday trader and its taxes that hurt.

brokerage of .015 paisa means little more than .025 paisa after taxes in NSE.

Transaction costs are more than Rs 2000.00 for a turnover of Rs 1 Cr.

iyerboi

No not really "being left out syndrome", I am an intraday trader and its taxes that hurt.

options? i can ustd - i trade with zerodha and still pay abt 1/3 of my earnings in brokerage and securities taxes...add to that anr 1/3 towards income tax and ur left with lil :-(

... it was very tough on me. I have always been ...
Firstly, I'd like to applaud you for your honesty in accepting your weakness - not many in this forum has got the guts to do the same. You'll definitely go long way.

...and doesn't believe in TA. TA is my bread and butter and i hated it when he called TA as TECH-nikaal ANALyst and FA as FUND-a-MENTAL ANALyst.
In my point of view, I won't downplay or completely ignore TA. It has it's own place. In decision making process, TA would play about 20 or 25% of role. Rest is all about the understanding of the structure.

=== ==== ==== === *** === ==== ==== === === ==== ==== === *** === ==== ==== === === ==== ==== === *** === ==== ==== ===

Found it while going thru the old files in my computer ...
.... good to read, but little twisty to understand ...

Last edited:

linkon7

Confused

options? i can ustd - i trade with zerodha and still pay abt 1/3 of my earnings in brokerage and securities taxes...add to that anr 1/3 towards income tax and ur left with lil :-(

if your 20% of profit = STT+brokerage, then its high time, you increase your target.
switch to higher time frame.

Its someth ive been thinkin - esp past 2 days where i was playin along the trendline but missed at the rt moment whn there was a sudden mad rally. i just freeze if the move has already started and try to placate myself that its better to avoid a possible bad trade than enter and lose money already made.

can u share on how u fight the urge to close out the trade? would be very useful for newbies like me.

thanks!!
u dont use a trailing stoploss until the blink and u miss rally starts? my prob was my stop loss is hit and while i wait for the market to come back to the trend line, its too late :(

This is what i try to do...

Identify the phase of the market.
IF we are in sideways phase then book all at fixed targets.
IF we are in pause in a strong trend phase, then book 50% at fixed target and buy it back at lower level and continue till u have a break out / down.
IF we are in a break out / break down phase, don't exit 50% till u have a strong reason to go contra, like divergence, BB touch, end of momentum bar etc.
IF we are in a strong trend, then try to add to your positions. avoid partial exits.
IF we are in weak trend, then book all position at nearest support / resistance on higher tf.