Stocks for the long and short term portfolio

jamit_05

My doubts of Tata Steel's good future are further solidifying. I met an accounting expert focused on the stock market, it was a workshop.

It is not a good sign that a company takes over another which is bigger. Growth is best when its organic. Acquisitions should be smaller or at par. WIth the recession Tata Steel is going to be pain in the neck for Tata Sons. (Do they own Iodex, if not they should....)

jamit_05

Tata Steel is an old workhorse. Maybe its time for it to retire? Why do you think Tata Steel's time is over? The whole base metal industry is in a slump. My stake is in hindalco. Many people are against it. But,I've always been a contarian. I'll sell it on its recovery to it's intrinsic value,it's not a long hold.
I am in no position to take a call on Tata steel's lifeline. I guess, what I meant was Tata Steel will show some drastic levels, in 100's. That would probably be a time to buy. Now, or even next year is too early. It has some really tough times ahead.

Hindalco is a very complex web. It has one major acquisition in EU and that too has several other Cos under it. Plus its capacities are being long delayed and has big interest on Bal Sh. Just like Tata Steel. Profitability is only going to get worse for another two years. This Interest cost will prove heavy on the outcome. Nalco has very small debt, most important in bad times.

jamit_05

Weakening of the INR against $ is also hitting IT's profitability. So, as FIIs sell Nifty IT will be directly affected.

IT down today as well.

jamit_05

Tata Steel touched its 52-week low of 294 rupees today; the stock is currently down about 1 pct to 296 rupees...

And this is only the beginning. Earlier this year I was happy to buy Sail and Tata Steel. But, after reading the prospects of the industry I changed my mind. I think I should watch for one more year. And TS is pretty much out of the question.

jamit_05

Hi Zohan.

You have made some good choices: ttk prestige, asian paints, havells, emami; All companies with a good brand name and are here to stay.

However, the issue is of price. It is a big issue.

Needless to say that Asian Paints is Fundamentally a very good company. But, will not deliver returns if bought at CMP. Wait for atleast a 30% pullback.

Some People who bought Infosys in 2009 have still not made any Money !!

jamit_05

There you have it. Sugar Stocks are below 2005 lows !! There is little pain left in terms of Rs value not percentage.

Company Under Consideration is

BALRAMPUR CHINI

A market leader. Upcycle in Sugar industry is 100% bound to reflect in its share price. It is also the oldest. Hence experienced management.

Ideal price to buy is Rs.30, low of 2008.
Ambitious target Rs.160;

That is 500% growth. The best part is, it will happen quickly... but only after it starts, till then the investor will have to be patient and keep the faith. :)