SIP Maturity

My SIPs in ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip Equity Fund Retail (Growth), ICICI Pru Discovery Fund (Growth) have ended after paying 12 installments each. HDFC Top 200 will also get over in 2-3 months. Should I liquidate/hold on/extend these or should I start a fresh SIP for each of these funds? I intend to invest about 7000/- per month and seek your suggestions. I am looking at these from a medium to long term perspective, say, 5-7 years. I look forward to your advice.

Dear Friend,

I would suggest to invest Rs. 7000 as below:

Rs. 2000 - ICICI Pru Discovery Fund (Mid & Small cap)

Rs. 2500 - HDFC Top 200 (Large & Mid Cap)

Rs. 2500 - IDFC Imperial Equity (Large Cap)

ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip is unrated and hence, I would definitely advise you to exit from this fund. Either liquidate your investments or immediately initiate transfer plan to ICICI Pru Discovery Fund. If you can transfer Rs. 2500 or similar per month, then I would suggest you to invest Rs. 7000 across HDFC Top 200 and IDFC Imperial Equity. Hence, you new revamped investment plan/portfolio would appear to be.

ICICI Pru Discovery - Rs. 2500 STP from ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip
HDFC Top 200 - Rs. 3000
IDFC Imperial Equity - Rs. 4000.

For HDFC Top 200 and IDFC Imperial Equity, try to spread you SIP across multiple dates in the same month.

Happy Investing !!

Dear Friend,

I would suggest to invest Rs. 7000 as below:

Rs. 2000 - ICICI Pru Discovery Fund (Mid & Small cap)

Rs. 2500 - HDFC Top 200 (Large & Mid Cap)

Rs. 2500 - IDFC Imperial Equity (Large Cap)

ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip is unrated and hence, I would definitely advise you to exit from this fund. Either liquidate your investments or immediately initiate transfer plan to ICICI Pru Discovery Fund. If you can transfer Rs. 2500 or similar per month, then I would suggest you to invest Rs. 7000 across HDFC Top 200 and IDFC Imperial Equity. Hence, you new revamped investment plan/portfolio would appear to be.

ICICI Pru Discovery - Rs. 2500 STP from ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip
HDFC Top 200 - Rs. 3000
IDFC Imperial Equity - Rs. 4000.

For HDFC Top 200 and IDFC Imperial Equity, try to spread you SIP across multiple dates in the same month.

Happy Investing !!
I have contra view on ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip.

ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip is 4 star rated.

Please check money control for that.

ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip performance is not bad too.

For your information:
ICICI Pru Focussed Bluechip dividend has declared 0.75 dividend on 25th January 2011

Happy Investing!

Dear San Yad,

Many thanks for the valuable insights. I use Valueresearch Online ratings as the basis of my judgements and decision making. VROL is widely used by many experts and investors and typically serves as the benchmark.

Though moneycontrol has ratings attached, personally I don't use the same as the right yardstick to measure the performance.

Coming to ICICI Focussed Bluechip, I didn't publish my reasons before which I am collecting below:

- Performance: Performance wise, I do agree with you that it has delivered decent returns over the period of existence.

- Ratings: VROL has not rated this as compared to my original suggestion of IDFC Imperial equity (5 star rated)

- Tenure: ICICI Bluechip has been around for only 10 quarters. Interesting part is which 10 quarters. A glance at the results sheet shows that H2 2008 is when they have started delivering results which was in the peak of the bear phase. Hence, there is a high likelihood that they got a lot of good stocks at great discounts.

Not discounting their perofmrnace, they have delivered some good numbers in these 10 quarters as compared to their peers (for ex: IDFC Imperial Equity). However, I would wait for one cycle of bull - bear atleast followed by bull to know how the fund is managing the investments.

Personally for me, I would rather wait for stabilization and look at the returns delivered in a bull phase and then take a call. Currently, there is a lot of volatility and would love to watch it before investing.

To end, the suggestion is my personal feeling and something that one analyses. I would like to reiterate that the choice of investment along with the associated risk and downside lies entirely with the investor. I believe this forum is to bounce off ideas and the suggestions should be taken as a point of reference and not something cast in stone.

Happy Investing !!