Portfolio Review

Re: Can you comment on this portfolio?

Your choice of funds are good!!!

However I would like to suggest a few modifications on the structure of your portfolio:

Sundaram select focus is a good pick in the oppurtunities fund section. Magnum Balanced is a good fund in the Balanced Fund Section

1. Repetitive funds :

You portfolio contains funds that are repetitive. 2 funds doing the same thing. These are Sundaram Cappex oppur and DSP ML tiger. Both invest in the infrastrucure theme. You could consider investing in either one of the two. Sundaram capex is an extremely foccussed fund while DSP ML tiger has a broader mandate (investing in companies gained by economic reforms). Depending on your risk appetite you could choose either one of them. Another repetitive fund is Birla Sunlife Equity and DSP ML Equity. Both are multicap funds. Here too you could choose one and neglect the other. Birla Sunlife Equity is more aggressive than DSP ML equity. Again depending upon you risk apetite choose one.

Having more than one fund of the same type would dilute retuns. So trimming and having a portfolio having 4-5 equity funds (including tax saving funds) is important

2. Need for Large cap fund.

The portfolio lacks one large cap oriented fund. You could choose either one of the following Franklin Prima Plus, Magnum Contra, Birla Sunlife Frontline Equity, DSP ML top 100

Happy Investing

Thanks V!

I thought the DSP ML Tiger was more into:
Capital Goods
Construction
Banking
Petrochemicals
Power

while capex opp was into the following:
Industrial Conglomerates
Metals
Energy

So, I thought they are diverse w.r.t what they invest in. Hence chose both.

comments?
tm

DSP ML Tiger stands for (T.I.G.E.R.) - The Infrastructure Growth and Economic Reforms. So they invest in infrasture and and any sector that gains significantly out of economic reforms. DSP ML tiger does invest heavily in Energy,metals as well . Probably they dont have them in the latest portfolio. But in the past I remember seeing metals and energy occupying the top slot. Sundaram capex is a subset of DSP ML Tiger. They are not totally different from each other. Both funds primarily invests in infrastructure related stocks.

Plz revise My Portfolio

Hi all,
I am planning to invest monthly through SIP from next month.I am investing for long term for wealth creation.I am ready to take decent risk.I have created my portfolio for SIP.
Please review my portfolio and give ur comments and suggestions.
Please suggest me the changes i need to do.

Here is my portfolio :
i am planning to invest in all of them in same ratio.

1.Kotak Opportunities Fund
2.ICICI Pru Infrastructure
3.SBI Magnum Comma Fund
4.Reliance Growth Fund - RP
5.StanChart Premier Equity

Thanks.

Re: Plz revise My Portfolio

Hi !

My compliments on a very good choice...

You can think of Sundaram BNP Select Focus in place of StanChart Premier Equity. However, if you are not comfortable with the suggestion, stick to Premier Equity, which is also doing well.

Include a large cap and multi cap fund in your portfolio.

Merge Reliance Growth and Kotak Opputunities to one fund
Merge Magnum Comma with ICICI prudential Infrastructure.

Fund selection is good, but there are too many thematic and midcap/small cap funds.

@Vicky78:
Can u please suggest me the portfolio as per ur suggestions given in the last post. I am ready to take good risk.

Thanku.

1. Standard Charted Premier Equity (small/mid cap)
2. ICICI Prudential Infrastructure (thematic infra)
3. Reliance Growth (opportunities)
4. DSP ML Equity (multicap)
5. DSP ML Top 100 (or) Magnum Contra (large Cap oriented)

Most of these funds are picked from your existing portfolio of good funds. As you are an aggressive investor, 1,2,3 are high risk high return funds. DSP ML Equity has provided good returns in the long term with a moderate risk.

To reduce the volatility in the portfolio, you could pick one large cap oriented funds like DSP ML Top 100 or Magnum Contra. DSP ML top 100 should be inline with your risk.A fund with moderate risk would be Magnum Contra. If you would like to lower your risk, Birla Sunlife Frontline Equity or Franklin Prima Plus would be the other options.

Happy Investing!

Thanks Vicky for ur great suggestions...
I am planning to form the following portfolio based on ur suggestion.

1. Standard Charted Premier Equity (small/mid cap)
2. ICICI Prudential Infrastructure (thematic infra)
3. Reliance Growth (opportunities)
4. DSP ML Equity (multicap)
5. Magnum Contra (large Cap oriented)

DSP ML Equity seems to be not much impressive fund.Can u suggest me any other alternate to DSP ML Equity,which should be inline with the portfolio.

Can u tell me how to know the fund type(small/mid/large/multicap/thematic).
I could not find that anywhere in valueresearchonline.com abt this information.It gives only the split of portfolio.

Thanku.