Option Open Interest Funda ...What I observed?

The Observation on Open interest from my study-
1) For every option trade first order come from sell side, hence open interest increases only from sell side every time.
2) Now accordin to point 1 if Open Int. increases only from sell side then
--seller takes more risk than buyer of option
--seller have to pay margin on trade
--though seller having more risk he gets less benefit From the trade he made.
3) Question is though Seller get less benefit, high investment & risk why he sell the option and who are these sellers collectively?

I am opening this thread to collect openion of all option trader I also have some openion on this which I will share with this thread.
A) this is only for all of us who want to know more about Option Treading
B) My experiance is seller of option is getting more chances of profit than buyer
C) hands of seller of option are stronger than buyer of option.
D) from open interest of option we can ascertail nifty range for the short period like 5-10 days

pl share your views

Last edited:

trader.trends

A trade cannot occur only from the sell side. A trade occurs when a buyer and seller agree on the rate. Open interest indicates the number of contracts lying unsettled. It indicates the numbers of open contracts. If I sell you one lot of Nifty options (50), the open interest is shown as 50. It means they are 50 longs and 50 shorts.
The seller has to pay the margin (currently 12%) of the contract value. The buyer has to pay only the premium. The seller seemingly takes more risks. But since it is done by professionals, they know when to get out or hedge it.
Example: If someone sold 4700ce yesterday when NF was around 4700 on Friday (the premium was around 165), the seller should shell out a margin of (12% of (4700+165)) *50. The buyer pays 165*50. The seller's account is credited with the premium the next day. After that MTM is credited or debited on his contract value at EOD