my option calls

bandlab2

update :

total premium is now at 320. profit of 80rs. i will carry this to next week. for this strategy to work well, nifty should be close to 3400. right now dow is in losses (-240 points)

update :

total premium is now at 320. profit of 80rs. i will carry this to next week. for this strategy to work well, nifty should be close to 3400. right now dow is in losses (-240 points)

Was it possible from the practical point of view to collect Rs. 400 by selling this straddle on 13 October? I think the combined premium availble on 13 October was less than 400.

Regards

AW10

Dear AW10

I too think it is better to book profit at the earliest.(I am not sure 93 will be possible today)

Option writer always carry un limited risk. The stradle seller will make money when the market consolidates in a range and the present market doesn't shows signs of any consolidation, instead showing further weekness day by day. As the market approaches your BE and if time is left to expiry it will give you sleepless nights.

regards
Sd_Singal, You are right with you views of booking profit asap. My belief is "Let profit run" (specially when odds are in my favour).

I am explaining my analysis of this trade below. There is nothing like absolute one way of playing in the market. But hope my explanation gives idea about my thought process.

To asses the risk of this position, this is how will go at this stage
1) What is the monthly ATR (avrg true range) of NIFTY? as of Sept, end, it is approximately 600 pts. That means, this is the average expected fluctuation of NIFTY in normal condition for next 1 month period.

2) We have already got 1.5 times of this range done in Oct.. i.e.(High-Low of Oct is approximately 900 i.e. 4000 minus 3100).

3) How many times in the history we had a month giving 1.5*ATR ? I looked at last 22 months of NIFTY range and ATR and found that only on 6 times we had 1.5*ATR months. 3 of them are after Q4-07.. That means, only 25% of the time I can have 1.5*ATR month i.e. 75% of time. 25% of the time monthly range will be <1.5ATR.
So my interpretation is == 75% chance that we have seen the extreme of Oct and 25% chance that we have not.
I also have other reasons from chart analysis to support that it is less likely to break below 3000 point in next 2 weeks. but will see consolidation now.

4) So if I stay with this position, then 75% chance that it will make more money for me everyday from now onward. As expiry approaches, option seller makes more money by just holding on to the position. Here I have chance of making 400 with 75% odds in my favour. 25% chance that I might loose the current profit of 93 (say 100).
That gives me expected return = 0.75*400 -0.25*100 = 275

5) To manage the risk and having sound sleep.. this is how I will do..
when I entered the trade, I had a loss limit that I can take on this trade. Say 50 rs.
So I will use that 50Rs and buy an OTM PUT of 3000 (beyond my BEven point) so that even if market falls, then loss of short straddle are covered by gain in OTM put.

Even if bandlab2 closes this position, due to my curiousity I would like to monitor this till the day of expiry.

Happy Trading.

bandlab2

total premium is 410. loss of 10 rs. still carrying the positions. my stop loss is 100 rs

Professionals make consistent money thru writing Options. Odds are in the favour of writer. Time decay works in favour of writer.Crux of the issue is to manage the risk of writing option. If one masters that then there are many high probablity opportunities open up.

Happy Trading.
Professionals make money by writing covered calls.

AW10

Professionals make money by writing covered calls.
In principle, covered call is bullish strategy. It works when one continue to hold the stock at the same time, OTM call gives nice premium in the pocket.
In bearish market, covered call is not right strategy because, the stock can fall lot more then the premium that is recieved.
To the best of my knowledge, professionals use Collar in bearish market, not covered call.

Happy Trading.

bandlab2

on monday i will initiate my next trade. oct series, sbi, sell 1500 call and sell 1400 put. for a total premium of around 80. lot size 138

bandlab2

1410 put is at 57, 1500 call is at 35. i will post the actual trade value tomorrow

also i am planning to sell nifty nov 3600 put at 560rs