My First AnalysisGAIL

Hi,

I found some where written about this strategy.

Not sure about it.

I have also attached a chart.
Plz comment.

Exponential moving average crossover strategy

Many traders would like to make this moving average system better or at least more sensitive to the market. Many strategy designers have transferred their perspective to an exponential moving average (EMA). This may sound scary, but is really quite simple:

Usage: When the fast EMA crosses above the slow EMA, a buy order is generated. When the slow EMA crosses above the fast EMA, a sell order is generated.

EMA: 7
EMA: 26

Last edited:

Satyen

yes lucky i have also read it some where .instead of taking two moving average i wanted to use 12 EMA and price .. here what i want to say is if a trend is up then search a buy set up . for this wait for stock to pause when it is moving up and enter when its previous trend is resuming

so for this logic i wanted to say if 12 EMA is up then trend is up and when it pause dueto some profit booking ( not sell of) with low vollume(pullback ) then enter when the prevoius bars high is taken out ( this may indicate trend resuming )

so i wanted some comment on this method whether it is logical or not and wanted other members to modify it

Regards
Satya

RSI

Hi Satya Pinku,
Have you noticed a point in the charts posted by other members when I requested to concentrate on price and volume alone? What did they do to find out the direction?

1. They tried to draw trendlines.
2. They concentrated on chart patterns.
3. They concentrated on price movements much closely.
4. They also paid attention to volume movement in relation of price movement.
5. They tried to predict future movement from longer term charts.
6. I concentrated on basic candlestick charting methods.
There are many many more points, which I want you to discover by yourself one by one.

But let me tell one most important point from all these points described above. All of them tried to go to the most basic level. All them tried to be as simple as possible. All of them tried to be thorough on foundation level analysis. Don't you think these are most important lessons to be learnt before studying other indicators such as moving averages etc., which are in any way derived from price and are lagging indicators? There is a lesson to be learned here.
Thanks and regards
R. S. Iyer

oxusmorouz

yes lucky i have also read it some where .instead of taking two moving average i wanted to use 12 EMA and price .. here what i want to say is if a trend is up then search a buy set up . for this wait for stock to pause when it is moving up and enter when its previous trend is resuming

so for this logic i wanted to say if 12 EMA is up then trend is up and when it pause dueto some profit booking ( not sell of) with low vollume(pullback ) then enter when the prevoius bars high is taken out ( this may indicate trend resuming )

so i wanted some comment on this method whether it is logical or not and wanted other members to modify it

Regards
Satya
The best way to figure that out is through backtest. Subjective opinion shouldn't carry us much forward. That is my humble opinion :)

rajesh.sadhanala

Regards
Satya
Nice strategy. You are identifying the trend based on 12 EMA. Pullback is below 12 EMA with low volumes. Low volumes is accepted and again crossover 12EMA is again trend resuming. Not sure why 12EMA,

I just want to paraphrase in more simpler way

Identifying the trend using Pivots. An uptrend is Higher Pivot High (rally) and Higher Pivot Lows (decline). The entries are on the Higher pivot lows. Generally 50% on higher pivot low and another 50% on take previous Higher Pivot High. Stop is break on the Higher pivot low.

So u concentrate only on price action and volumes. Volumes can help out to find out false breakouts most of the times. But you can built a similar system based on the above ideas.

You can use few indicators to find out the divergences.

Also market sentiments, global factors and so on gives an overall market conditions. Out of my experience, the most important factor is the Discipline.

Stick to what you have planned whatever may be the case. It helps u in the long run a lot.

Hope it helps u.

Regards
Raj

Last edited:
U

uasish

Hi,
For those who r concentrating on MA (EMA/ SMA etc),plz try to adopt some kind of adaptive MA (plz refer Karthik's thread).MACD is also on same catagory.1.5 yrs back i found Nifty was following 13 EMA ,few weeks back ,found Nifty has a cycle of 26 trading session.Half cycle (13) is always Analyst's have try to follow.
As u r concentrating on MA ,plz adopt some type of "Adaptive" type ,so when the cycle changes,you dont have to optimize again for the period.
My conception for MA is that :- it is most simplest way to state TREND,as i belive MACD or RMO will keep you on the right side of the mkt.
Cheers
Asish

I am not an expert in technical analysis. I am also learning just like you. Where did you read that once the stock is near 12 day EMA correction is over? I doubt this strategy. In order to say correction is over stock must be making higher highs and higher lows.

May I suggest you one method? You stop looking at all those indicators. Remove all those moving averages, bands, envelopes, fib retracement levels. gann fan etc. etc. from your chart. They tend to prejudice your opinion. Keep only price bars and if you cannot do with price alone, keep volume bars also. Not more than that and nothing else than that. Also if your chart permits so, remove the name of the stock and price on the y axis. Now try to predict the future price movement of that stock. I know it is extremely difficult. But try this. If you succeed in it, then you will have an important weapon in your technical analysis armory. If you succeed in it, then nothing will adulterate your analytical capacity.
Regards
R. S. Iyer
Very Nice,RS.....looking fwd to more great posts from you.

Saint

Satyen

Nice strategy. You are identifying the trend based on 12 EMA. Pullback is below 12 EMA with low volumes. Low volumes is accepted and again crossover 12EMA is again trend resuming. Not sure why 12EMA,

I just want to paraphrase in more simpler way

Identifying the trend using Pivots. An uptrend is Higher Pivot High (rally) and Higher Pivot Lows (decline). The entries are on the Higher pivot lows. Generally 50% on higher pivot low and another 50% on take previous Higher Pivot High. Stop is break on the Higher pivot low.

So u concentrate only on price action and volumes. Volumes can help out to find out false breakouts most of the times. But you can built a similar system based on the above ideas.

You can use few indicators to find out the divergences.

Also market sentiments, global factors and so on gives an overall market conditions. Out of my experience, the most important factor is the Discipline.

Stick to what you have planned whatever may be the case. It helps u in the long run a lot.

Hope it helps u.

Regards
Raj
Thank you very much Raj for your suggestion and it is help a lot now doubt is when stock is in up trend by making higher pivots and retrace then how to find the the entry point near higher low pivots . should we use candlestic patterns for entry points

if you can post some pivots analysis with some charts it will be help ful

Thanks again

Regards
Satya

Broker Special Offers