Magic of ADX

beginner_av

the magic has finally disappeared. thats great! anyone before proclaiming great blah blah, pls also read Dr Schaap's book. and remember every indicator can be used successfully or rejected, depending on the way you use them, or else there would be one universal indicator that most people would use!

U

uasish

Mogambo Bahut Khosh Hua (here the small time trader in me is mogambo,there it was that other guy)

rkkarnani

Re: Adx

Sorry about any hostilities which were created. Also apologies to anyone whose feelings got hurt via my posts.

I think I got annoyed earlier because I was doing all the hard work on the testing side. Anyway as the Akbar/Birbal tale goes: there are two ways to make a line look big.
A) extend the line
B) draw a smaller line.
I suspect I fall into trap B a lot.

I am still curious
How many people found my posts on adx/trading systems
a) garbage/informative/englightening
b) gentle/critical/acerbic
c) agreeable/provocative
d) boring+routine/creative+ingenuous
Also if you would prefer my posts to have other qualities then do leave your feedback.
Based on your feedback I will try my best to improve.
Leave a response here or pm me.
Cheers,
Raja
Raja, Maybe you drew the BIGGER line and made ORIGINAL line seem smaller!!!! Your posts to me are of not much use as I do not understand TA beyond a certain point. But you have very strongly emphasised about the limitaion of use of ADX and that is helpful.
Had visited your Blogs and you were honest in your Introduction to accept that you are LAZY.... found your blogs last updated long long back. Updation apart your system on Nifty seems good based on the returns you claim it has given. Would like to test it on paper with historical data as soon as I get time.
-R.K.Karnani

U

uasish

What was the big/power hungry trader within you thinking?(the one who wants to get rich quick) ;)
Even if i try i cant get Rich quick.It is always the slippery bamboo & the monkey math ,what we were taught in the school.
This Mugumbo thing was the reply to BAV ,not to you ,on his query in another thread.
(Though i knew this may infuriate you,actually i am non Alpha )

oxusmorouz

With due respects to senior members of the forum, I believe Rajak has a point. A simple way to counter it would be to display test results of a trading system which has used ADX as a tool and has shown significant out performance, or improved the results of earlier outperformance. This approach to the problem should be of mutual assistance I feel.

Obliged.

Last edited:
U

uasish

Yes i agree with you ,but his earlier posts generated ill feeling.I personally dont use ADX ,hence would not be able to ,however i vaugely remember Karthik used that in some thread on a Monthly time period & it is still under test.

beginner_av

I did do some rudimentary testing based on what the author posted , unfortunately the version I have written is giving pathetic results.

Please do not respond directly to my post or to me or ask me anything more on this topic. It would be a waste of my time and yours. It is not me who needs to learn about adx here. I have been in the markets for 2 years , I know what works for ME and also what works from a 'sceintific'/'logical' standpoint.
I am replying only because you tried to be "technical" with some primitive range b/o system, not understanding that what i showed was a rudimentary one on a random instrument JUST TO SHOW THAT ADX WORKS. huh!!! who are we kidding over here?

see the attachment. the same system applied to all stocks of FNO (NF and NF JR constituents) from 1994 to current, as you did. Big deal.

and its really funny what u picked up from reading stridsman and not the most important parts about mm etc.

so i'll repeat: don't write off anything cos YOU CANNOT USE IT properly. You have so much time to write long irrelevant posts, but couldnt use it to find profitable ADX system, THAT TOO ON A MARKET THAT WAS IN A PROLONGED UPTREND! THATS YOUR MENTAL BLOCK.

Dont homogenize! EACH PERSON HAS TO USE WHAT SUITS THEM, and work on it tirelessly and modify accordingly. and there are people here who look for direction after reading the posts here.

i knew that u were not a full time pro trader. you just confirmed it. even i am considering going to the moon as a space tourist, and buy off infosys. who cares a damn! a real trader never says crap like waste of time etc with paltry 2 years exp. they are open to all kind of inputs and systems and strive to improve consistently.

i have no intention to deride you or any such thing, just the fact that i dont like people proclaiming big things without proper understanding and proven results. If ADX worked anywhere in the last few years, it would be in Indian markets! reasons are obvious. u can say that ADX doesnt work for you. PERIOD. Then nobody has anything more to say.

and if u had ever seen stridsman book in your life, u must try to digest that he only showed that any entry system's performance is purely based on the exit/mm etc even if it is a random entry method. and next time pls attach screenshots, i want to see how a >2000% net risk adjusted reduces to 28% annually, by looking at other params.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attachments

Last edited:

karthikmarar

Hi uasish

I find that ADX can be good add-on indicator and I use ADX extensively and profitably. My “Trading the MACD “ stuff on my thread is ample proof that ADX greatly enhances the use of MACD.

I was watching this thread and found that the discussion was getting nowhere. With no malice I need to mention that neither brevity nor humbleness is a virtue that can be attributed to our friend who has been denigrating the use of ADX. Also, long verbose harangue does not help to prove anything. Hence I did not see any point in taking part in these discussions.

Otherwise ADX is one of my favorite indicators and it does help.

Warm regards

Karthik