Importing Data into Spacejock Fcharts.

pgd

Rip,

Good if u're happy with that data. be careful of duplicate entries bcos of different series types (e.g. EQ BE N1 P1 IL BL E1) in the same stock. Look at these for example - SIRPAPER HINDPETRO NIITLTD - u have 2 series in each. what u need is the EQ. so u hv to delete the other or the second will overwrite the first when u import the data and u end up with the wrong data in yr charts. so that's some work to be done apart from change of the 2 column heads that u pointed out.

Incidentally, I use a powerful text editor called 'Textpad' to bulk handle files for removing the top empty row. u cn download it from http://www.textpad.com/download/index.html. this is a great program and u can open a few hundred files at the same time (obviusly keeping within the limits of your RAM. I do about 200 files at a time).

After opening the files, press F8 to open the "Replace" window and type as follows:

Find what: \nDate (note the backslash)
Replace with: Date

Conditions to select:
Text
Regular Expression

Scope:
All documents

Then click "Replace All" and it's done in all the open files. The top blank row in all open files will be deleted.
Go to 'File' menu & click "Save All".

When u're done and u want to close all files, go to File menu and click "Close All".

The whole process takes under a minute.

Try it out with just 2 files first, to make sure u get it right, before u mess with a whole bunchload of files.

Hope this helps.

Re. Intraday data

I don't use live intraday data. I download and import 5-min intraday data at the end of day from http://in.groups.yahoo.com/group/bse-nse2005/files/STOCKS%20DATA%20FILES/IEOD/. This is at a free yahoo group where u can register. FCharts is able to create the following bars with the 5-min data - 5min 15min 30min 1hr 2hr.

Cheers!

Last edited:

asnavale

Hello PGD,

I am following your posts and it was of immense help to start using the FCharts program. I am using the free SE version. I have following queries which I hope you aill be able to answer:

1. The top left box always shows the name of database as ASX. I would like to make it show either NSE or BSE by default. Is it possible? If yes how?
2. I want to use the BSE and NSE market data separately. How to set up the two markets separately and use data for each of the markets by choice. I tried to add data from the files with two separate Symbol files, one for BSE and one for NSE. But they got mixed up (only the files, not data). Although I can select the stock from either market They are all listed together in the dropdown box. Can I keep the data for these two markets separately and access them separately?

Thanks in advance.

-Anant

pgd

Anant,

Here's what, I think, u can do:

1. In the pro version u can click on ASX and u'll see a menu, where u can rename, add, select a market. So u can add: BSE and NSE. Any activity done while NSE is selected (like adding data, creating watchlists, etc.) will form part of the NSE database, and so is the case with BSE and any other market data u maintain. BUT in the SE version u can have only one market database. So all u can do is rename ASX to NSE or BSE as u choose.

2. For opening one of them as default (pro version) - there's no setting for this as far as I know, but when u close the program each time, u can keep NSE in view if next time u want it to open with NSE in view.

3. For maintaining multiple databases using SE verision, there's still hope for you:

a) try installing another copy of the program in a different folder (preferably on a different drive) and use it for a different market!

OR

b) use the watchlist feature - 'All' will contain the whole jumble of both BSE & NSE tickers (there's no escape from that). Then, make 2 watchlists BSE and NSE where u will put in stocks specific to those markets. Then, make more watchlists as u need e.g. Autos-BSE, Autos-NSE, NIFTY, SENSEX and so on. The files will stay mixed. There's no workaround for that as the program internally accesses the 'PRICES' folder to create charts for u. but u can select watchlists to access logical groups u create and work within them; so u really don't need to handle that jumble called 'All' most of the time. If u close the program with watchlist XYZ in view, it shud open with XYZ in view.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Last edited:

asnavale

Hello pgd,

Thank you for the detailed and clear explanation. In SE Version, irrespective of what was shown at the time of exiting the program, next time the program opens with ASX only. So it means renaming to BSE or NSE is temporary. So I will continue with it. It does not matter much.

I have this new query for displaying data. You may please reply at your convinience.

1) If I load two years data, say Jan 2004 onwards, I can select various periods for display such as 1 month, 3 months, 1 year, 18 months etc. This selected period always displays the data for latest portion of the whole data. So, 2 months displays latest 2 months (Dec 05 and Jan 06). But I want to display a portion of data for the period I select, say for Apr 2005 to Aug 2005. How do I do this?
2) When I display data for a shorter period than the whole data available how to pane through the chart. I mean, if I display 6 months data, how can I move the left or right keeping the period same. Let us say I am displaying 6 months data (Aug 05 to Jan 06). Is it possible to shift the chart view back so that the chart period moves back and forth either one bar at a time or a fixed number of bars (10, 15 or 20 etc) at a time.

Regards

-Anant

pgd

asnavale said:
Hello pgd,

Thank you for the detailed and clear explanation. In SE Version, irrespective of what was shown at the time of exiting the program, next time the program opens with ASX only. So it means renaming to BSE or NSE is temporary. So I will continue with it. It does not matter much.

I have this new query for displaying data. You may please reply at your convinience.

1) If I load two years data, say Jan 2004 onwards, I can select various periods for display such as 1 month, 3 months, 1 year, 18 months etc. This selected period always displays the data for latest portion of the whole data. So, 2 months displays latest 2 months (Dec 05 and Jan 06). But I want to display a portion of data for the period I select, say for Apr 2005 to Aug 2005. How do I do this?
2) When I display data for a shorter period than the whole data available how to pane through the chart. I mean, if I display 6 months data, how can I move the left or right keeping the period same. Let us say I am displaying 6 months data (Aug 05 to Jan 06). Is it possible to shift the chart view back so that the chart period moves back and forth either one bar at a time or a fixed number of bars (10, 15 or 20 etc) at a time.

Regards

-Anant
Anant,

1) double click the main chart. this brings up a floating chart window where u can then can do the following.
2) since u want to display apr 2005-aug 2005, select a period that covers apr 2005 till today (perhaps slightly longer). So, in this case, 1 year shud work fine.
3) there's a little check box next to the period u just selected. check that. now u r in zoom view.
4) Right click on the chart and drag right until u reach the period u want to view. U cn drag back and forth to change the range of the shorter period u view within the longer period u select.

cheers.

hi pgd thanks for ur guidance but i m failing in the last part .my data file is not containing any blank row but when ultimately i m usinf import text file it is saying import failed and no chart is displayed

Dear pgd,

Your quote
"The columns needed for import into FCharts are:
SYMBOL DATE OPEN HIGH LOW CLOSE VOLUME
This link gives the columns exactly as required:
http://trader.e2uhosting.net/bhavcopy.php?ex=nse"

Here Date is in the form "YYYYMMDD" where as when it is downloaded from www.nseindia.com it is in the form "dd-mmm-yyyy" which is working perfectly. Will the data downloaded from "http://trader.e2uhosting.net/bhavcopy.php?ex=nse" will work as well ?:confused:

Hello Shrees,

I'm working on Fcharts Intraday issue and would need your help truly for the betterment of the whole community. Pleaes check :

http://www.traderji.com/data-feeds/5818-how-import-intraday-data-into-fcharts-se-regularly.html

Thanks,
Truly waiting to hear,
Regards,
Sanjay.

shrees said:
This is a free software which can be downloaded at

http://spacejock.com

Getting Yahoo data into this :
======================
1. I have enclosed a txt file with NSE stock codes.Download this and save it with a ".csv" extension.

2. Run FCharts.

3. Click on the "Settings" - it is between "Drawing" & "Help" on the left side.

a. In the pop-up..click on price cleanup.
b. In the next pop-up click on "Delete All Prices and All Companies".. This
will delete all unwanted data first.Exit pop-up.

4. Next click on "Import Export" - on left upper side.

a. In the pop-up click on "Other Data"...in the next pop-up "Import tickers".
Select the ".csv" file that you saved. This will import the stock codes.

5. Next again click on "Settings".

a. In the pop-up click on "Downloader". Paste this url in "Data downloader"
and "Backfill Url"

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/tab...D&f=eYYYY&g=d&a=sMM&b=sDD&c=sYYYY&ignore=.csv

b. Change the "Start Date" & "End Date" to whatever dates you want. Exit.

6. Again click "Settings".."Other Urls" and paste this url.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=@@@.NS&d=v1

Exit by pressing "OK".

7. Now,On top you will see 5 drop down lists. Select All() in the second and the third drop downs. In the fourth drop down if you click on the down arrow you will be able to see the stock codes that you imported earlier. Highlight the code for which you wish to download historical data.

8.On the top big window, Right-click...this will give a pop-up with "Data" as one of the options. Click on it,and then on.."Download 12 months using back refill Url".

Thats it. You are done. Repeat 7 & 8 for as many stocks as you want.

I will clarify further if necessary.

If you are using Medved QUotetracker...you can further connect Fcharts and quotetracker for intraday data uploading also. If anyone needs info on how to do this I will explain.

Best Wishes
Shri.

pgd

jaydebajay said:
Dear pgd,

Your quote
"The columns needed for import into FCharts are:
SYMBOL DATE OPEN HIGH LOW CLOSE VOLUME
This link gives the columns exactly as required:
http://trader.e2uhosting.net/bhavcopy.php?ex=nse"

Here Date is in the form "YYYYMMDD" where as when it is downloaded from www.nseindia.com it is in the form "dd-mmm-yyyy" which is working perfectly. Will the data downloaded from "http://trader.e2uhosting.net/bhavcopy.php?ex=nse" will work as well ?:confused:
Hi jaydebajay,

sorry for delayed reply.
both date formats u mentioned work equally well in FCharts.

cheers.

Last edited:
This is a free software which can be downloaded at

http://spacejock.com

Getting Yahoo data into this :
======================
1. I have enclosed a txt file with NSE stock codes.Download this and save it with a ".csv" extension.

2. Run FCharts.

3. Click on the "Settings" - it is between "Drawing" & "Help" on the left side.

a. In the pop-up..click on price cleanup.
b. In the next pop-up click on "Delete All Prices and All Companies".. This
will delete all unwanted data first.Exit pop-up.

4. Next click on "Import Export" - on left upper side.

a. In the pop-up click on "Other Data"...in the next pop-up "Import tickers".
Select the ".csv" file that you saved. This will import the stock codes.

5. Next again click on "Settings".

a. In the pop-up click on "Downloader". Paste this url in "Data downloader"
and "Backfill Url"

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/tab...D&f=eYYYY&g=d&a=sMM&b=sDD&c=sYYYY&ignore=.csv

b. Change the "Start Date" & "End Date" to whatever dates you want. Exit.

6. Again click "Settings".."Other Urls" and paste this url.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=@@@.NS&d=v1

Exit by pressing "OK".

7. Now,On top you will see 5 drop down lists. Select All() in the second and the third drop downs. In the fourth drop down if you click on the down arrow you will be able to see the stock codes that you imported earlier. Highlight the code for which you wish to download historical data.

8.On the top big window, Right-click...this will give a pop-up with "Data" as one of the options. Click on it,and then on.."Download 12 months using back refill Url".

Thats it. You are done. Repeat 7 & 8 for as many stocks as you want.

I will clarify further if necessary.

If you are using Medved QUotetracker...you can further connect Fcharts and quotetracker for intraday data uploading also. If anyone needs info on how to do this I will explain.

Best Wishes
Shri.
HI I AM HR NAYAAK NEW 2 THIS GRUP .I HAV F CHARTS FREE VER .IS IT WORTH GETTING PRO VERTION?I DOWN LOADED FREE HIZXTORICAL DATA.BUT CAN NOT UP DATE IT WITH YAHOO SOME TICKERS HAV DIF SYBOLS .HOW 2 RECTIFY THIS? CAN V LOAD BHAV COPY IN THIS SOFTWARE. NO FUTERS DATA PLS HELP