How would market (Sensex/Nifty) perform during next week 27/10/2008 to 31/10/2008 ??

How would market (Sensex/Nifty) perform during next week 27/10/2008 to 31/10/2008??

• Total voters

AW10

Re: How would market (Sensex/Nifty) perform during next week 27/10/2008 to 31/10/2008

DJ123143,
200 bar MA on Monthly chart ? It made me thinking because I haven't seen it before hence started questioning myself? Just want to kickoff the thought process behind Moving Average indicator, I am writing this post.

Why do we use 200 dma on Daily bars ? Becuase it reflects 1 years average trend. Fund managers annual bonus depends on yearly performance, funds have to publish annual report (for regulatory reasons). With these points 200 day average makes sense.

Why we use 50 dma on Daily bars ? Becuase it reflects roughly 1 quarter of average trend. funds have to publish quartlery report (for regulatory reasons). reasonably long time to make any changes to improve annual performance. So, with these points 50 day average also makes sense.

Many monthly performance oriented people use 20day MA.
For daytraders, 200 bar MA roughly covers 3 days of timeframe (1 trading day = 5.5 hr = 66 bars of 5 min duration which very common day trading timeframe). 50 bar MA can roughly be used as indicator of 1 trading day.

When we apply these number 200 or 50 to other timeframes (like monthly, weekly), we need to ask basic question - does it make sense ? what is it going to measure/indicate?

With your execercise of 200 bar MA on Monthly chart, we are roughly taking average of price action of 4000 days , or 16 to 17yrs of average yearly trend. Does it make sense ? Does market participants use it? If you are not convinced then probably you are the only person trading this number and market partcipants care least about it.
(please don't take it personally, I am just trying to kickoff the thought process behind understanding the indicators well). I have seen this approach taken by many analysts when analysing long term chart. They apply 50 bar MA on weekly chart and write whole conclusion based on the foundation that is questionable. Probably thats why they are analyst, not trader.

Or is it that I am missing something that you see?

Happy Trading

Re: How would market (Sensex/Nifty) perform during next week 27/10/2008 to 31/10/2008

DJ123143,
200 bar MA on Monthly chart ? It made me thinking because I haven't seen it before hence started questioning myself? Just want to kickoff the thought process behind Moving Average indicator, I am writing this post.

Why do we use 200 dma on Daily bars ? Becuase it reflects 1 years average trend. Fund managers annual bonus depends on yearly performance, funds have to publish annual report (for regulatory reasons). With these points 200 day average makes sense.

Why we use 50 dma on Daily bars ? Becuase it reflects roughly 1 quarter of average trend. funds have to publish quartlery report (for regulatory reasons). reasonably long time to make any changes to improve annual performance. So, with these points 50 day average also makes sense.

For daytraders, 200 bar MA roughly covers 3 days of timeframe (1 trading day = 5.5 hr = 66 bars of 5 min duration which very common day trading timeframe). 50 bar MA can roughly be used as indicator of 1 trading day.

When we apply these number 200 or 50 to other timeframes (like monthly, weekly), we need to ask basic question - does it make sense ? what is it going to measure/indicate?

With your execercise of 200 bar MA on Monthly chart, we are roughly taking average of price action of 4000 days , or 16 to 17yrs of average yearly trend. Does it make sense ? Does market participants use it? If you are not convinced then probably you are the only person trading this number and market partcipants care least about it.
(please don't take it personally, I am just trying to kickoff the thought process behind understanding the indicators well). I have seen this approach taken by many analysts when analysing long term chart. They apply 50 bar MA on weekly chart and write whole conclusion based on the foundation that is questionable. Probably thats why they are analyst, not trader.

Happy Trading
aw10, do you know that if you are an economist or financial guy and you want to prove something, you have to take 30 yrs data, any data less than that is believed to be skewed. 30 yrs is 1 generation and you can look at any professional article or theses that is the standard. people take 100 yrs data but 30 is the absolute minimum.

orderflow13

DJ123143,

Happy Trading
one point is missing is +ve, -ve crossover .... another point missing is mean of every moving averages.. point is rarely mentioned.. if we seeing 200 dma/ema/jma .. and we see its downwards, but how many of us see the length from its mean ? ( or middle line in moving averages ) , we ta guys discard the ' market efficient theory' n believe market tends to move in between its true fundamental value, some times higher some times lower but always oscillating around mean value.MA above mentioned emphasize the logic of fundamentals, but how we benefit? answer is if ma stretched more from mean value ( historical levels ) then see the past data whenever that happened ma's stretched back to mean value...its rubber band effect, we can use 200 dma 50 dma crossover to get in early on such stretched ma's from mean...
disclaimer.. i dont trade on ma's but try to make a point that nothing is bad n nothing is good in market i will debate face to face till eternity but no use, rather i like to see my bank balance, whatever is the system trade with it, everything is good, caveat is user must be capable enough.Remember Warren buffet , rakesh zunzunwala are the known billionaires till date,they use fundamentals and money managements, moving averages are the most realistic indicators which ever dare to come closer to fundamental analysis... n those guys even dnt trade pivots .. no hard feeling to any one or no any personal comments to anyone