How to trade Commodities - Gold, Silver, Crude Oil, Natural Gas

Easier to Trade - Commodities or Indexes or Stocks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Candle patterns should already be there, if its common you should be able to find it. Someone would've already done it and its out there :) Same goes with all popular platforms like Metatrader, Metastock, Amibroker....
Will soon provide a list, few candle patterns are there but few bar and candle patterns patterns are still to be coded/collected ...i hope all of us can do it collectively....otherwise as a last option i would attack coding myself.:)...

There are few special bar patterns, 80% back-testing results on Excel, i want to scan Weekly charts for them...

Kamleshji, you got the excel sheet for this? This looks sweet. Can you please post here or send the links? or PM?

Also, one needs to be careful with just options OI, it might be bearish on the options front, what one needs to see is the range, where high OI are there in PE and CE. The options OI might suggest something, but we will not know the strategy of the big guys, they might be hedging their futures/stocks positions with buying or writing options.

Cheers!!

Kamleshji, you got the excel sheet for this? This looks sweet. Can you please post here or send the links? or PM?

Also, one needs to be careful with just options OI, it might be bearish on the options front, what one needs to see is the range, where high OI are there in PE and CE. The options OI might suggest something, but we will not know the strategy of the big guys, they might be hedging their futures/stocks positions with buying or writing options.

Cheers!!
right now i am working on it...want to make is as good as possible...i will share it with you guys by March -end.........Another mechanical system also i am going to share with you...

,,,,in the excel sheet open interest change less than 10% i have ignored in the ALERT column,,......

Most people here probably trade just the precious metals, base metals and energy products on MCX. But there are a few agro commodities where there are decent volumes. Mentha oil, Cardamom & Potato.

There is a good trade coming up in Mentha oil. Open up the chart and you will see that it has moved up from 1300 couple of months back to some 2200 currently. Recent upmove has been almost vertical. Well what i've seen many many times is that what goes up vertically like this, also comes down like this.

There is no perfect way to trade this. Cause mkts with such crazy momentum can go on indefinitely. Few ways to trade this on the downside. Choose what suits you -

a. Just short and hold till end of March expiry. Obviously this will mean that prices will go against you. No one can say by how much. My expectation is it shouldn't be more than 200 bucks. Downside you should get that much and more. But this can only be done with small position size. I am not the kind who can hold onto a losing position till eternity so I don't like this method.

b. OI - I am not sure about this method either as I havn't followed OI in these contracts ever. Current OI in Mentha March futures is around 4200 lots. That's a decent amount. I would watch out for time when OI reduces dramatically as these would mean ppl holding longs would finally cover and short would cave in. Mkt would then come down over the next few sessions.

c. Price gaps - Look for 3 consecutive gaps. Third gap is typically an exhaustion gap.

d. Upper circuit and lower circuit - This i feel is the most appropriate method to trade. Wait for price to hit upper circuit. Now put limit sell order below the flat mark for that particular day. If prices come down below that sell orders get triggered. Now just hold with the high for the day as stop. or a 2% stop also would be fine. Often mentha has done this as a reversal. Upper circuit. Then dramatic sell-off leading to lower circuit and a lower opening the next day.

~ Make money, not mistakes.
~ Cheers

For those who trade base metals here - at what time do the contracts for base metals expire on MCX. Like Nifty futures expire at 3:30 on expiry day, rupee contract expires at 12 or 12:30 on expiry day.. What time do base metal contracts expire ??
Aluminium, Lead, Nickel, Tin, Zinc & their mini lots generally expire on expiry date at 06.35 p.m. and Copper expires on expiry date at 11:55 p.m. or 11:30 p.m. (as per market timings). But there may be some variance (one and half an hour) as per exchange circular.

Hi All, I have a question, For commodity Treading, do i need to have

1. Only commodity account
2. Commodity + Demat account
3. Commodity + demat + treading

if i am not taking any delivery at the end of contract (for commodity), then only commodity account would be enough to tread and i don't required any demat/treading account, please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks
Samit

Status
Not open for further replies.