How to trade any future on a daily or longer time frame ?

DanPickUp

Dan,
Why are you not posting any further inputs. I don't know about others, but i would like to learn from you. I have traded Minifty index future in nse and GOLDM in MCX and at present trading goldguinea in MCX and usdinr in nse currency future. I trade on the basis of SMA. A close below the SMA sell and above the SMA buy. I find that it gives good profit when it is in a trend but takes away much of it when in a range. In one of your posts you have stated that you use MAs for understanding trend but don't use them for trade. I would like to know your methods of trading.

Laksh
Dear Laksh

It takes time to do a thread, specially when it comes to system developing or explaining a whole subject only with words. I do not know if you ever did such a thread or if you lead any where such a thread. One of such kind of thread is enough for me (Options with DPU). Doing a second one on such a high level: Not possible for me because of time.

As I am in options and hedging (and I do that at the CME), I have other tools which give me information I work with. Future trading is purely on direction as options on the other hand can be traded with less market direction knowledge. I have an arsenal from different methods I can use, depending how markets are. There are methods for sideways markets as well as there are methods for trendy markets.

If trading on a pure chart, I prefer ranges and maths. I am some times wrong with my market direction, but as told, that not must be a problem in option trading as long as I not start to trade options purely on direction. One of such directional option trades I did that week on the Euro and it was a pure play on the news, placed in the market at the moment I recognized the value of it. (Interest rate where cut in the Euro zone and market just plunged) No MA or what so ever indicator was used for that.

Tools I use in my methods: Vola of underlying and vola of the options, Price differences between put and call, Put/call ratio, market sentiment, Open Interest, just to mention a few.

DanPickUp

sridhar

Dear sridhar,
how we can put stop loss order & a limit profit order simultaneously ? i think we can't put stop loss order & a limit profit order simultaneously.:confused:
which trading S/W you are using ?

Thanks & regards
We first execute the trade to take a position. If I am trading in Futures then I place a Stop Loss Limit order (Ie. limit order with a trigger/SL price). The value of the trigger will be the stop loss I have internally decided. Each broker has his own way of presenting this but it usually is calle Limit with trigger price.
After this I place a Limit order for the price target I am looking for.

Eg. I have gone long @ Rs. 100. My stop loss is 97 & target is 113. My orders will be as follows:-

1. Buy order @ 100.

2.After this is executed I place a stop loss Trigger order - "Sell Order" as follows:-
Trigger Price(also called Stop Loss Price) - 97 & Limit Price 96.8
If markent moves against my position, then the moment price falls to 97 Sell Order will be triggered & executed in the Band 97 to 96.8.

3. I also place a Limit Sell order at 113. If market moves up this order will get executed at 113.

Necessarily I need to cancel the order that is not executed.

Pls. note that each brokerage has a different way of presenting this format so it is better to check with your manager & do a small trial order first.

We are using 2 Charting Softwares. Wife uses Precision Technicals Profision. I am using Investar form InvestarIndia.

i m not doing spam, but just telling u to visit my just started thread and grill my " Nilu Indicator " which has a simplest ever method, even children can start trading by just putting 10 min of effort per day.

Laksh

Dear Laksh

It takes time to do a thread, specially when it comes to system developing or explaining a whole subject only with words. I do not know if you ever did such a thread or if you lead any where such a thread. One of such kind of thread is enough for me (Options with DPU). Doing a second one on such a high level: Not possible for me because of time.

As I am in options and hedging (and I do that at the CME), I have other tools which give me information I work with. Future trading is purely on direction as options on the other hand can be traded with less market direction knowledge. I have an arsenal from different methods I can use, depending how markets are. There are methods for sideways markets as well as there are methods for trendy markets.

If trading on a pure chart, I prefer ranges and maths. I am some times wrong with my market direction, but as told, that not must be a problem in option trading as long as I not start to trade options purely on direction. One of such directional option trades I did that week on the Euro and it was a pure play on the news, placed in the market at the moment I recognized the value of it. (Interest rate where cut in the Euro zone and market just plunged) No MA or what so ever indicator was used for that.

Tools I use in my methods: Vola of underlying and vola of the options, Price differences between put and call, Put/call ratio, market sentiment, Open Interest, just to mention a few.

DanPickUp
Dan,
could understand your difficulty, hence not pressing the point any further. But I hope that you find an occasional opportunity to post here whatever you think could be of help. i'm not a newbie trader and have some knowledge of FA &TA. i,ve also traded international spot forex market, though not sucessfully. Hence I think an occasional hint here and there could be of help to me.

Laksh

saivenkat

I agree with Laksh.. May be if Dan finds time.. in scripting a few hints about this strategy.. it will save a loads of time for many of us.. because..most of us are in search of better afl's and backtesting back testing.. and back testing.. till it becomes a testing time for our aching back..and finally switch for another afl..

But the thing.. is that strategical approach.. in trading futures.. is of prime importance..and is the first thing that one should learn.. without which one may have successful trades on few occasions.. but will not long last..

What we, especially guys like me lack.. is that ... a concrete strategy..that which imbibes in all conditions of entries, exits..sl.. money management..and the most important of all is the fear factor that grips in... when once we are in to a position.. whether it is in profit or in loss...

And therefore, IMHO.. what i feel is that.. a few short listed hints.. would be suffice than in reading lot of books..
The reason being that.. books contain.. loads of views and approaches and its difficult for many of lesser morsels like me.. to digest and put them in practice..and further more..but then, the short listed hints (posts), if given by Dan would carry in it the valuable and direct experience..and would be easy to put in to practice..

Just my views..

DanPickUp

Hi

I am an option trader and I am a hedger. You are on the other hand are hard trend traders. No valuation about that. Just different kind of trading styles. :)

As I do enter a trade in a different way compare to you directional traders, my parameters are different and are not compatible with your directional future trading what ever system it is.

I am not a help for your guys when it comes to such directional future trading systems.

I have posted a frame work trading plan for option and hedge traders in my thread and if you go through it, you will recognize what I mean. If you have any questions there which would give you a hint, just post it and I will have a look at it.

http://www.traderji.com/options/66266-option-trading-danpickup-14.html#post703549

Good trading

DanPickUp

Laksh

Dan,

Thanx for ur post. Gone through ur option thread. The types of trades u suggest is very difficult for small traders like us for several reasons. Lisiting some of them below:-
1. The lot size is very uncomfortable for traders with a small sized a/c.
2. Except in nifty the liquidity is very low - even in minifty options.
3. Even in nifty the liquidity is good only for the current month. If one is thinking of horizontal spread one would find it difficult to find one even in nifty options.
4. No options available for hedging commodity futures.
5. In currency options are available only for usdinr. To me this seems to be the only suitable option for practicing option strategies for traders with small capital base.

However, i ve learnt a new way of deciding short term trend from ur thread.

Laksh

ok! An update after a long time.

I have worked out our stratergy and after some paper trials my wife has taken it live with trades in stocks. ( she gets time to sit in front of the terminal !!). Also we are using 2 different charting softwares so ot works like double confirmation.

heartfelt thanks to sh for his 315 system which i have used as the bedrock of my stratergy.
basically we use either 5/13(wife) or 3/15(myself) ema crossovers. We are finding that both give signals at around the same time. Additional emas are 20, 34 & 50.

Adx is used to confirm trend. - we use setting of 9.
Rsi (9) & stochastics (9,5,3) are the secondary indicators.
Atr (5) - i just use it to get an idea of possible range of daily movement. But it does not work too well when the scrip breaks out. Many people say stop loss should be @ 1.5 atr, but i have found this to create excessive loss if position moves against you. So work out s/l based on support resistance levels or % loss acceptable.

Support & resistance lines are the most important. - these are drawn manually. The more the no. Of touches the stronger is the line & i increase its line thickness accordingly.

Volume is most important. I look for atleast 200% increase vis a vis of 50day average to even look at a scrip. I found this works to filter out manipulation. I also look at the % increase in price vis a vis volume increase. Gives some idea of the strength of interest, though it is not foolproof.

Now the methodology is something like this:-

(we are cuurently only tracking bullish movements. So following comments apply accordingly.)
1. Study the chart after getting 3/15 or 5/13 crossover. Done in the evening immediately after data is available - so monday to thursdays no evenings out:(. Needless to mention there must be significant volume activity (atleast 200% rise).
2. Based on this select stocks that we are familiar with & are atleast rs.60-70 in price. I further limit myself to only f&o stocks as in future i plan to trade in futures only. Currently we look for bullish signals only as wife always trades in shares & so may need to take short term delivery. (currently she is the only one of us actually effecting trades.)
3. Draw support & resistance lines or update if already there.
4. Look at the candlesticks patterns - this shows u whether the scrip has done double bottom, h&s or some other clear pattern.
5. See how adx is behaving. It has to have a positive upwards slope. It also must be above 20. If it is showing a flat slope or a downwards bias it is not a good sign. If adx has declined below 25 & has downward slope then also it is an indication of end of trend or sideways movement. Frankly you need to develop an eye for the chart so that with a glance you can tell whether it is a good adx pattern or not.
Please note that upward sloping adx line also appears when the scrip is going down. Also when adx peaks out & goes sideways or downwards it is a sign of trend reversal. Of course a day or 2 down the line this can again change. Behaviour is also to be studied in conjunction with volume, +di & -di.
6. +di indicator should have crossed above -di indicator. The sharpness of the crossover & the slope of the seperation gives some idea of the strength of move - though this is not an universal rule.
Wife does not care too much about the adx rule. But she has been tracking the market for 10 years on a daily basis so the individual stocks behavours are there in her mind.!! :d
7. We compare notes and shortlist good scrips.
8. Trade is entered into based on levels. Theoretically you can just buy above determined price, put a stop loss order & a limit profit order & just forget about it for the day. This would work perfectly for stock futures. However we are going in for small quantities of stocks (as we are validating & creating rules on the go). So we either take a btst trade or take delivery & sell afterwards. Currently we are not utilising any margin.
Wife currently tracks the scrips throughout the day, but that is more to catch some fast move & exit quickly. I feel that it would be best to keep a watch on the scrips on intraday basis till we get the total pulse of the move.
Each scrip has its own behaviour pattern. But they all show rise, consolidation, rise type of moves & the support/resistance lines give you advance warning.
9. Get out of the trade when you feel your target is achieved.
10.we are finding that sh's 315 rules re adding to positions works, but currently we have allocated limited capital and so are switching to newer scrips.
10. The same suspects keep cropping up again & again - making life easier once you get the hang of the scrip's movements.
11. We have found that the rules above are giving us an indication a day or two before the pundits on tv start on the scrips.
12. You need to get an idea of which scrips are being blatantly manipulated & it may be best to stay away from such scrips.
13. We have found that 20ema & 50ema are important triggers. Prices crossing these levels brings in a lot of interest. Mostly it is in the direction of the move.

Now work to be done is as follows:-

a]shortlist scrips that one will track. I am looking at f&o scrips having high beta, decent turnover & fundamentals. Still working out the parameters & will share once i am done.

B]find out where data for open interst in futures & options-(put calls) is available. This hopefully will give an idea of the likely limits to which the scrip will move. Do not know if this is a right way of judging strength of move - seniors your thoughts please!.

C] refine the drawing of support & resistance. Are there any references or rules regarding this?

I will post some typical charts alongwith my comments. Later on i will post details of some actual trades done by us over the past few days.
We still have to calculate actual p&l but a thumbrule seems to be 5% per trade. Currently we are being ripped off by icicidirect in the brokerage. So that is another area where i have to do something.

NICE INITIATIVE SRIDHAR... Hope you will be back soon with some more interesting findings and parameters....

DanPickUp

Dan,

Thanx for ur post. Gone through ur option thread. The types of trades u suggest is very difficult for small traders like us for several reasons. Lisiting some of them below:-
1. The lot size is very uncomfortable for traders with a small sized a/c.
2. Except in nifty the liquidity is very low - even in minifty options.
3. Even in nifty the liquidity is good only for the current month. If one is thinking of horizontal spread one would find it difficult to find one even in nifty options.
4. No options available for hedging commodity futures.
5. In currency options are available only for usdinr. To me this seems to be the only suitable option for practicing option strategies for traders with small capital base.

However, i ve learnt a new way of deciding short term trend from ur thread.

Laksh
Dear Laksh

I think I am clear about most of the points you mentioned and I even explained in the option thread, that I am aware about the points you mentioned.

Even than: It is possible to trade quit a few option strategies in Indian market. If you look into the following links, then you will see some examples:

http://www.optionwin.com/

http://www.optionwin.com/Strategy/Nakedput

http://www.optionwin.com/Strategy/PutCalendarSpread

Just check any strategy by clicking on it.

Edit: After clicking on any strategy you have to click on analyzes to get the generalized idea those people want to show about that specific option strategy. In some cases they are not able to do so because of lack of what ever

The examples shown are shown the way they are shown all over the world: If it is now in India or in the States, they are shown all over the same to the public.

Even than: Some ideas are there which really can be implemented in that general matter even in the Indian market.

Have a good start in the new week and as always

Good trading

DanPickUp

Last edited: