How to exit a successful trade!

AW10

Execellent topic for discussion on one of the most difficult part of trading to master. When asked to successful traders about which area they would like to improve further - majority of time thier answer is EXITs. Good to see the ideas and approach adopted by others.

My Exit approach depends on the strategy used for the trade.. for breakout/ bounce based strategy, I have two exits. They are determined by ATR. ATR gives a fairly good idea about the possible size of the next bar. Each instrument/stock has its own ATR value so I am not limited by any fixed Rs. number. I use standard 14 period ATR. My first profit target is 1*ATR where 50% of position is taken out. Rest of the position goes of at second target at 1.5 *ATR.

Once breakout is successful, then I reenter on retracement under my trend following strategy. With that strategy, my 1/3rd position is taken out at 50% of my risk amount. Another 1/3rd at 150% of risk amount and last 1/3rd is left to ride the trend with trailing stops.

This 3 exit strategy satisfy my fear - by taking profit asap, my ego - by booking profit at T2 and making position slightly in profit and my greed by letting my 1/3rd position ride as much as market allows.

Not to mention, stop order is always in place and adjust in size whenever T1/T2 is hit.
My stops at positioned at market structure level and I don't move them to intermediate point where price did not stop. Partial exit at T1, helps in reducing the trade risk without moving the stops to a random number other then mkt pivot level.

Hope it gives people idea to experiment further.

Happy Trading.

biyasc

i think it depends on ur trading strategy...im goin long trend in an uptrend at the break of the previous pivot high...if trading in RNRL catching a 65 - 75 paisa profit in 1 move is actually doing very well...1st 1/3rd profit taking i actually aim for a 30 - 35 paisa move.next may follow at 60paisa.
if i get a huge mov in the first 1/3 rd itself then i wud exit all my position at my entry if trade reverses.
in scalping i also find the close of a wrb a gud place to capture profits..most of the times ive seen wrb's in rnrl at the breakout of a pivot...have to replace rnrl with nifty for trading.
i think every stock has its own way of movement .i think sticking to 1 or 2 stocks & nifty fut wud be the best.
as for testing exit strategies its best to develop a system & backtest it which wud require gud programing knowledge,sumthing which i lack.
give ur views also.
you are absolutely right vikram.

for scalping i use b/o entry method on 5-mnt charts. i take position on 5-mnt b/o bar, place stops at pre defined level. if stop survives, i exit full exact 5 minutes after the b/o (in profit/loss). i dont see any pattern, any pl/ph, or i dont use any trail stops in exiting scalp trades.

Last edited:

biyasc

Chataji,

One question please......

Asish (Aca Trader) & u both have written somewhere that for greater profit trade should be run upto 3 pm.
now if u place stop like this how long it will survive.......?

or did u changed ur strategy........?
on that time my goal was to be profitable on yearly/half-yearly/quarterly basis.

on these days, my aim is to be profitable on monthly/weekly/daily basis.

hope you understood.:)

Dear Sir,:)
As with my trading experience I SUGGEST TO GO WITH THE TREND with predetermined loss.I have experinced on many days when I exit my position by fixed target price,the price is further going up only.
With Thanks,
Ram.

pokrate

Security never reverses abruptly !
Use this low volatility zone to hold tight, and if possible use ur own profit booking strategy. And if you can analyse, speculate the future course, go ahead with it. This alongwith ATR method discussed earlier in this post by AW10 will work well always.

pokrate

Dear Sir,:)
As with my trading experience I SUGGEST TO GO WITH THE TREND with predetermined loss.I have experinced on many days when I exit my position by fixed target price,the price is further going up only.
With Thanks,
Ram.
Your method is good too without any harm, except that one needs to be a master in timing the entry right.

Always Pyramid WINS ,never Avg Losing trades,heard so many times but we fall for the trap.
U r right Asish. It is difficult to follow and stick to the method even we know it is good........

I think - knowing when to exit a trade is more important for a trader! In other words - its when you exit that counts!

The best exiting strategy for any trade is to use a trailing stoploss based on volatility and exit when the stoploss is hit.

Good thread. I tend to think the vast majority of trades are contextual. The only overarching rule I have is that my stop losses need to have technical significance. I don't believe in randomly ascribing stop losses based on some twisted desire to book profits.

My exit strategy is therefore one of (or a combination of) target levels that revolve around a resistance point, retracement lines or on occasion the target price is linked to a point where price movement is getting overheated (overbought) - RSI linked. I don't follow one system, so it is subjective.

The biggest, most common evil is not allowing a trade to run.