Faster Win-XP Boot up and improve PC performance

pkjha30

I run racepro from religare in both my PC and laptop. In laptop I face no problem. But in my PC, I face a peculiar problem. when a watch list is opened, the back ground white color is painted from top to bottom slowly for some time. The window control buttons for maximize, minimize and close remain grayed. After some time it becomes OK. Graphing is a problem. It takes more time. Previously same racepro was working without any problem. As I thought soem installed software might have created problem, I reinstalled windows and updates and java. But still problem persists. Any solutions welcome. My PC is having graphic card Nvidia geforce 7300GT and monitor is LG LCD 19" with digital input.
This is invariably Graphics driver problem. You can download latest driver for your card and update it.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_178.24_whql_uk.html

Read install guide and user manual . Don't uninstall existing driver but click on upgrade driver from Windows control panel>> system>>Device manager>>Display Adapter>>properties>>Driver>>update driver and point to latest downloaded file.

I hope that solves you problem.

Backup of critical data file is always advisable.

pk:)

lvgandhi

This is invariably Graphics driver problem. You can download latest driver for your card and update it.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_178.24_whql_uk.html

Read install guide and user manual . Don't uninstall existing driver but click on upgrade driver from Windows control panel>> system>>Device manager>>Display Adapter>>properties>>Driver>>update driver and point to latest downloaded file.

I hope that solves you problem.

Backup of critical data file is always advisable.

Thanks you for the help. I have already installed the latest drivers. But still the problem persists when market watch windows opens. The selected scrip background color, which is white, is redrawn slowly. The buttons of windows close, maxmize, minimize appears after that. I also thing is to do with graphics driver. Or combination of Java and graphics driver. Because racepro depends on Java. Program window doesn't have any problem. Market watch window only has problem. I fell market watch window is done by Java which has some problem with graphics card driver. Any solutions, please?

pakatil

Sometimes JRE versions can create problems. When I updated from 1.6 to 1.6.3, NSE Charting was not working. Hence reverted back to 1.6. Havn't updated till now as RacePro & all others are working well for me.

I think RacePro 4.3 was devoloped with support from JRE 1.5.10. Not sure if latest versions can cause problems. Heard that many applications work well in 1.5, but not on 1.6. Quite weird.

Cheers

pkjha30

I am not sure if this will help but there is no harm in trying this tip.

You can try turning down hardware acceleration in the guest. There's a slider under Display Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot. Keep turning it down until the problem goes away (1 or 2 notches should do it).
This is probably due to buffering problem in graphics driver caused by Java having unintended effect on DirectDraw and Direct 3D acceleration.

Also check the RacePro 4.3 documentation to see what is the program specification and requirement. May be java versions have conflict issues.

lvgandhi

I am not sure if this will help but there is no harm in trying this tip.

This is probably due to buffering problem in graphics driver caused by Java having unintended effect on DirectDraw and Direct 3D acceleration.

Also check the RacePro 4.3 documentation to see what is the program specification and requirement. May be java versions have conflict issues.

Yes disabling direct draw by moving slider 2 points back has solved the problem. However finally as Pakatil said I have removed java 1.6.11 and put 1.5.5. and normalized hardware acceleration. Now racepro is working with out redrawing problem. Race pro works OK with Intel graphics in my laptop with java 1.6.11 with full hardware acceleration.

Last edited:
Hi pkjha30
My system is dualcore 1.6, 1GB ddr2,945GEC.The problem is after shut down,sw on the cpu it takes 75secs to show motherboard display after that it takes another 1min to boot up xp screen, and successfully booted.After booted there is no problem working fine.While running the pc if I restart, it boots up normaly. What could be the possible reason?I changed ram and chequed powersupply all or ok.
sikandar

pkjha30

Yes disabling direct draw by moving slider 2 points back has solved the problem. However finally as Pakatil said I have removed java 1.6.11 and put 1.5.5. and normalized hardware acceleration. Now racepro is working with out redrawing problem. Race pro works OK with Intel graphics in my laptop with java 1.6.11 with full hardware acceleration.
Glad that it works well. Looks like between Java 1.6 and 1.5 versions some incompatible changes are there. So either racePro has to update or you have to downgrade as you did already. You can tell them of this issue so that some tech work could be done on their part to solve incompatibilities.

pkjha30

Hi pkjha30
My system is dualcore 1.6, 1GB ddr2,945GEC.The problem is after shut down,sw on the cpu it takes 75secs to show motherboard display after that it takes another 1min to boot up xp screen, and successfully booted.After booted there is no problem working fine.While running the pc if I restart, it boots up normaly. What could be the possible reason?I changed ram and chequed powersupply all or ok.
sikandar
You have lot of programmes which startup on boot and their state has to be saved on shutdown. So need to clean up start up programmes and services for faster boot/shutdown. Use Startup Cleaner to disable what you don't need. Also stop services or put in manual mode or disable altogether if you don't need them

For that go to Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>> Services and go through the list of all services which have started and are on automatic mode. And disable some which are not needed.

You have lot of programmes which startup on boot and their state has to be saved on shutdown. So need to clean up start up programmes and services for faster boot/shutdown. Use Startup Cleaner to disable what you don't need. Also stop services or put in manual mode or disable altogether if you don't need them

For that go to Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>> Services and go through the list of all services which have started and are on automatic mode. And disable some which are not needed.

Thanks pk for the quick response. I have already optimized start up and total system.Problem not solved when I switch on pc, Motherboard screen displays after1.5min and viceversa.
regards

pkjha30

Thanks pk for the quick response. I have already optimized start up and total system.Problem not solved when I switch on pc, Motherboard screen displays after1.5min and viceversa.
regards
So you are getting intel motherboard screen display as BIOS starts up. That means there is some delay in hardware recognition by bios.
Few reason for this could be
1.Loose connections
2. RAM not properly fitted in the slot.
3. Earthing problems
4. Old version of BIOS, see if you could get it updated. Don't try yourself.

Call service engineer to clean up PC and check power connection. I had this issue when Power was not clean, either RAM would not be recognised or HDD would not be recognised. Earthing solved the issue with cleaning of internals. Had to shell out Rs 450 for one visit of Tech guy. He attributed HDD failure to this, fortunately I kept Data backup and HDD was under warranty.