Faster Win-XP Boot up and improve PC performance

columbus

I am not sure if this will help but there is no harm in trying this tip.
pk:)
Pkjha,

I am having DELL laptop with 1GB RAM and 40GB Hard disk.My friend is having
HCL laptop with almost similar configuration.When compared to his laptop
it's speed is not even snail's speed.

AVGantivirus scan takes 6~7 hours.
Rootkit takes 5 hours.
Spydoctor takes 2~3 hours.

Needless to say that login and shut down takes equally a long time.

Using StartUp Inspector I DISABLED some programs.

I want to know what could be the reason?

pleaseharsh

hello columbus...
my advice would be to get rid of all this anitvirus,adware software from the computer....they r useless...and avg is not good at all it will eat yr cpu memory unnecessarly...i have used all the above said software and had tough time...i found the latest version of spybot very good ...u can download if u wanna use it...also do following checks..
go to run->type 'msconfig'
under general setting ->select 'selective startup' but uncheck 'load startup items'..then under 'startup' tab uncheck all startup's ...these r the programs which starts automatically when the system starts and eat lot of memory...also uncheck the unnecessary services under 'services tab' ...but becareful...dont stop the system services or it will create trouble...then click 'apply' , click 'ok' to close the dialog box...
also one more thing could be done ...check the virtual memory....
right click my computer ->properties-> advanced tab->performance->advanced tab->virtual memory-> select the 'let system managed virtual memory option' if it is not checked...ok

columbus

hello columbus...
my advice would be to get rid of all this anitvirus,adware software from the computer....they r useless...and avg is not good at all it will eat yr cpu memory unnecessarly...i have used all the above said software and had tough time...i found the latest version of spybot very good ...u can download if u wanna use it...also do following checks..
go to run->type 'msconfig'
under general setting ->select 'selective startup' but uncheck 'load startup items'..then under 'startup' tab uncheck all startup's ...these r the programs which starts automatically when the system starts and eat lot of memory...also uncheck the unnecessary services under 'services tab' ...but becareful...dont stop the system services or it will create trouble...then click 'apply' , click 'ok' to close the dialog box...
also one more thing could be done ...check the virtual memory....
right click my computer ->properties-> advanced tab->performance->advanced tab->virtual memory-> select the 'let system managed virtual memory option' if it is not checked...ok
I was told to have ANTIVIRUS software ALWAYS in the system tray.
Do you want me to place SPYBOT in it's place?

pleaseharsh

colombus...
yeah u can if u want....actualy if u have heard of adware from lavasoft...i had been using that for yrs...but the new version of spybot more credited then anything else....by credit i mean overall opinion of the mass ....u can refer to w w w. d o w n l o a d. c o m ....and mind spybot is more of antispyware then antivrius...i have used norton and avg and have always found them to be fake ....so many anitspywares& antivirus softwares out there r just fake ..they will make u download there software ...and would scan 100's of files...then when u run them half of files will be cleaned or deleted and for remaining half they will ask u to be the member.....its just marketing to rake money....so never go for them...even such software shows false alert that the computer is infected with dangerous virus and the alerts keep on popping and create panick...i wont say spybot is ultimate..but its ok....it gets rid of those unwanted spywares, adwares, cleans up most of the bad stuff...
one thing i have learnt from yrs of experience with computer...is that...
dont download unwanted softwares....just keep yr computer simple ...dont feed up with complex antivirus and junk software...it just creates trouble sooner or later...just keep windows firewall on..thats enough or if u got full version i mean paid version of antivirus then its ok....

columbus

colombus...
yeah u can if u want....actualy if u have heard of adware from lavasoft...i had been using that for yrs...but the new version of spybot more credited then anything else....by credit i mean overall opinion of the mass ....u can refer to w w w. d o w n l o a d. c o m ....and mind spybot is more of antispyware then antivrius...i have used norton and avg and have always found them to be fake ....so many anitspywares& antivirus softwares out there r just fake ..they will make u download there software ...and would scan 100's of files...then when u run them half of files will be cleaned or deleted and for remaining half they will ask u to be the member.....its just marketing to rake money....so never go for them...even such software shows false alert that the computer is infected with dangerous virus and the alerts keep on popping and create panick...i wont say spybot is ultimate..but its ok....it gets rid of those unwanted spywares, adwares, cleans up most of the bad stuff...
one thing i have learnt from yrs of experience with computer...is that...
dont download unwanted softwares....just keep yr computer simple ...dont feed up with complex antivirus and junk software...it just creates trouble sooner or later...just keep windows firewall on..thats enough or if u got full version i mean paid version of antivirus then its ok....
Pleaseharsh,

I agree with you in toto, especially 2 points.

1.Do not unnecessarily download different software, especially GAMES.

2.Even after having AVG in tray ,whenever I run latest version of SPYBOT
I found spywares,adwares etc..Then what is fun in having AVG in tray, which
occasionally blocks virus.

pkjha30

Pkjha,

I am having DELL laptop with 1GB RAM and 40GB Hard disk.My friend is having
HCL laptop with almost similar configuration.When compared to his laptop
it's speed is not even snail's speed.

AVGantivirus scan takes 6~7 hours.
Rootkit takes 5 hours.
Spydoctor takes 2~3 hours.

Needless to say that login and shut down takes equally a long time.

Using StartUp Inspector I DISABLED some programs.

I want to know what could be the reason?
When do you work on computer in between boot and shutdown? I think you mean five minutes.... but still that is ages.

Backup all your data and reformat HDD, reinstall windows XP, (don't use vista as your laptop may be underpowered)

1 GB Ram is enough for laptop. so it should not be starved of resources.

I used Norton, Macafee, AVG. Found that Avast performs better than all of them so using it.First three Antivirus are CPU and memory hogger and slows down computer considerably. Avast seems to be ok so far. If you connect to internet or use external floppy or download programme or install, reinstall softwares often, then antivirus is a must to keep safety.You will never know what hit you once virus eats your HDD and computer won't boot. If you are always net connected then data stealing may also take place. There is no 100% guarantee but you can reasonably feel secure.

Spybot is a good programme but don't use it in tray, run once in a week.

You can read first post and follow some of the instructions found there, Boot performance increases considerably after using BOOTVIS.

When do you work on computer in between boot and shutdown? I think you mean five minutes.... but still that is ages.

Backup all your data and reformat HDD, reinstall windows XP, (don't use vista as your laptop may be underpowered)

1 GB Ram is enough for laptop. so it should not be starved of resources.

I used Norton, Macafee, AVG. Found that Avast performs better than all of them so using it.First three Antivirus are CPU and memory hogger and slows down computer considerably. Avast seems to be ok so far. If you connect to internet or use external floppy or download programme or install, reinstall softwares often, then antivirus is a must to keep safety.You will never know what hit you once virus eats your HDD and computer won't boot. If you are always net connected then data stealing may also take place. There is no 100% guarantee but you can reasonably feel secure.

Spybot is a good programme but don't use it in tray, run once in a week.

You can read first post and follow some of the instructions found there, Boot performance increases considerably after using BOOTVIS.

+1
BTW that tray is called in Realtime :p