Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inverter?

lvgandhi

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

Sumo, his MODEM is MT841 (he said it in the first post). Yusi advised him to log in to the MODEM using this IP.

Boss, he normally won't need to log in to his local IP (the one defined on his Lan Card) once the settings are done. Those are the software based addresses, unless his ISP uses the hardwired Mac address binding.

A lot of tertiary LAN IPs begin with 198.168.xxx.xxx, but some are reserved; the same with 172.xxx.xxx.xxx based tertiary LAN IPs.

Lvgandhi, I think that you should bribe some engineer to figure it out. At your end, you can record the ping readings over a period of hours.

Suppose the IP of your Modem is 192.168.100.1, then run this command :

ping 192.168.100.1 -t > abc.txt

You will get an output like the one shown in the picture below and it will be stored in a file called abc.txt. This will tell you whether the communication is continuously ok between your computer and the modem. As Columbus said above, it could be a simple adapter problem (rare though).

Next, you have to isolate the point where the traffic is slowing (during the slowdown periods). Is the speed ok between your end and your ISP ?? Is the choke up after your ISP stage ?? You can see this by running tracert during normal and slowdown times and comparing them.

PS : My setup is Motorola Modem + Linksys router (don't remember the exact models). The modem setup has been the same since 2002 (same ISP) and earlier I was using a software proxy. In 2006 I switched over to the router (hardware proxy). Haven't faced any problems due to these equipments so far. The slowdown problems are because of problems at later ends and usually it is my ISP who solves them without any changes in my setup. During the slowdowns, the first thing I check is "ping" to the modem to find out whether my LAN is ok; the second thing is to check whether my ISP's home page opens alright or not.

Finally, the modem doesn't consume much electricity, so please plug it in the UPS because of the spikes and surges that inverter is likely to produce.
As said in my first post, problem is frequent disconnection from net. When it is connected ping works properly.

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

As said in my first post, problem is frequent disconnection from net. When it is connected ping works properly.
All the modem lights are normal ?? Whatever is supposed to be on is on and whatever is supposed to be blinking is blinking ??

lvgandhi

All the modem lights are normal ?? Whatever is supposed to be on is on and whatever is supposed to be blinking is blinking ??
during disconnection of net, some times net connection indicating orange color led goes off. Sometimes when all lights are ok, then also net connection is cut off.
When I talked to BSNL engineer, he told me that led is not affected by variation of dc voltage, but other electronic items necessary for net connection goes on and off due dc voltage fluctuations caused by ups voltage fluctuations.

yusi

timepass, the MT841 comes with the factory default set at 192.168.1.1, hence that suggestion, qualified with 'typically' as most folks do not change it. The modem/router is the only place where he can see the ADSL signal strength. Secondly, the MT841 is a modem cum router, and there will not be 2 separate IPs, one for the router and another for the modem.

lvgandhi

If you log in to MT841 (use http://192.168.1.1 in your browser typically), give username/password (default is admin/admin if you have not changed it), one of the pages gives the signal, attenuation, SNR, etc. values. The Signal-to-noise ratio is typically better than -20 dbm (more negative) if I remember right. Can give exact page/values I see tomorrow if you cannot get there.

Based on your description, the disconnection occurs during the power-cut not when it happens. So the switchover may not be the issue. Most modern adaptors can accommodate 120 to 250V; but they are a frequent source of problem. At the least, clean the contact at both ends of the adaptor and check if it getting too hot.

BSNL using faulty power equipment is very unlikely.
I checked the values during ups and normal power. data is nearly same in both cases.
bandwidth up/down, kbits/s 997/3995(3998)
SNR up/down 8.5db/26db(24db)
Attenuation up/down 16.5 db /47 db
bracketed value during normal power.

Get the Telephone Wiring Checked for Earthing......!!!

SG
Oh..oh.. it's a telephone modem, is it ?? Didn't know that. I thought 'twas a cable modem.

yusi

I checked the values during ups and normal power. data is nearly same in both cases.
bandwidth up/down, kbits/s 997/3995(3998)
SNR up/down 8.5db/26db(24db)
Attenuation up/down 16.5 db /47 db
bracketed value during normal power.
Will give my values when I get to office tomorrow. What is your speed/plan?

According to this doc from BSNL Chennai,

The SNR should be higher than 20 though anything above 10 is just enough. The Attenuation should be as low as possible. But if the attenuation starts going higher than 40 and SNR going down below 10, it is time to complain about the line condition to our Helpline 1500.

lvgandhi

Oh..oh.. it's a telephone modem, is it ?? Didn't know that. I thought 'twas a cable modem.
It is ADSL modem connected to telephone wirirng.

lvgandhi

Get the Telephone Wiring Checked for Earthing......!!!

SG
As the problem occurs only during UPS working, can it be connected to earthing of Telephone wiring.