Does Support and Resistance Work?

adityasaraf007

Quoting the text from AW Sir posted in Pride's Thread "Indicator-Free, Stress-Free Trading":

That's how most of the people expect from support/resistance, that these levels should hold and when it doesn't happen, they discard them and move on to the search of next best indicator.

IMO, during uptrend, all resistances are at risk, and they get broken. In downtrend, all supports are at risk. Having said that, on of the resistance in uptrend /or one of the support in downtrend will hold and price will turn from that level. So rather then putting ego on the support /resistance that we have indentified thru our analysis, and expecting mkt to follow our view, We got to wait for market to prove our view and let it show that our analysis is correct.

When support gets broken, our long gets stopped out (so what, as a trader aren't we prepared for it), but we get opportunity to short with target of next support level (most of us miss this second trade cause we are still recovering from the prev stopped out trade).

Accept that fact and formulate your strategy around it. Wait for price to show you if it is holding the level, or after breaking, it is holding on the other side of the level.

My trading revolves around these levels and I believe in them cause they show me the psychology of mkt participants. People (specially professionals) have changed their views, took decision and traded those decision around these level and mkt is showing it lout and clear on chart by new swing starting from these levels, so who am I to argue it. In ohter words, it boils down to your belief - if you believe that these levels work, then they do, and if you don't then you are still right.

There are various types of S&R levels. VPOC is just one of them. Just pickup 1 or 2 of them and see how to trade them, observe what happens around these levels, how you can trade them etc. If your software doesn't give you Vpoc, then move on. You can still see other S&R levels on chart. (It is typical of traders journey, that we trust more on complex and unknown thing and avoid simple but known things - "They are Ok, I am not Ok").

Just sharing my thoughts on S&R. Hope this helps.

Happy Trading
(ps - would love to see this thread eveolving in how to trade the patterns given in first post. There is enough stuff that needs to go into how to filter wrong v/s right patterns in real time..and make a tradable system around it.)

adityasaraf007

Here's the 5-min Chart of Minifty for June 09:

6. Except at this point our Major Support/Resistance line at 5520 had no significance.

Overall it was a low volume day........

It was 2nd Consecutive NR4 day for Nifty Spot......... however NR4 on Nifty was missed by a few points...........

With regards,
Aditya

Supports and Resistances are very important points on any chart....they form the basis of any trend. Do supports and resistances hold ? The answer is yes they hold as long as the market is sideways or in established trend. In an uptrend all supports will hold and resistances will break and new resistance levels formed.In a downtrend ,resistances will hols and supports will crack....that is how the trend develops.

When the above sequences reverses, we have a reversal in trend and we start trading the new reversed trend.

Smart_trade

adityasaraf007

First of all, I am quite fortunate enough that some of the senior members of this forum including Linkon Sir, ST Sir, AW Sir are around this thread.

But I guess...... because of the title of the thread, there is some confusion that I don't believe in them......... Actually, I have been following them on Intraday basis for the past few days/months and found them to be very reliable.

I completely believe in Support and Resistance

This thread is for critical evaluation of my/our analysis about them........ where they are...... when they should hold...... and when they should be broken......

And this thread is to develop confidence in our analysis as mentioned in the first post itself...... And I hope that seniors would be around to help me/us whenever we go wrong.........

This post was just to clear the confusion, if any, about my belief in S/R.

With regards,
Aditya

adityasaraf007

Here's the 5-min Chart of Minifty for June 10:

7. Price breaks the Minor Support of 5480 with huge Volumes.

8. Takes the Major Support of 5450 and moves higher......

Price also made a full trip from Major S/R of 5520 to Major S/R of 5450......

One point to note is that at the end of the day the Slope of SMA20 becomes positive....

Regarding the NR4 and IB which was formed on 8th June.... Price broke the low of 8th June, ie; 5510 yesterday and moved till 5450 today. The high of 8th June which was 5560 should have been the experimental SL for now...... So RR of 1:1 could have been achieved with this trade with the levels of S/R complementing it. Presently not going into the complexity of moving SL in the direction of the trade..........

With regards,
Aditya

adityasaraf007

Here's the 5-min Chart of Minifty for June 13:

9. Price gaps down and consolidates around our Major Support area of 5440-5450 and then bounces up.

10. Breaks the support of 5480 with Volumes and again goes into consolidation mode.

With regards,
Aditya

adityasaraf007

Here's the 5-min Chart of Minifty for June 14:

11. Price gaps up by just a little and goes above the resistance of 5520 with decent volumes. Here, I am not saying that it broke the resistance as the red line is a Major S/R and it should be given more room than just a number.

12. Price consolidates around our S/R of 5520.

13. Price moves down with huge volume to fill the gap created in the morning and starts moving up. (I don't know if we can call this as a break of Support as more than average volume was there for just a single bar).

14. Touches the S/R of 5520 and again starts consolidating below it till the end of day.

Overall, quite a confusing day for me..........

However, today was an NR4 as well as NR7 for both Nifty Spot and Nifty Future. Let's see what's in store for us...........

With regards,
Aditya