Corporation bank

It is useless to write to RBI. There is a draconian rule with regard to opening of S.B. A/c. RBI has mandated every bank that if any person wants to open a new S. B. A/c with any Bank, he has to produce identity proof and residence proof. Identity proof can be fulfilled by producing identitiy card issued by Election Commission of India.

But it is the residence proof that stumped me. For residence proof one has to produce either PAN card or Electricity bill or telephone bill. You may also notice that ration card is not accepted.

Think of a rural household woman. Invariably in almost all rural houses, electricity connection, telephone connection will be standing in the name of husband, who is the head of the family. No one will be having PAN card or any other nonsense cards other than identity card issued by election commission. I suspect even in town also electricity connection and telephone connection will in the name of head of family, which means husband/father. Unless one produces acceptable residence proof, i.e. one of the three documents mentioned above, account cannot be and will not be opened. I protested this illogical rule and sent a complaint to RBI explaining that by their rules they are excluding a major portion of rural women from banking system. I also explained them that other than those educated, employed town dwellers, even rural people also need banking services and it is unfair to exclude them by making these types of impracticable rules. Opening a S. B. A/c with minimum balance is the most basic step a person takes in joining banking system. Even today also I have not been able to understand how these types of strange rules can be formed so as to exclude people from banking system.

But sadly no one is bothered to hear even genuine complaints. What to do?

Writing to any of Govt. bodies, including SEBI and public grievance website of Central Govt. or nodal officers of respective departments are totally waste of time and money. I do have experience with RBI also since I had complained earlier on some other issue, but there was no reply.

Only amongst Govt. bodies, my grievances have till now been resolved by NSE and BSE. SEBI did not solve a single complaint and hence I have stopped communicating with them since long.

So far as banking system grievances are concerned, it is always advisable to write to Chairman's office, if the issue is not resolved at lower level. Or we can move to alternative opportunity.

PSBs show only Dadagiri. Corp Bank wrote to me that they had earlier sent communication in April. It is wonderful that they again sent communication in Oct. Can any one believe this? Whereas, out of earlier communications (supposed to be 3) not a single 1 was recd. Whereas 3 communications sent in Oct, 1st was received on 21st Oct. 09, whereas penalty was imposed on 30.09.09. Still, corp bank. defends its action. Is it not high handedness or dadagiri?.

I request request every one not to be submissive to wrong doings. And move out of such institutions.