Connecting higher

DSM

The Holy Bhagavad Gita says it all : Due to Maya (illusion), Man lives in ignorance and attached to the sense objects of the world. And when he renounces all selfish desires and breaks away from the ego, he attains freedom and passes from death to immortality.

Very true.... but difficult to practice fully in real life.

Yes

We live in a illusionary world which is not real, but it seems so real that we take it on face value, which is cause of all suffering

Riskyman

A must watch, science mystery : The double slit experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

I think it is safe to say that no one understands quantum mechanics. Noble Prize winning Physicist, Richard Feynman
I really like your thread. I was about to post the double slit theory in one my threads over the weekends. Glad you did it.

The internet is a beautiful place with plentyful information. Problem is too much information is scattered all over the place and putting it piece by piece is what I have been trying to do for a couple of years now to improve the quality of my life and those around me.

Good going !

DSM

Thanks Riskyman,

You are right... there is so much knowledge out there.... I bookmark the sites and read in leisure. And the ones I like, try to share.... Glad you like the thread..... Thanks for the kind word.

I really like your thread. I was about to post the double slit theory in one my threads over the weekends. Glad you did it.

The internet is a beautiful place with plentyful information. Problem is too much information is scattered all over the place and putting it piece by piece is what I have been trying to do for a couple of years now to improve the quality of my life and those around me.

Good going !

DSM

Stories help to express ideas that words just cannot. Here are some collected and saved from mail forwards....

“Once upon a time, in an island there lived six feelings and emotions: Happiness, Knowledge, Love, Sadness, Richness and Vanity. One day they discovered that the island began sinking! So all of them built boats and canoes and left, one by one. Except for Love. Love wanted to delay abandoning her beloved island as long as possible.

When the island had almost sunk, Love decided to ask for help.
Richness was passing by Love in a boat. Love asked, “Richness, can you take me with you?”

Richness answered, “Sorry, Love, I can’t. There is a lot of gold and silver in my boat, so there is no place here for you. With both of us in here we will sink for sure.”

Love next asked Vanity who was also sailing by, but Vanity offered the same answer.
“I can’t help you, Love. You are all wet and might damage my boat,” Vanity answered.

Sadness was close by, so Love asked, “Sadness, take me along with you.”
“Oh . . . Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself!”, sadness said in a gloomy voice.

Happiness passed by Love, too, but she was so preoccupied with her happiness that she did not even hear when Love called her.

Suddenly, there was a voice, “Come, Love, I will take you.”

It was an elder with a tattered head scarf. An overjoyed Love jumped into the boat. When they arrived at a dry land, the elder went her own way.
Love looked around and saw the Knowledge who was the first to have landed there a while ago.

“Who Helped me?” Love asked.
“It was Time,” Knowledge answered.
“Time? Why time?” Love was surprised.

“Because only Time is capable of understanding how valuable Love is.” The Knowledge smiled.”

There was a rich and powerful king who had four wives.

He loved the 4th wife the most and adorned her with rich robes and treated her to the finest of delicacies. He gave her nothing but the best.

He also loved the 3rd wife very much and was always showing her off to neighboring kingdoms. However, he feared that one day she would leave him for another.

He also loved his 2nd wife. She was his confidante and was always kind, considerate and patient with him. Whenever the King faced a problem, he could confide in her, and she would help him get through the difficult times.

The King's 1st wife was a very loyal partner and had made great contributions in maintaining his wealth and kingdom. However, he did not love the first wife. Although she loved him deeply, he hardly took notice of her.

One day, the King fell ill and he knew his time was short. He thought of his luxurious life and wondered, "I now have four wives with me, but when I die, I'll be all alone."

Thus, he asked the 4th wife, "I have loved you the most, endowed you with the finest clothing and showered great care over you. Now that I'm dying, will you follow me and keep me company?" "No way!", replied the 4th wife, and she walked away without another word. Her answer cut like a sharp knife right into his heart.

The sad King then asked the 3rd wife, "I have loved you all my life. Now that I'm dying, will you follow me and keep me company?" "No!", replied the 3rd wife. "Life is too good! When you die, I'm going to remarry!" His heart sank and turned cold.

He then asked the 2nd wife, "I have always turned to you for help and you've always been there for me. When I die, will you follow me and keep me company?" "I'm sorry, I can't help you out this time!", replied the 2nd wife. "At the very most, I can only send you to your grave." Her answer came like a bolt of lightning, and the King was devastated.

Then a voice called out: "I'll leave with you and follow you no matter where you go." The King looked up, and there was his first wife. She was so skinny as she suffered from malnutrition.

Greatly grieved, the King said, "I should have taken much better care of you when I had the chance!"

In truth, we all have 4 wives in our lives:

Our 4th wife is our body.
No matter how much time and effort we lavish in making it look good, it will leave us when we die.

Our 3rd wife is our possessions, status and wealth.
When we die, it will all go to others.

Our 2nd wife is our family and friends.
No matter how much they have been there for us, the furthest they can stay by us is up to the grave.

And our 1st wife is our Soul, often neglected in pursuit of wealth, power and pleasures of the ego. However, our Soul is the only thing that will follow us wherever we go. So cultivate, strengthen and cherish it now, it is your greatest gift to offer the world.

Richard Feynman, the Noble Prize winning physicist, once asked someone who remarked that he had read a book. “But, did you learn anything?” We have to go a bit further here and ask. 'But did you apply in practice anything that you learnt?"

Some Quotes :

Money/income or wealth can be created in exchange for time, or by mastering knowledge followed by action. Most people choose the former (and easier option) to work. Entrepreneurs choose the latter.

Without a vision or a purpose, life is futile.

One of the most important gifts a person can have is the ability to just see things as they are, without judgment.

One of the best quotes that I have come across : If you are willing to slow down, what will patience teach you?

In life, there are permanent truths and temporary truths – just a traffic lights at the signal. While it may be true that it is red, it is a transient truth. The mistake would be to let some transient life events to define permanently what or who we are or can be.

And finally, on a lighter note :

When Arnab Goswami was born, the Doctors said..... Just kidding. Arnab didn't allow the doctors to speak !

A couple before marriage... Whispering sweetly : Janu..!!! Tum nahi to Main nahi, Main nahi to Tum nahi.

The same couple after Marriage... Maa kasam.... Aaj Tu nahi ya Main nahi !

Riskyman

And finally, on a lighter note :

When Arnab Goswami was born, the Doctors said..... Just kidding. Arnab didn't allow the doctors to speak !

I'm not sure if its ok for me to be posting a you tube link on your thread. But if you like Arnab Gosawmi Or if you are fed up of him, take a look at this hilarious video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9nCPQ2_FlQ

DSM

DSM

Think for yourself

http://ttngweekly.com/2015/04/15/think-for-yourself/

To lose sight of your experiences and buy into another’s thoughts about a matter without your own analysis and investigation can be a dangerous thing. A wonderful example of people not questioning information can be seen in the HBO film Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief. Much of the initial information potential members receive can be quite compelling. Information is valuable. However, partial information can be quite precarious and lead you astray. As long as you are willing to trust your instincts and look at all the information available and at all sides and not simply another’s propaganda, your own assessments will serve you well. First and foremost, consider the source – What is their motivation? Do they have an agenda or a cause to further? Second, consider your own experiences and encounters and see if anything aligns, then go further into other types of research and verification if necessary. If someone tells you not to read something or not to look at a body of information either on the internet or books or statistics or facts or science, then the first question you should ask is why?

Always look and consider the source of whatever you are contemplating or considering. The power of thought is our gift as humans and that incorporates your instincts as well – your basic gut evaluations. A great way to build your confidence in your own thoughts about situation is to educate yourself and keep educating yourself on life and all that you are interested in. As discussed before, there are many ways of learning, including personal experiences, reading, all types of media, classes, mentors, observation, and more. If the idea of continuously (meaning throughout your life) learning and growing turns you off, consider a few things:

If you aren’t learning new things you aren’t experiencing new things Being stagnant doesn’t last long. You either grow or you die. An applicable saying is “if you don’t use it you lose it,” and a basic example is our muscles, if you don’t use a muscle it atrophies.

In pursuing knowledge you encounter a wider array of people and can deepen and even discover new interests and new kinds of relationships. With wisdom comes choice. Greater knowledge brings many more options and life choices you wouldn’t otherwise know or consider. Wisdom and/or knowledge brings you ideas about how to solve problems you may have thought you had to live with, how to create, how to get out of a particular situation you thought hopeless, how to achieve or do something you thought you could only dream about.

In any case, think about it for yourself.

Catch22

Compassion and the Individual -The Fourteenth Dalai Lama

The purpose of life

ONE GREAT QUESTION underlies our experience, whether we think about it consciously or not: What is the purpose of life? I have considered this question and would like to share my thoughts in the hope that they may be of direct, practical benefit to those who read them.

I believe that the purpose of life is to be happy. From the moment of birth, every human being wants happiness and does not want suffering. Neither social conditioning nor education nor ideology affect this. From the very core of our being, we simply desire contentment. I don't know whether the universe, with its countless galaxies, stars and planets, has a deeper meaning or not, but at the very least, it is clear that we humans who live on this earth face the task of making a happy life for ourselves. Therefore, it is important to discover what will bring about the greatest degree of happiness.

How to achieve happiness

For a start, it is possible to divide every kind of happiness and suffering into two main categories: mental and physical. Of the two, it is the mind that exerts the greatest influence on most of us. Unless we are either gravely ill or deprived of basic necessities, our physical condition plays a secondary role in life. If the body is content, we virtually ignore it. The mind, however, registers every event, no matter how small. Hence we should devote our most serious efforts to bringing about mental peace.

From my own limited experience I have found that the greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion.
Cultivating a close, warm-hearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. This helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the ultimate source of success in life.

As long as we live in this world we are bound to encounter problems. If, at such times, we lose hope and become discouraged, we diminish our ability to face difficulties. If, on the other hand, we remember that it is not just ourselves but every one who has to undergo suffering, this more realistic perspective will increase our determination and capacity to overcome troubles. Indeed, with this attitude, each new obstacle can be seen as yet another valuable opportunity to improve our mind!

Child - need for love

Since a child cannot survive without the care of others, love is its most important nourishment. The happiness of childhood, the allaying of the child's many fears and the healthy development of its self-confidence all depend directly upon love.

Nowadays, many children grow up in unhappy homes. If they do not receive proper affection, in later life they will rarely love their parents and, not infrequently, will find it hard to love others. This is very sad
We have to consider what we human beings really are. We are not like machine-made objects. If we are merely mechanical entities, then machines themselves could alleviate all of our sufferings and fulfill our needs.

However, since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. Instead, we should con Even when we engage in ordinary conversation in everyday life, if someone speaks with human feeling we enjoy listening, and respond accordingly; the whole conversation becomes interesting, however unimportant the topic may be. On the other hand, if a person speaks coldly or harshly, we feel uneasy and wish for a quick end to the interaction. From the least to the most important event, the affection and respect of others are vital for our happiness.

one thing seems clear to me: whether or not we are consciously aware of it, from the day we are born, the need for human affection is in our very blood. Even if the affection comes from an animal or someone we would normally consider an enemy, both children and adults will naturally gravitate towards it.

I believe that no one is born free from the need for love. And this demonstrates that, although some modern schools of thought seek to do so, human beings cannot be defined as solely physical. No material object, however beautiful or valuable, can make us feel loved, because our deeper identity and true character lie in the subjective nature of the mind.

True compassion

First of all, we must be clear about what we mean by compassion. Many forms of compassionate feeling are mixed with desire and attachment. For instance, the love parents feel of their child is often strongly associated with their own emotional needs, so it is not fully compassionate. Again, in marriage, the love between husband and wife - particularly at the beginning, when each partner still may not know the other's deeper character very well - depends more on attachment than genuine love. Our desire can be so strong that the person to whom we are attached appears to be good, when in fact he or she is very negative. In addition, we have a tendency to exaggerate small positive qualities. Thus when one partner's attitude changes, the other partner is often disappointed and his or her attitude changes too. This is an indication that love has been motivated more by personal need than by genuine care for the other individual.

True compassion is not just an emotional response but a firm commitment founded on reason. Therefore, a truly compassionate attitude towards others does not change even if they behave negatively.
Of course, developing this kind of compassion is not at all easy!
Whether people are beautiful and friendly or unattractive and disruptive, ultimately they are human beings, just like oneself. Like oneself, they want happiness and do not want suffering. Furthermore, their right to overcome suffering and be happy is equal to one's own. Now, when you recognize that all beings are equal in both their desire for happiness and their right to obtain it, you automatically feel empathy and closeness for them. you develop a feeling of responsibility for others: the wish to help them actively overcome their problems. There is no logical basis to discriminate or to alter your concern for them if they behave negatively.

Friends and enemies
So far I have been discussing mainly the mental benefits of compassion, but it contributes to good physical health as well, According to my personal experience, mental stability and physical well-being are directly related. Without question, anger and agitation make us more susceptible to illness. On the other hand, if the mind is tranquil and occupied with positive thoughts, the body will not easily fall prey to disease.

But of course it is also true that we all have an innate self-centeredness that inhibits our love for others. So, since we desire the true happiness that is brought about by only a calm mind, and since such peace of mind is brought about by only a compassionate attitude, how can we develop this? Obviously, it is not enough for us simply to think about how nice compassion is! We need to make a concerted effort to develop it; we must use all the events of our daily life to transform our thoughts and behavior

I must emphasize again that merely thinking that compassion and reason and patience are good will not be enough to develop them. We must wait for difficulties to arise and then attempt to practice them.

And who creates such opportunities? Not our friends, of course, but our enemies. They are the ones who give us the most trouble, So if we truly wish to learn, we should consider enemies to be our best teacher!

For a person who cherishes compassion and love, the practice of tolerance is essential, and for that, an enemy is indispensable. So we should feel grateful to our enemies, for it is they who can best help us develop a tranquil mind! Also, itis often the case in both personal and public life, that with a change in circumstances, enemies become friends.
In today's materialistic society, if you have money and power, you seem to have many friends. But they are not friends of yours; they are the friends of your money and power. When you lose your wealth and influence, you will find it very difficult to track these people down.

The trouble is that when things in the world go well for us, we become confident that we can manage by ourselves and feel we do not need friends, but as our status and health decline, we quickly realize how wrong we were. That is the moment when we learn who is really helpful and who is completely useless. So to prepare for that moment, to make genuine friends who will help us when the need arises, we ourselves must cultivate altruism!
Though sometimes people laugh when I say it, I myself always want more friends. I love smiles. Because of this I have the problem of knowing how to make more friends and how to get more smiles, in particular, genuine smiles. For there are many kinds of smile, such as sarcastic, artificial or diplomatic smiles. Many smiles produce no feeling of satisfaction, and sometimes they can even create suspicion or fear, can't they? But a genuine smile really gives us a feeling of freshness and is, I believe, unique to human beings. If these are the smiles we want, then we ourselves must create the reasons for them to appear.

source -- http://dalailama.com/messages/compassion

Last edited:

amitrandive

AN INSPIRING STORY

PIZZA

Wife: Don’t put so many clothes for wash today
Husband: Why ?

She said : Maid has said she won’t come for two days
Husband :Why ?

Wife : She said she is going to meet her granddaughter during Ganpati festival
Husband : OK, Will not put too many clothes

Wife : And , Shall I give her Rs. 500 for Ganpati ? Festival bonus ?
Husband : Why ? Diwali is approaching , we will give her at that time..

Wife : Oh no dear . She is poor. Going to meet her daughter and granddaughter , so she will also feel nice. Moreover, everything has become so expensive these days. How will she able to celebrate festival ?

Husband : You ! I don’t know why you become emotional so easily
Wife : Oh dear, don’t worry .I am going to cancel today’s program of ordering Pizza. Why unnecessarily blow away Rs. 500 on eight pieces of stale bread.

Husband : Wow. Great .Snatching Pizza from us and giving to the maid !

Maid returned after three days and got busy in mopping and dusting. Husband asked her

Husband : So, how was the vacation ?
Maid : very nice sahib.. Didi had given Rs 500 .. festival bonus.
Husband : So you went and met your daughter ? and also met your granddaughter ?

Maid: yes sahib. Enjoyed a lot and spent Rs 500 in two days time.
Husband : Really ? Ok so what did you do with Rs. 500?

Maid : Rs. 150 for dress for granddaughter, Rs 40 for a doll, bought sweets worth Rs 50 for daughter, Rs 50 as offering to Deity in temple, Rs 60 towards bus fare….Rs 25 for bangles for daughter, bought a nice belt worth Rs 50 for son-in-law, balance Rs 75 gave to daughter to buy copy and pencil for granddaughter. Maid gave a full account of the expenses incurred
Husband : so much in Rs 500?

With surprise, he started thinking….the eight pieces of Pizza appeared in front of his eyes and each one of them acted as a hammer started pricking his consciousness. For the price of one Pizza , he started comparing the expenses his maid had incurred during her visit to her daughter.

The eight pieces of Pizza floated in front of his eyes. First piece .. dress for the child, second piece… towards sweets.. Third piece… towards offering to the deity in the temple. Fourth piece….towards bus fare. Fifth piece.. towards doll. Sixth piece towards bangles, seventh piece ,, towards belt for the son-in-law. Eight piece towards copy and pencil.

So far he had observed pizza only from one angle. He turned it upside down and observe how it looks like from the other side. .. but today his maid showed him the other side of the pizza…. The eight pieces of pizza showed him the real meaning of life..in an instant the meaning of “Spending for life” or “ Life for spending”.