Can i trade U.S E-Mini DOW Futures from India?

yes you can trade stocks on cash accounts only. This is legal and you can do so with our indian brokers too.

But with IB , here are the conditions ,

Indian Individual Residents (Trading overseas only)

Trade in over 90 worldwide markets (exclusive of the NSE).
Trade stocks (demat), options, futures, etfs (demat) and etc.
These are cash accounts only.
Must be 18 or older to open a cash account.
A minimum equity deposit in cash or stocks of $5,000 or the equivalent of whatever currency we support (exclusive of INR).
Minimum brokerage fees per month, $10,00, per month.
Brokers/advisors can only open an account through IB via an offshore entity. Institutional/proprietary trading groups can open an account with IB (India) Pvt. Ltd. Contact an IB India sales representative for more details.

These 2 conditions are contradicting. How can you trade futures on a cash account.

Now IB guys are not stupid to make such silly mistakes on their site. They are "professionals" right. So what does this mean?

Call them and ask, you will know for yourself.
Good point; actually, that part confused me as well but maybe there's a different way to interpret "margin trading"; previously, someone on another thread had suggested that it would be legal to trade futures if you trade futures without leverage (by having enough money in your account to cover the full value of the future), which might be somewhat pointless since leverage is the main reason many people trade futures in the first place, it would be nice if someone here who's trading foreign F&O with IB were to share their experience. Like I've said, I'm no legal expert but IB seems like a solid broker & has a global reputation, so one would have to assume that they have considered measures for protecting themselves in case the government does come after them (although I'm not sure about the fate of the traders if trading foreign leveraged products does land them in legal trouble)

In any case, I've been contemplating of opening an account (to trade ONLY stocks) & that's why your earlier reply concerned me since you'd also mentioned stocks, & I wanted to get some clarity on that since there are so many people saying different things about this & one wouldn't want to get in legal trouble.

Last edited:
Good point; actually, that part confused me as well but maybe there's a different way to interpret "margin trading"; previously, someone on another thread had suggested that it would be legal to trade futures if you trade futures without leverage (by having enough money in your account to cover the full value of the future), which might be somewhat pointless since leverage is the main reason many people trade futures in the first place, it would be nice if someone here who's trading foreign F&O with IB were to share their experience. Like I've said, I'm no legal expert but IB seems like a solid broker & has a global reputation, so one would have to assume that they have considered measures for protecting themselves in case the government does come after them (although I'm not sure about the fate of the traders if trading foreign leveraged products does land them in legal trouble)

In any case, I've been contemplating of opening an account (to trade ONLY stocks) & that's why your earlier reply concerned me since you'd also mentioned stocks, & I wanted to get some clarity on that since there are so many people saying different things about this & one wouldn't want to get in legal trouble.
Nothing wrong with IB international, Its only in india. The indian bosses here think they are too smart and they think they can dupe the customers and govt and get away with it. They will bail if something goes wrong.

IB will cover their risk , no issues there, but what about you? how will you cover your risk and your ass?

There is something real fishy about that product which says 'indian residents trading overseas'. Just stay away from it.

and oh btw...trading means leverage.

Nothing wrong with IB international, Its only in india. The indian bosses here think they are too smart and they think they can dupe the customers and govt and get away with it. They will bail if something goes wrong.

IB will cover their risk , no issues there, but what about you? how will you cover your risk and your ass?

There is something real fishy about that product which says 'indian residents trading overseas'. Just stay away from it.

and oh btw...trading means leverage.
But aren't they part of the global brand? So wouldn't IB International care about IB India & its reputation?

Why would I need to cover my risk if I only trade foreign stocks on cash (not F&O), which is legal?