An Excellent Collection of ST's Posts.

candle

For reference.

Originally Posted by wisp
Da, please correct my understanding.

In image 4 break of 2 is not a minor UT.
You have got most of the things right wisp, few things are corrected as under :

I am happy to see many responded and posted their views. Instead of responding to individual posts I am making a general post giving how I view it. Please understand that my views are not final and I reserve my right to make mistakes.

Here we go...

I am assuming all pivots to be minor pivots which may get upgraded
to visual pivots based on the market action.

Figure 1 :: This is simple. We closed below the ERL marked in green and also broke the highest mpl so minor downtrend has started.( Any one of these conditions will confirm minor DT.

Figure 2: At (a) we closed below the green ERL which means minor downtrend has started so the high of the move becomes VPH

Once we close above the ERL at (b) that means minor uptrend has started making point (a) as a VPL and when we break this point (A) we are now in a Visual downtrend

Figure 3:: After A when we either close below green ERL or go below the minor pivot and come to B,that means minor downtrend has started thus making point A as VPH

Price closing above the red line has no significance.But if it closes above the green ERL then B becomes VPL.

But as we have broken C on the upside,we have started minor uptrend. Now our attention points are A (VPH) and B (VPL) .If A is taken out, then we have resumed/started visual uptrend, but if B is cracked,after making lower high,then we start visual downtrend with lower VPH and VPL.

Figure 4: B has closed below ERL so A and B are VPH and VPL.Between A and B we have sideways move.

When Z breaks A we have higher VPH but VPL is firmly at B .When we go below B we take a short trade because we are now in a possible or likely visual downtrend and in our method we trade possible visual downtrend on break of VPL as visual downtrend confirmation will be too late.

Break of 2 is a minor uptrend making point 1 as VPL.

Trust the above helps ( and there are no typo errors )

Smart_trade

Originally Posted by vivektrader

Sir, you made it super clear, but as a student I still have one query:
When I first learnt about ERL it was mentioned that a particular ERL drawn in a visual trend is applicable to that trend only, when the trend changes for e.g. in fig 1 when the trend changed from visual uptrend to minor downtrend after the green ERL was crossed on the downside, now that we are in minor downtrend, does the same green ERL be taken as reference when the price again crosses up to create VPL or a separate ERL will have to be drawn from the minor downtrend.

My apologies if I have scribbled some confusing lines, in that case I will read again and ask a better worded question next time.
Regards always
Thanks
Vivek
Yes the same green ERL is operational till we get a new ERL from the minor downtrend. Once we get a new ERL then the earlier ERL will not be considered and the new ERL will be operational for all pivot upgrades. We still dont have a fresh ERL from the minor DT.

Smart_trade

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
this is a bit of repetition, but ill like to write down what i understood, please correct if somethings is incorrect. Also some questions below.

Pic A: 1 and 2 are minor pivots, 3 becomes VPH after price closes below ERL1. 4 becomes VPL after price closes above ERL1. Similarly 5 and 6. if price later breaks 6 we are in likely visual DT. We enter short at 6, although trend is confirmed after lower Visual High

All Correct

Pic B: A-B-C is Visual DT. c becomes VPL after price breaks d. f becomes VPH after price closes below ERL-d, g becomes VPL after price closes above it. Once f breaks we are in likely Visual uptrend,We enter long above f. We are in lower degree uptrend, confirmed only after price breaks VPH above Visual ERL-a.

Once f breaks on upside, we are in a lower degree confirmed visual uptend but of one lower degree.Confirmed because we now have higher VPLs in c and g and higher VPH in f and above.

Lower degree because the main visual downtrend is still on...it will get reversed when we make a pivot above visual ERL from a and make a higher bottom and then take out that pivot high....till then we are in main visual downtrend.

What does lower degree trend mean? At what point do we expect Higher degree down trend to assert itself? Should we be 'careful' say around VERL-a - ie if VPH-f is too close to VERL-a, then wait for pivot break above ERL-a before entering long.

Lower degree trend as far as I remember was not in the original method. It is my tweak because many times based on upgraded VPs like f,h etc I would assume that visual uptrend has started but then before ERL at a the market will crack the VPL and resume the original visual downtrend.So till we pivot above vis ERL a we are still in larger vis DT..this tweak has helped me a great deal.Any time before ERL a the larger downtrend can resurface. But this case is different from the long we go on even minor pivot on a sustained downmove followed by steep fall and/or gap down opening.

Next, say we are in Visual Downtrend and minor uptrend. I want to enter short when this minor uptrend reverses. When price closes below ERL, ie on bar 3 completion, we consider it as trend reversal. Can we use this to enter before pivot low break? In this example we can perhaps consider below bar 1 low, but can we simply use limit/market order once 3 completes?
Yes we can but that will be a little aggressive....more safe will be enter 1/2 position below 3 and remaining half on a pivot low made below the ERL and on crack of that pivot low....
thank you.
My answers given pointwise in blue below every point.

Smart_trade

Lower degree trend is my tweak something like we have minor, minute and minuette waves in EW Theory analysis....it has come from the trading experience of these lower degree trends ( and the losses by trading them incorrectly ) You will not find it in the original method...

Smart_trade

Last edited:
Brilliant Example given by ST Da,:clapping::clapping:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a rikshaw driver's story...and he makes Rs 1000 per day on his Rs 80000 rikshaw and his own hard work....I wonder how many traders make consistant Rs 1000 per day or Rs 20,000-25000 per month ??

A true story...few of my trader friends we went to Mumbay and were travelling in a taxi. We were discussing that so and so has 5 L capital but still not making 50 K in a month....etc etc...the taxi driver was patiently listening to our conversation. In the end he remarked..."saab my taxi ( old fiat) costs 40,000 and I make Rs 1500 per day....if in your business on 5 L if you guys are not making Rs 50 K in a month then " aap ka dhandha khota hai" that illiterate taxiwala taught us a lot that day ....we take much more risk than any other business..all of us need to think seriously on this...

Smart_trade

Fundootrader

Brilliant Example given by ST Da,:clapping::clapping:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a rikshaw driver's story...and he makes Rs 1000 per day on his Rs 80000 rikshaw and his own hard work....I wonder how many traders make consistant Rs 1000 per day or Rs 20,000-25000 per month ??

A true story...few of my trader friends we went to Mumbay and were travelling in a taxi. We were discussing that so and so has 5 L capital but still not making 50 K in a month....etc etc...the taxi driver was patiently listening to our conversation. In the end he remarked..."saab my taxi ( old fiat) costs 40,000 and I make Rs 1500 per day....if in your business on 5 L if you guys are not making Rs 50 K in a month then " aap ka dhandha khota hai" that illiterate taxiwala taught us a lot that day ....we take much more risk than any other business..all of us need to think seriously on this...

Smart_trade
I think the essence is - that trade like you own business - In business if you are not making profit - you can't survive - but in trading many enter passively with capital which is not precious - that is even if they loose that - there is no major impact on life.

While in case of taxi/rickshaw wala - he would have even borrowed his capital - and not only he has to earn to feed himself - but to return his loan.

So he would do whatever it takes to earn and earn - in their case loss is also similar to trading - being on wrong side where no sawaari comes. so they too shift positions - cutting losses and waiting for large profits to meet daily targets

vijkris

Learner and Follower
I think the essence is - that trade like you own business - In business if you are not making profit - you can't survive - but in trading many enter passively with capital which is not precious - that is even if they loose that - there is no major impact on life.

While in case of taxi/rickshaw wala - he would have even borrowed his capital - and not only he has to earn to feed himself - but to return his loan.

So he would do whatever it takes to earn and earn - in their case loss is also similar to trading - being on wrong side where no sawaari comes. so they too shift positions - cutting losses and waiting for large profits to meet daily targets
ya.. correct..
I see a lot of uber/ola cabs around 1km radius of malls etc.
similar to traders waiting for high probability setups..:thumb:

BTW many newspapers have reported that these new generation cabbies are earning >1lakh p.m :eek:

Fundootrader

ya.. correct..
I see a lot of uber/ola cabs around 1km radius of malls etc.
similar to traders waiting for high probability setups..:thumb:

BTW many newspapers have reported that these new generation cabbies are earning >1lakh p.m :eek:
They used to earn much more than 1L pm - but now both uber and ola are cutting down on incentives in major cities but continuing to roll out in newer cities.

Uber/Ola driver app shows them high volume areas and these drivers tend to drive towards those areas and wait - and in turn driving prices down - demand/supply - and raising the prices (read surge) in low demand areas.

Uber/Ola also provide group driver pool - which is used by owners having fleet of cars. They in turn employ drivers - who they pay %age for every ride - incentivising the drivers employed to drive around more - who needs an average of 10+ rides to make comfortable number without investing in own car. (Fleet owner is responsible for car ownership + maintenance + fuel)

Those who have been in system for last two years have minted money - like multibaggers - and those who are new - are like retail investors - watching tv/papers and looking at 1 L pm numbers- buying new cars and then not able to make those money -- do you see an anology here :)

Hello Candle,

I have also become an admirer of ST Sir gems. I am still reading his 'Osc. thread' and came across this thread.

Therefore, the aim is "Learn then Earn".

Thanks & Regards.

ST Sir,

I know "Breakout from sideways consolidation" is a good system, but don't have it.
Any suggestion on procuring the same to help us?

Thanks & Regards.

ST Sir,

I know "Breakout from sideways consolidation" is a good system, but don't have it.
Any suggestion on procuring the same to help us?

Thanks & Regards.
I am not aware of any system based on breakouts fron sideways consolidation.But such breakouts should be in the direction of the main trend.Such breakout examples you can see even in intraday charts every day.

ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
I am not aware of any system based on breakouts from sideways consolidation.
But such breakouts should be in the direction of the main trend. Such breakout examples you can see even in intraday charts every day.

ST

Unquote:

I got your point ST Sir. Your 2nd line has given me the answer.

Thanks & Regards.