All of you please take part in this Opinion Poll!

Hello Guys!

I dont know how to create an Opinion poll graph, so I am putting my query here and get a generalised opinion.

The Sensex is tanking down, down down.. As I write this it is threatening to below 11K. This reminds me of my childhood days when we used to play "snakes & ladders" game... Just when I thought I would reach 100 after climbing several ladders in the playboard.. there is big snake right at 99. As always, the dice has to get to that unfortunate 99 most of the times.. and behold.. it is free downslide drive to the bottom at 3 no. :) Would you all not agree after reaching 21K (ladders)..... the sensex is unfortunately trapped in coiled BIG snake :)

Anyways, if you have laughed a bit about my comparison above, here is what I am thinking. Look at all those channels, those so call 'fat paid' analysts keep on assuring all common middle class people we are fundamentaly strong and are insulated with the happenings at US. The FM is also talking on the same lines.

I guess only people like in this forum will give a 'neutralised' opinion as the main aim of this forum is to HELP others as well as HELP themselves. Apart from that there is no gain or loss.

I have not stopped investing which i started Jan-08. I never panicked before, but yesterday at CAMS, I did not find any enthusiasm or rush for investment. I also overheard their own staff say, it is really slow and the worst is yet to happen these days. No one sensible should invest during this period. All this while I thought this period was an opportunity as my investment plan is for longer period say 5-8 years or even bit more than that.

PLEASE PUT IN YOUR OPINIONS WHETHER ONE SHOULD :

A) Play the "Wait & Watch" game and completely STOP as of now.
B) Invest regularly as before as if NOTHING has happened.
C) CUT down your investment. Let there be only trickle, no big flows of
investment.
D) INCREASE your investment
E) Go on a BUYING spree as such opportunities wont come very soon.

BEGINNERS, EXPERTS .. PLEASE ALL OF YOU PUT IN YOUR OPINIONS WITH SMALL EXPLANATIONS OF YOUR CHOICE. LET ME EMPHASIS, WE ARE ONLY LEGITIMATE CORE GROUP OF LIKE MINDED PEOPLE WHO CARE FOR EACH OTHER'S MONEY. OTHER PEOPLE ARE ONLY MINDING THEIR BUSINESS.....

Thanks

Jeet

B as of now.

I shall take a look again afer 6 months. I hope by then most of the leveraged positions would have unwound and we will have a good measure of corporate health (non banking corporates).

If something really bad happens like say GM goes bust or major airlines around the world go bust, then I would make a portfolio of only gold. But on the other hand if stop having any more major bankruptcies, I would continue with Option B.

The reason why I am extremely cautious is because unlike other credit crunches the effect this time is multiplied many times due to highly leveraged unregulated OTC derivatives.

82 people read this only my dear friend Vicky bothered to reply.

Guys, i have written so long post.. all u need to do is pick up A, B, C, D or E with two line explantion. Is it too much to ask?

We are only trying for a healthy debate guys...

Thanks

Jeet

As of now.. B.
If we minimize or stop investing at this point we may miss the bus at the right time. Investing by SIP gives you better averaging when the markets are in the downtrend. Yes, the markets go through a cycle. Whatever goes down will have to come up.

When dust settles and the world markets start moving other direction..D

ARMHM

As in snake and ladder game we are still sliding and have not reched to square no. 3 yet. So "A" is my choice. Wait and Watch

S S

Hello Guys!

....The Sensex is tanking down, down down.. As I write this it is threatening to below 11K.....
PLEASE PUT IN YOUR OPINIONS WHETHER ONE SHOULD :

A) Play the "Wait & Watch" game and completely STOP as of now.
B) Invest regularly as before as if NOTHING has happened.
C) CUT down your investment. Let there be only trickle, no big flows of
investment.
D) INCREASE your investment
E) Go on a BUYING spree as such opportunities wont come very soon.

Thanks

Jeet
It appears that your main aim is the Poll for the Equity based Funds.

When market falls, one should wait for it to turn up, and only then start investing, which is also true for Equity based Funds.

Usually, it is believed that those persons, who either do NOT understand the stock markets, or do NOT have time to follow them, would take the Funds as an alternative.

In such a case, there is no option left for such persons, but to stay out. Selling at such low levels is out of question. One could average out as the markets bottom out, possibly during this month. But one needs to wait to get a confirmation of the markets having bottomed out.

Cheers!
SS

I will go for D...actually it depends on ones risk profile and how you are investing and how much cash reserve you have in your portfolio.
I will leave my current SIpo running but will try to additional purchases of the large cap funds in my portfolio during every dips in coming 2-3 months...which will help to average out my lossess.

I started investing in March
I am having 50% investment through SIP and 50% through online(which I buy in small amounts in days when markets go down although entry load is there, like i bought in mid june, july, september, then now I am buying every day in small bits n peices).
What I found is that i had significant losses with the funds I bought throug SIP compared to the ones I bought through online in dates of my wish(when markets nosedive). So I prefer to invest more now and continue the SIP what I am having now but will decrease the SIP later to compensate for the extra purchases I made now sothat total invest ment in the equity is same.

My choice is more like C.
I have stopped all future investments in thematic/sectoral/midcap oriented funds (above-average risk category), while continuing SIP in large caps as before.
In ELSS I invest as lumpsum, so kept this category on hold.
Meanwhile, I assume, this market will take quite a long time to stabilize & some more time to move ahead. Looking at 'Portfolio Gain & loss' is very painful these days, all your assets eroding fast. I have increased exposure to Debt instruments for a while- say for 1yr in FD, giving compounded interest of around 11.2%.
mr india

There we go!!!

So far no concrete direction.. it is mixture of A, B, C and D... B options seems to gain weightage....

But nice explanations ! All can learn and re-consider their options by sharing like this... See now the sensex is 10 K. However small your investment may be... it is your hard earned money ... so this discussion is important to come to some sort of conclusion. Though 100% assurance is not there... it would be better than misled by so called analysts..or professional financial experts..

Thesed days.. I am suffering from analystphobia... The moment I hear some debates or fundamentally strong concept... I begin to feel uneasy :)

Nothing serious though.. my investment is peanuts.. but I do believe whether in US or India or elswhere.. the common man is affected.. retirment money, money reserved for marriage, money for.. money for.. those are LOST...

Thanks for participation.. hoping to continue...

Regards

Jeet