1 LAKH Profit in Portfolio !!!

karthikmarar

Re: 1 LAKH Profit in Portfoilo !!!

nkpanjiyar said:
Friends, next 1 lakh profit is added today in portfolio. I take this opportunity to thank all of my well wishers et all heartily.

Special thanks to Saint, Amit, Karthik, Supratik, Jaideep, sh50, CV, joy_mitali and ofcourse Traderji for all support, help and encouragement.

May all members achieve much more success.

Thanks & Regards,
nkpanjiyar
NK

Weldone, my friend. Waiting eagarly for your post on your first 10 Lakhs. I am very sure that I will see it soon. Wishing you all the very best..

warm regards

karthik

AMITBE said:
Hey NK, as I said then I'm saying now, we are one big family here. One for all and all for one!
Great going and tell us of the next 100000 soon. :)
Cheeeeers!!
Amit bhai, thanks a lot for your wishes and support. Amit, I want to admit the fact that Bharat Forge did the trick in crossing the said mark. And it is still rocking (up 18%). Under your guidance and support may I reach the next mark soon. Thanks again.

cheers,
nkpanjiyar

daewoo59 said:
Hello members

I just joined with the help of my friend and great advisor Mr Murali.He asked me to visit this site.Very interesting and informative.

Thanks

Devadoss
Welcome and hope you will have good time here.

Suhas Joshi said:
Dear NK

Congrats.

Pl. enlighten us @ u portfolio
Thanks Joshi. Regarding portfolio, I had already mentioned in my first post. Do check and write me back in case of any confusion.

cheers,
nkpanjiyar

manojknl said:
good . i use to be invester from 90 till 94. stopped then. now planning to come back. it is nice to hear your part as asmall invester like me.
keep it up
cheers
Thanks Manojknl.

Agilent said:
NKPanjiyar

First of all , congrats on your feats .. may you make many more lakhs !

I find your strategy interesting... I mean accumulating (maybe even averaging) during corrections (each fall of 5 % etc) ... this makes absolute sense as long as the uptrend resumes after the correction.

Looking at your portfolio, most of the scrips (but not all !) seem to have been in a primary bull trend at least since last 12 mths , so your averaging tactic would surely have boosted (increased) your paper profits

Also, very few of them have had corrections of 18% during the corrections , so you may not have got the triggers to 'book profits' in those cases. Except of course in the May 04 crash... but then you seem to have entered the market after that period ... count yourself lucky!!

So overall -- if I am right --- your corpus (money invested as on date) in the markets would have grown many times over the past 2 yrs (my guess is 3 to 4 times your original investment of a couple of lakhs)

Keep it up ... and let's hope that the uptrend continues indefinitely (at least in the scrips in your portfolio).

AGILENT:cool:
By the way you do not believe at all in hedging (e.g. by buying nifty puts) to safeguard against sudden, sustained corrections
Agilent, thanks a ton for your kind words and good wishes.

Friend, i am a very conservative investor. Being a salaried employee, got thrilled if any of my investments give me better results than bank or like that. I believe in buying a good cow which will give me good amount of milk for many years.

One such cow I added was ONGC. In last 2 years it has given me more that 6000 dividend and I bought it when it was langushing around 630 before IPO. Got IPO allotment of 60 shares too.

Being electrical engineer by qualification, I am very much bullish in the power growth of India as we are still using very less amount of power compare to developed countries. Hence applied for NTPC IPO and got 214 shares at 62. There was time when it surged to 94 within couple of months. and fallen back to 80-83 level where I added many more than my IPO allotment. Am still waiting for juciest level to enter in it again. Holding 600 @ 78.

I entered ABB very high around 1890 and then after few months it came to level of 1620 where I added much more. Today it is more than 3000.

One classic case with me is ITC where I bought just 2 shares before the bonus and split at very high price of 1920. And after split my cost price was about 179. If you remember ITC got very good beating and it went to the level of 114. I purchased many ITC shares at 130, 128, 124, 120, 115 levels. Today I have 350 @ 130. CMP ITC - 179.35

There are other shares too like Petronet LNG@15, BHEL@612, SBI@620, PNB@340, Wipro@320, Reliance@522, Gujamb@65 which I avearaged whenever there was substantial fall somewhere more than 7% (also) from my buy price.

Yes, it is right that couple of investments has grown many times in this bull run. I feel I am lucky to be part of this bull market and bought some fo the good shares at very low price compare to CMP.

As I do not get enough time to learn about futures, options I am unable to hedge my portfolio. Also I find derivative to be risky affair for a beginner like me. It needs separate treatment unlike equity. After 3/4 more years I may start doing that but presently I am keeping myself away from it.

Being a very conservative investor, I invest only in the range of 5000 to 15000 first time and not more than that and keep adding in that range only if opportunity arises. My first preference is to preserve my principal and wont mind profit erode as long as my principal amount is safe. An outfashioned investor! Even a small sum I earned in the stock market add to my happiness coz that is not my profession and I earned my livelihood from some other work.

Thanks again for showing deep interest in my post and portfolio.

cheers,
nkpanjiyar

Agilent said:
nkp

Wonder if you read my recent post ... I was trying to understand the risks of your unusual strategy of averaging/accumulating on 5 % dips and exiting on 18 % fall

Hope you give us the benefit of your experience

Just noticed your initial post where u say u enterd in Feb 04 .... Looks like u stayed in IPOs initially and stayed out of secondary market in May 04... am I right ?

Because if you had been in the secondary market then (and particularily if you were unlucky in entering at the minor top of sensex 6000) , your strategy could have been loss making

See attachment : I have done some notional buy/accumulate and sell trades in Sensex based on your 5 % and 18 % triggers ... of course individual scrips in your portfolio may not have exactly moved like sensex, but still ....

Eager to know how you stayed clear of that possible catastrophe .. and also how you plan to protect your portfoio in future against similar falls

Cheers and happy trading
AGILENT:cool:
Agilent, my friend, things are not that linear as you have mentioned in the attached pdf.

You have taken the example of Sensex which is not in sync with my portfolio movement. You had taken the scenario where you have constantly decreased the value of Sensex by 5% which is not the simulation of real time scenario. I was not talking in the sense that you had understood.

I was talking of the scenario where my some particular stock get down (more than 5%) lets say ITC (which I mentioned in the previous post) came to 140 level after split whereas my buy price was 179 around. So I added more being sure about ITC fundamentals. I applied this very selectively with only good companies and its not a general for every stock.

Secondly, lets say that I invested 1 lakh in various companies (say 5/6). And today the invested amount become 1,30,000. Now in the correction if it comes to level of say 1,07,000 (down 23000 by about 17.7% of 1.3 lakh), I will sell everything and get out preserving my capital. I know there will be lot of criticism of this amateur approach but I wont mind. I am happy with my simple rule. I reiterate i am a very conservative investor and not a professional trader or alike.

Hope I had answered your query.

cheers,
nkpanjiyar