Zerodha - Number One Discount Broker in India

arcus

Zerodha, as a discount broker has no competitive advantage from the other discount brokers in India.

Unless they bring a decent Back Office and Trading Platform, they are similar, if not worse that the other discount brokers.

They had 10 Crores profit last year. Even if they would have invested 10-15% of that into the development of the BO and Platform, they would be miles ahead of the competition.

99% of the time the Trader spends is either in front of the Trading Platform or in the Back Office. If all the discount brokers have the same BO/TP; there is no point in choosing one over the other.

As Warren Buffett says, there is no economic moat around Zerodha as of now.

Last edited:

LivetoTrade

Who gets the interest of the money deposited at our trading account until we purchase the shares ? Is it broker ? If broker , how much Zerodha earns by this way in a year ?
Zerodha is a business entity, so will hold a Current Account.

I doubt if interest is given for current account balances.

Zerodha

hi,
the new back office is in shambles once again. p&l reports not updated. the trade book/chart not updated.open positions show the current value of the open positions as profits. luckily there is the old bo to fall back upon. it must be a nightmare for a heavy trader to accurately know his current status relying only on the back office reports. zerodha, when can we expect consistent blemish free bo reporting.
Checking this, we were migrating to production servers, could be the reason.

Zerodha

Zerodha, as a discount broker has no competitive advantage from the other discount brokers in India.

Unless they bring a decent Back Office and Trading Platform, they are similar, if not worse that the other discount brokers.

They had 10 Crores profit last year. Even if they would have invested 10-15% of that into the development of the BO and Platform, they would be miles ahead of the competition.

99% of the time the Trader spends is either in front of the Trading Platform or in the Back Office. If all the discount brokers have the same BO/TP; there is no point in choosing one over the other.

As Warren Buffett says, there is no economic moat around Zerodha as of now.
Hey Arcus,

We understand this better than anyone else, there have been the new guys some of whom even copy pasted content from our website. Over the last 1 year, our biggest spend has been on technology and the results of all the work will start showing up soon.

But yeah, we will soon start flexing our muscle...

Hey Arcus,

We understand this better than anyone else, there have been the new guys some of whom even copy pasted content from our website. Over the last 1 year, our biggest spend has been on technology and the results of all the work will start showing up soon.

But yeah, we will soon start flexing our muscle...
Dear Zerodha team

I differ on what you quoted above. We constantly face issues with your BO. Trading platform NEST itself is a pain in ***. No doubt that you guys have created niche in the market for yourself but yes bragging about investing huge in IT infra from last one year doesn't sound promising.
Couple of points - unstable trade terminal, Old BO is designed to work only on IE, New BO never comes out of BETA mode and what is there looks shaky and un-synced.
You might need to see the BO of Sharekhan on how well they are managing their trade reports on 'capital gain', 'daily profit/loss', 'average buy/sell price', 'trade alerts' etc. On top of it you receive SMS for each and every trade at the day end. No doubt they are costly but at the end of the day being cheap is not the only way to satisfy customers but being friendly make the difference.
We have high hopes and trust on your words when you say 'We will soon throw a nice BO and Trade platform' but this trust is fading with each passing day. Please make your trade tools user friendly and not complicated as not all of us here are scientists. Keep it simple rather running after fancy stuffs.

Looking forward for some customer friendly changes soon from your side.

Dear Zerodha team

I differ on what you quoted above. We constantly face issues with your BO. Trading platform NEST itself is a pain in ***. No doubt that you guys have created niche in the market for yourself but yes bragging about investing huge in IT infra from last one year doesn't sound promising.
Couple of points - unstable trade terminal, Old BO is designed to work only on IE, New BO never comes out of BETA mode and what is there looks shaky and un-synced.
You might need to see the BO of Sharekhan on how well they are managing their trade reports on 'capital gain', 'daily profit/loss', 'average buy/sell price', 'trade alerts' etc. On top of it you receive SMS for each and every trade at the day end. No doubt they are costly but at the end of the day being cheap is not the only way to satisfy customers but being friendly make the difference.
We have high hopes and trust on your words when you say 'We will soon throw a nice BO and Trade platform' but this trust is fading with each passing day. Please make your trade tools user friendly and not complicated as not all of us here are scientists. Keep it simple rather running after fancy stuffs.

Looking forward for some customer friendly changes soon from your side.

I would like to chip in here. Note i do not work for Zerodha or any firm here before i make below points.

Zerodha started in somewhere around 2010 and they will take their time to build from ground up . you cannot compare sharekhan to Zerodha. Sharekhan started in 2000, they have a lead of over 10 years , so obviously they have to give out better services and products if they are are survive in this business.

I say let Zerodha take their time when it comes to software & technology. coming a software background, i can tell you this time to market is complete bullshit , it is short term thinking and will only cause customer dissatisfaction in the long run.

Like me many are doing their business with Zerodha so we expect them to do better , but doing better does not mean coming out hastily with crappy product and services.So let Zerodha take their time to come out with solid products, as it takes time as per their capabilities and resources, they know best. I have been on the both sides of the software industry , so i know when a customer is wrong and when he is right.

Zerodha has just started the brokerage business , they will need to improve a lot on the technology front. Not an easy task if you are new. There are certainly areas where they need to improve and focus on like customer services and technology ,since these two will be the key drivers for their business going forward.

So hopefully, we will see some good reliable products and better service in the coming years.....