Zerodha Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

megapixel

Contract notes not coming on time.... people are posting on the forum. Log into your backoffice and get the contract, people, it will take less keystrokes that complaining here. ( No offence to comm)
those complaints are genuine. This is mandatory for all brokers to send Contract Notes timely. This is not a small issue.

You are not supposed to login to backoffice and download bills / contract notes after every trade. You should also know a broker may loose license if they don't send ECN notes to their clients.

People are not asking for any favor. People are asking for a solution to a genuine problem.

comm4300

Contract notes not coming on time.... people are posting on the forum. Log into your backoffice and get the contract, people, it will take less keystrokes that complaining here. ( No offence to comm)
None taken. However being Zerodha customer is it imperative to know and believe that we are dealing with some professional brokers who have process map and a guideline to do each and everything.

Had i not been happy with them, i would not have referred 4 customers so far.

But, being cheap doesn't mean sloppy work.

Take for instance on Thursday where i had a technical problem - Ztrader would just not launch despite restart/reinstall/run as admin options. I called up Zerodha to explain that i had technical problem and i need someone from tech team to take a look at my laptop [via teamviewer] to help resolve.

The grumpy voice over the phone asked me ""which sales person opened your account?" When i said "mr. Rizxxx" i was told "he'll call you back"
no doubt i got a call back...and all that poor chap could do was the same things i had already done....reinstall/restart...so on and so forth....he did not have the tech expertise to handle my case. The phone ended w/o any resolution.

eventually, i restored windows to a prev version and Ztrader worked.

And guess what, i receive an email from Hari [zerodha] saying that the issue has been successfully resolved.

Instance #2:
----------------------------------------------------------
I had emailed Zerodha about Ztrader website not showing any dropdown [segment] while trying to transfer funds. I had attached screenshot of the problem. The email did not have any mention about terminal.
reply i got:
We do not allow Equity transfer through the terminal yet. For this you will have to login to your backoffice and make the transfer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instance #3:
My referral whose a/c got opened was pestered by the RM asking for a minimum of 5k. The 5k was not important, but the tone of the RM saying "you have to "......

what reply do we have from Zerodha?....probably some over ambitious RM...ignore him...

did we not want a hassle free a/c in the first place?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
this is akin to the Govt/party saying...words from Gigvijay Ging are not ours... we'll selectively agree/disagree to what he says....

And again, let me emphasize im a Zerodha customer.

sumo, all aim asking Zerodha team to do is to get their ROUTINE right. Not MT4, nothing fancy.....just the daily routine work of READING, UNDERSTANDING and then responding to emails and phone calls properly.....

And if doing your routine job stresses you out and requires a punching bag...then this probably isn't the job for you.

remember Sumo; you and i are the ones fighting daily battle here in the market....Zerodha's role is that of Support and that too critical....and they ought to do it well...nothing fancy..just be there and help when needed.

We all could verywell compare Zerodha to Indiafools/infoline/so on and so forth....but, is this what we want to get into...wasn't Zerodha way ahead of them already? what's wrong in pulling up Zerodha if their routine is messed up.

cheers....i've to get back to doing my HW on Banknifty options and see if i can make some money....

Last edited:
None taken. However being Zerodha customer is it imperative to know and believe that we are dealing with some professional brokers who have process map and a guideline to do each and everything.

Had i not been happy with them, i would not have referred 4 customers so far.

But, being cheap doesn't mean sloppy work.

Take for instance on Thursday where i had a technical problem - Ztrader would just not launch despite restart/reinstall/run as admin options. I called up Zerodha to explain that i had technical problem and i need someone from tech team to take a look at my laptop [via teamviewer] to help resolve.

The grumpy voice over the phone asked me ""which sales person opened your account?" When i said "mr. Rizxxx" i was told "he'll call you back"
no doubt i got a call back...and all that poor chap could do was the same things i had already done....reinstall/restart...so on and so forth....he did not have the tech expertise to handle my case. The phone ended w/o any resolution.

eventually, i restored windows to a prev version and Ztrader worked.

And guess what, i receive an email from Hari [zerodha] saying that the issue has been successfully resolved.

Instance #2:
I had emailed Zerodha about Ztrader website not showing any dropdown [segment] while trying to transfer funds. I had attached screenshot of the problem. The email did not have any mention about terminal.
reply i got:
We do not allow Equity transfer through the terminal yet. For this you will have to login to your backoffice and make the transfer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instance #3:
My referral whose a/c got opened was pestered by the RM asking for a minimum of 5k. The 5k was not important, but the tone of the RM saying "you have to "......

what reply do we have from Zerodha?....probably some over ambitious RM...ignore him...

did we not want a hassle free a/c in the first place?

this is akin to the Govt/party saying...words from Gigvijay Ging are not ours... we'll selectively agree/disagree to what he says....

And again, let me emphasize im a Zerodha customer.

sumo, all aim asking Zerodha team to do is to get their ROUTINE right. Not MT4, nothing fancy.....just the daily routine work emails and phone calls attended and responded to properly.....

And if doing your routine job stress you out and requires a punching bag...then this probably isn't the job for you.

remember Sumo; you and i are the ones fighting daily battle here in the market....Zerodha's role is that of Support and that too critical....and they ought to do it well...nothing fancy..just be there and help when needed.

We all could verywell compare Zerodha to Indiafools/infoline/so on and so forth....but, is this what we want to get into...wasn't Zerodha way ahead of them already? what's wrong in pulling up Zerodha if their routine is messed up.

cheers....i've to get back to doing my HW on Banknifty options and see if i can make some money....
Nice post, I think for a change, I can agree with almost all the issues you have mentioned :D

By the way, if restoring windows to previous state solved the problem, then maybe the problem was a localised one, and maybe beyond the expertise level of Zerodha.

I would suggest that you take regular backups of your registry, , through system restore, preferabley twice a week, it can be very handy sometimes.

mrkanitkar

those complaints are genuine. This is mandatory for all brokers to send Contract Notes timely. This is not a small issue.

You are not supposed to login to backoffice and download bills / contract notes after every trade. You should also know a broker may loose license if they don't send ECN notes to their clients.

People are not asking for any favor. People are asking for a solution to a genuine problem.
The quality of things discussed on this thread is going down. No offence to megapixel.

I am not promoting or supporting Zerodha here. Let me help traders who think there is big issue on ECN.
ECN - Electronic Contract Notes.
Sebi and Exchanges (NSE, BSE) both decide rules on this.
Members of exchange have to follow exchange rules along with Sebi guideline.
Here are rules.
---------------------
Authorization for Electronic Contract Notes
The stock broker may issue electronic contract notes (ECN) if specifically authorized by the client subject to the following conditions:
a) The authorization shall be in writing and be signed by the client only and not by any authorised person on his behalf or holder of the Power of Attorney.
b) The email id shall not be created by the broker. The client desirous of receiving ECN shall create/provide his own email id to the stock broker.
c) The authorization shall have a clause to the effect that that any change in the emailid shall be communicated by the client through a physical letter to the broker. In respect of internet clients, the request for change of email id may be made through the secured access by way of client specific user id and password.
Additional Conditions:
SEBI has issued a circular no. MRD/DoP/SE/Cir-20/2005 dated 8th September, 2005
regarding additional conditions for electronic issuance of contract notes, with the
following details;
1. SEBI has stated that brokers can issue contract notes authenticated by means of digital signatures provided that the broker has obtained digital signature certificate from Certifying Authority under the IT Act, 2000.
2.1 Issuing ECNs when specifically consented
The digitally signed ECNs may be sent only to those clients who have opted to receive the contract notes in an electronic form, either in the Member — Client agreement I Tripartite agreement or by a separate letter. The mode of confirmation shall be as per the agreement entered into with the clients.
2.2 Where to send ECNs The usual mode of delivery of ECNs to the clients shall be through e-mail. For this purpose, the client shall provide an appropriate e-mail account to the member which shall be made available at all times for such receipts of ECNs.
2.3 Requirement of digital signature
All ECNs sent through the e-mail shall be digitally signed, encrypted, non tamperable and shall comply with the provisions of the IT Act, 2000. In case the ECN is sent through e-mail as an attachment, the attached file shall also be secured with the digital signature, encrypted and non-tamperable.
2.4 Requirements for acknowledgement, proof of delivery, log report etc.
2.4.1 Acknowledgement
The acknowledgement of the e-mail shall be retained by the member in a soft and nontamperable form.16
2.4.2 Proof of delivery
i. The proof of delivery i.e., log report generated by the system at the time of sending the contract notes shall be maintained by the member for the specified period under the extant regulations of SEBI/stock exchanges and shall be made available during inspection, audit, etc.
ii. The member shall clearly communicate to the client in the agreement / client registration documents executed with the client for this purpose that non-receipt of bounced mail notification by the member shall amount to delivery of the contract note at the e-mail ID of the client.
2.4.3 Log Report for rejected or bounced mails
i. The log report shall also provide the details of the contract notes that are not delivered to the client/ e-mails rejected or bounced back.
ii. Also, the member shall take all possible steps (including settings of mail servers, etc) to ensure receipt of notification of bounced mails by the member at all times within the stipulated time period under the extant regulations of SEBI/stock exchanges.
2.5 When to issue or send in Physical mode
2.5.1 Issue in Physical mode
In the case of those clients who do not opt to receive the contract notes in the electronic form, the member shall continue to send contract notes in the physical mode to such clients.
2.5.2 Send in Physical mode
Wherever the ECNs have not been delivered to the client or has been rejected (bouncing of mails) by the e-mail ID of the client, the member shall send a physical contract note to the client within the stipulated time under the extant regulations of SEBI/stock exchanges and maintain the proof of delivery of such physical contract
notes.
2.6 General requirements
2.6.1 ECNs through website
In addition to the e-mail communication of the ECNs in the manner stated above, in order to further strengthen the electronic communication channel, the member shall simultaneously publish the ECN on his designated web-site in a secured way and enable relevant access to the clients.
2.6.2 Access to the website
In order to enable clients to access the ECNs posted in the designated website in a secured way, the member shall allot a unique user name and password for the purpose, with an option to the client to access the same and save the contract note electronically or take a print out of the same.
2.6.3 Preservation/Archive of electronic documents The member shall retain/archive such electronic documents as per the extant
rules/regulations/circulars/guidelines issued by SEBI/Stock Exchanges from time to time.
read http://www.sebi.gov.in/cms/sebi_data/commondocs/anncir2_p.pdf
http://www.nse-india.com/content/members/mem_comp_annexB.pdf
There is no point in crying for delay in ECN delivery by mail.
Broker will never lose license for such things. :D
Even ECN format, details everything is decided by SEBI and exchange.
Exchange will entertain complaints one
http://www.nseindia.com/invest/content/complaints_exchange.htm
Complaints against Exchange Members:
Capital Markets/ Futures & Options Segment:
Non-Issuance of the Documents by the Trading Member
Non-receipt of funds / securities
Non-receipt of margin/security deposit given to the Trading Member (TM)
Non-Receipt of Corporate Benefit (dividend / interest / bonus etc.)
Auction value / close out value received or paid
Execution of Trades without Consent
Excess Brokerage charged by Trading Member / Sub-broker
Non-receipt of credit balance as per the statement of account
Non-Receipt of Funds / Securities kept as margin
Excess Brokerage Charged (other than on Option Premium)
================
Issue of ECN within 24 hours of trade means, till 4 PM next working day- T+1 (as markets closes at 4 pm everyday, there is closing session happens post 3:30pm). Hope this clears.
Since many people on this thread do not care to use simple search and just post same queries again and again, is causing just disturbance. I request to do some search on thread and see if you get answer (after 10 K posts, you will get it for 90%). There is no point in asking same question. I also request to get certified on NCFM, so you better understand how market works, how whole machinery works.
I am National Stock Exchange & (Sebi - NISM) Certified Market professional.

Last edited:
You can do it presently, but not through an online module...

If you opened an account with us in the last 6 months, then all you have to do is send an email asking to pledge your stocks and we will do it for you..

If you have opened an account before that, then there is this document that you have to sign and send to us, once done you can send an email asking to pledge your stocks.. To get hold of this document, send an email to [email protected]..

The online module should be up by mid october for the same. We are having issues integrating with the trading platform..

Cheers
Hi Sachin/Zerodha,
I sent a mail to [email protected], asking for the document .. you have mentioned here...as I had opened my account more than 1 year back.I got the reply as follows:

Hi,

This email is with regards to your query on Margin against stocks. Please note that every broker collects margins in the form of Cash, Collateral (Security), Bank Guarantees, Fixed Deposits. It is very normal for every broker to give margin to its clients for the securities held by the client in their demat account.

To be able to take collateral for your shares in DP, you have to sign the DIS (Delivery Instruction Slip) which was given to you at the time of account opening by IL&FS. Please mention the number of shares and then send it over to us and then we'll pledge them for you and offer margins as per exchange haircut values.

Let me give you a brief on how the whole process of collateral margin would work : The shares would move from your beneficiary account to our (Zerodha) beneficiary account through an Off- Market transfer which you to initiate and in turn these stocks would be moved to IL&FS margin account. IL&FS would then provide you margins against these shares after considering NSE VaR margins and your limit would be enhanced on your trading platform. Whenever you wish to not receive these margins, you can just send us a request to withdraw the securities held in IL&FS and we would inturn move them to your beneficiary account. The whole process would cost you Rs 120/- per line item regardless of the size of your transfer/scrip.

Please note that at all times you would continue to remain the owner of the securities that you have transferred and hence would be eligible for all corporate benefits, whatsover. Such corporate benefits would be passed on to you. Every broker does this as a value added service and not necessarily as a money making process. We understand that not all clients can bring in cash to trade and since securities are assets, we could give margin against such assets for the client to trade.

However there are some rules regarding the same which is explained below :

You would need to transfer the shares from your DP to our beneficiary account at IL&FS. As soon as the shares are transferred, you'll get margin against those shares after the exchange prescribed haircut. For example, if you have stocks worth Rs. 100,000 in your account and if the exchange prescribed haircut is 30%, then the actual cash value of your stocks will be Rs. 70000. However, if you want to utilize this Rs. 70000 as cash in your trading account, you need to have at least 30% of that value as actual cash (not stocks). This means that you need to have cash of around Rs. 25000 to utilize the entire margin benefit of Rs. 70000 against your stocks.

This means that at any time for you to utilise your margin against stocks, you need to have 30% of the total margin in terms of cash. All MTM losses if any will be considered from this cash margin available in your account.

Hope this clarifies. Please let us know in case you have any more queries.

Thanks,
Bharath

So can you pleas clarify?

Let me post for the bunch of queries together:

1. Withdrawals, no charges for withdrawing funds from the trading account and no limit on number of withdrawals.
To request for a payout, login to the backoffice and go to withdrawals, put the amount and save it. All processing is done around 7.30pm every evening. Any request placed after that is processed the next day. If your account is HDFC, it will hit your bank account the same night and if other banks, it should happen the next day by 1.30pm.

2. About contract notes, we had 2 days in the last 1 month where there were problems with our email server. We have fixed this issue immediately. Yes on the couple of such days, the contract notes might have come to you a little late.

Yesterday, was the third friday of the month. This is settlement day for all global indices f&o, settlement price is based on the special opening quotation on CME. Special opening quotation comes through only by 7pm and NSE sends us trade files late on such days. If we offer clients trading on global indices, this day the processing will happen late and hence contract note will be delivered late. Details of this can be found out on: http://www.nseindia.com/products/content/gi/General_brochure.pdf

3. About ZT, guys though it might sound cliche.. what we are trying to do is pretty taxing at our costs. If a broker is asking for upfront commitment in terms of paying something before you trade, like the broker mentioned in the previous few posts, it is a different business..

We are working really hard, but that said there would be a couple of issues that is bound to happen however planned we are. There have been no issues as such. Software has been working smoothly and the only serious issue was that the equity payment gateway on ZT was not working. This is fixed and from monday, you can transfer funds instantly.

We had anticipated McxSX launch way back last December and hence were very keen to have all the exchanges up on our platform, It is not possible on NOW. If there are any small issues, send us an email to [email protected], if contract note is late, if your passwords is locked, if you post issues like these on this forum, it can be pretty misleading.

Half the calls we receive during the day are people calling us up to ask for prices and they keep crowding our call n trade desk. These are not people who execute the trades, they just keep calling us for prices. We are a team of 60 people today and in a much better position to support than a year back. We will probably find a fix for this soon, but if you are one of those who keeps calling us for prices, our call n trade desk is for call n trade and customer support.

About the margin requirements please understand that nifty is up almost 15% from 5000 to 5700. So when nifty has gone up 15% the margin requirement also would have gone up 15%. ON ZT, the margin set is 40% of SPAN+ Exposure, The margin requirement can show more if there is a pending order in the system.

@vasudevan, if you are saying 14k is getting blocked in your account, I am quite surprised, because there is just 1 rule set for all our clients. But i'd call you personally and see why this is happening on monday.
Why no reply about not able to add scrips,order window not opening,order not accepting and saying RMS auto square off blocked when margin is available and MIS option chosen correctly-why not accept flaws in software and rectify it instead of going on denial mode ,questioning client's wisdom about not selecting margin option and knowing slight increase in margin due to market gone up slightly AND what is the necessity to delete scrip files to do basic tasks.All these started only since wednes day

I had lot of good will for Zerodha and suggested some points to incorporate in Z Trader but software failure and attitude of denying and indifferent replies from Customer (un)Care makes me to seriously rethink on my plans to dump other accounts and jump on Zerodha full scale.

Margin exposure and turn over charges rejigging along with fixing software bugs alone will take you much further up (for now you are attractive only for big option traders).

Initial euphoria is evaporating , please spruce up yourself

mrkanitkar

You need to talk to makers of NEST and not brokers. Brokers have no direct control on software, they have to select one of approved CTCL product and use it. In OEM market only 2 main products ODIN and NEST are there, both are owned by Exchanges, (ODIN by FT-MCX, NEST - NSE). We all know quality of ODIN, ODIN even don't have installer, one has to install files separately. If you are talking about Sharekhan, Indiabulls PIB, those are approved but proprietary products. In case of discount brokerage, people are looking for high speed trading terminal, Zerodha gives that. The slippage is very low and quotes & order execution are really fast. One can also go for co-located server at NSE or even have own trading software by requesting DMA to broker. Sebi and Exchange allows it with some paper work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.