which Type of DEBT mutual funds a retail investor with 3-4 years horizon should buy

hi
which Type of DEBT mutual funds a retail investor with 3-4 years horizon should buy : Gilt , long term , short term or ultra short term.
My little research suggested Debt long term like SBI or IDFC dynamic bond fund.

any suggestions.

Thanks & regards

Mr.G

Re: which Type of DEBT mutual funds a retail investor with 3-4 years horizon should b

Debt funds don't give that high of a yield. You should either invest in a company FDS or in stocks as your view is long enough. But if you still wanna invest in bonds you can do so yourself, it's not as difficult as stock investing.

hauler

Re: which Type of DEBT mutual funds a retail investor with 3-4 years horizon should b

hi
which Type of DEBT mutual funds a retail investor with 3-4 years horizon should buy : Gilt , long term , short term or ultra short term.
My little research suggested Debt long term like SBI or IDFC dynamic bond fund.

any suggestions.

Thanks & regards
Ultra short term 3 months< x< 1 year
Short term(Gilt/Debt) 1 year<x<3 years
Long term(Gilt/Debt) > 3 years

IDFC Dynamic is better than SBI's. Although, I would say that if you are less than 60 years of age and your timeframe is more than 2 years, you should be investing in some equity funds using SIP.

Thanks Mr.G & Hauler for your replies.
I have been investing in equity MF since last many years & intend to continue doing so.Just wanted to diversify some part to debt too ,since interest rates seem to be heading down with RBI providing good buying opportunity with its last week action.

Regards,

I too agree with above posts of going with dynamic fund. Dynamic bond fund have flexibility to change duration as and when needed. As you said you have done little research so I would also like to suggest you one more name of BSL Dynamic Bond Fund for which I have opted. You can give a thought to this one too.

Thanks KrutikaliPatel for your suggestion...will definitely take it into account.

Mr.G

Personally I don't like bonds. Look into commodity arbitrage in nsel. You won't regret it.