Which one should I consider: BSE or NSE?

bulava

Hi,

I traded on BSE regularly using ICICI DEMAT. I attracted Rs 6,000/- brokerage charges since Jan'09 (wonder why ICICI charges so high!). Recently I took Sharekhan with 2,000/- advance brokerage package, wanted to trade with my HDFC bank account.

a) Could you please tell me which exchange should I consider to Buy/Sell (better price) for MIDCAP & IT stocks.

b) If I Buy a stock from BSE, can I Sell the same at NSE? If yes, will there be any additional brokerage charge for me?

Thanks you very much.

a) You can buy from any exchange if the price is lower than the other exchange. Buy where prices are lower. usually BSE has lower prices a few paise/rupees.

b) Yes, you can only sell the "Delivered Shares" (DP Free holding) on either exchanges.

bulava

a) You can buy from any exchange if the price is lower than the other exchange. Buy where prices are lower. usually BSE has lower prices a few paise/rupees.

b) Yes, you can only sell the "Delivered Shares" (DP Free holding) on either exchanges.
Thanks for that update. Well, I got a great confusion (yet to do a Sell transaction with Sharekhan). Sharekhan UI is quite complicated compared to the ICICI Demat :confused:

Here's is a typical case:

a) Say I brought 100 shares
b) Now me like to Sell only 25 out of 100 shares.

Confusion is there are two fields in Trade Now:

1) Order Quantity: ___
2) Order Disclosed Quantity: ___

What should I fill in those fields when am doing full stock Sell and partial stock Sell as mentioned in the above case.

Thank you very much.

AW10

You shd specify Order Quantity. i.e. mention 25 here.
Order disclosed quantity is used when don't want the order book of NSE to show the real size of your order (remember u can see best 5 bids on a scrip which displays the quantity for your order as well). This number should be less then Order Qty i.e 25, say 5 or 10. If you don’t specify this, then all complete order quantity will be used to disclose your order.

For small order quantity it doesn’t matter.. but it becomes important when you want to trade in big lot – say 1000. At that time, u would like to disclose 50 or 100 as disclose qty.. otherwise, everybody in mkt will know that a big order is waiting in the queue and smart people can take advantage from it.

Happy Trading.

bulava

You shd specify Order Quantity. i.e. mention 25 here.
Order disclosed quantity is used when don't want the order book of NSE to show the real size of your order (remember u can see best 5 bids on a scrip which displays the quantity for your order as well). This number should be less then Order Qty i.e 25, say 5 or 10. If you dont specify this, then all complete order quantity will be used to disclose your order.
Thanks for the update, am I correct if I specify like this to do partial Sell of 25 shares:

1) Order Quantity: 25
2) Order Disclosed Quantity: BLANK

So, those 25 would be automatically deducted out of 100. Isn't it?

For small order quantity it doesnt matter.. but it becomes important when you want to trade in big lot say 1000. At that time, u would like to disclose 50 or 100 as disclose qty.. otherwise, everybody in mkt will know that a big order is waiting in the queue and smart people can take advantage from it.

Happy Trading.
Does it mean, when I wish to Sell 200 out of 1000 shares:

1) Order Quantity: 1000
2) Order Disclosed Quantity: 200

Am I correct? Sorry am not clear on this :eek:

Thank again.

bunny

Thanks for the update, am I correct if I specify like this to do partial Sell of 25 shares:

1) Order Quantity: 25
2) Order Disclosed Quantity: BLANK

So, those 25 would be automatically deducted out of 100. Isn't it?
Correct.

I think you have not understood the concept of "disclosed" quantity properly. I will try to explain again:
The share price changes when there is a imbalance in demand and supply. The share operator changes the share price according to the imbalance. If demand(BUY) is more than supply(SELL), then price will go up. Similarly, when supply(SELL) is greater than demand(BUY), price will go down. The share operator can see 5 best bids on his screen. So when you are placing a big order, others can see it and expect where the price will mover few moments later. The changed price may be applicable to your order too. Thus you may not get the best buy or best sell price.

Now lest say that you want to by 10,000 shares, but you do not want others to know this. If they know, you will not get it for the best price. So you must lie to others that you are transacting only 100 shares. Use the "Disclosed quantity" field to tell that lie!

I hope I could explain.

RDutt

Bulva,
for the time being u forget the disclosed qnty concept and simple do yr trades.
Since u r not going to do bulk trading in thousands of shares, this is not relevant. Leave the disclosed qnty column blank, and trade.
Happy Trading :D

Thanks for the update, am I correct if I specify like

Am I correct? Sorry am not clear on this :eek:

Thank again.
Order Quantity is important not the Disclosed Quantity. Then what is Disclosed Quantity. So, what does Disclose mean??? "to give somebody information about something, especially something that was previously secret"

So, using Disclosed Quantity you can hide the total quantity you are trying to buy or sell. You can hide up to 90% of your quantity, say you have 20 shares and want to show 90% less i.e., 2 shares, put order quantity:20 disclosed quantity:2. with each 2 share sell/buy, the exchange will show 2 again till all of your 20 shares are bought/sold.

Don't use disclose quantity if you don't want to show less number of shares than your "order quantity."