Votes: 64 46.0%
  • Hathaway

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • YOU (Previously Iqara)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 14 10.1%

• Total voters
In india there is not much choice, BSNL is the default and only one for speed. There used to be lot of down time in the beginning with BSNL , i used to complain using automated system. once our technician requested me not to complain using automated system for small problems and given a direct number. i quickly realised there is some pressure on the technicians when you use automated system . Now my internet connection is working almost 30 days in a month without much downtime except a few half hours once in a while. Technicians have assigned number and are made responsible for their outage.

BSNL is better. Always use the automated system to report outage immediately without wasting anytime when internet is not working. that's my experience.

Flock

I use BSNL broadband. Good speed 8 MBPS. Great price 280 p.m. for 1 GB, and around 98% uptime.

But then the catch is that rains, road construction, etc tend to play havoc with the cable sometimes.

In my area a franchisee is providing the service, so customer support is excellent, though I have needed it only to know how long it will take before the damaged cable is repaired.

A backup in the form of a wireless connection like Reliance Netconnect will keep you connected without much addition to cost. Combined cost should come to what others charge for just one connection.

I'm in Bangalore and have been using Airtel since two years. They also provide landline phone along with net connection. Combo plan means broadband with landline phone connection plans. There are various plans available. www.airtel.in The service has been excellent. Haven't faced any server problem yet. Customer service has been very good. Any issue gets resolved immd, or within same day. The internet speed also been very good (depending upon your plan, the actual speed differs).

Having said them its about my experience. There will be some who have experienced just the opp. of above in Airtel.

Using BSNL for past 2 years
Great service & awesome network
Just clogs a bit sometime but overall a gr8 deal
Monthly usage is around 30GB & price I pay is Rs 650 with around 200Kbps download speed :D

lvgandhi

Using BSNL for past 2 years
Great service & awesome network
Just clogs a bit sometime but overall a gr8 deal
Monthly usage is around 30GB & price I pay is Rs 650 with around 200Kbps download speed :D
Is it 30 GB for Rs.650. I saw their scheme as Rs.600 with 2.5 GB free only?

Sunil

I voted for Other (Reliance).

Plan = 4Mbps speed with free data upload/download upto 7.5GB
using it since May 08.

On the main 3 factors, as mentioned by Columbus:

1. Speed - 4Mbps is not a joke. Because of frequent uploading/downloading of files, I come to know the speed of transfer. It's indeed very fast. Youtube, MP3, etc during weekends/freetime is a breeze... <touchwood>
check your broadband speed here

2. Connectivity - Never heard of "downtime" after shifting to Reliance. Infact, with the modem provided (which has two outputs), I've connected another PC for my younger bro's PC - works fine

3. Customer service - any problem due to local infrastructure issues, etc is attended to the very next working day.

4. Costs - Installation charges = Rs 500/-
With this 500/-, u also get Modem/splitter (one input, two outputs)
PLUS
a landline phone (provided u choose a combo plan for telephone calls
Rs 50/- per month, with local calls worth Rs 50/- free - so, ur rent is effectively zero)

quite less as compared to 1000/- or 1500/- being charged unreasonably by local cable wallahs only for cable wiring (modem charged extra)

My Plan charges per month = Rs 1500 (for broadband/internet) + Rs 50 (for telephone) + STax
Various other prepaid/postpaid Tariffs
This is peanuts in comparison to what local cable wallahs offer, with shared speed & only pre-paid option.

The area where I stay has no AIRTEL or HATHWAY
Sify is as good as any local cable wallah (they sub-let their infrastructure to them)
TataIndicom (previously, VSNL) is good & cheap but only for cyber cafes. Still has the old, stubborn heritage of VSNL days
YOU telecom needs all the residents of my building to become its subscribers...
it's MTNL (not BSNL) in Bombay.... I have heard that quality is good, but there's a fortnight-to-a-month waiting period for new connection, unless some palms are greased. Just imagine, if u give a complaint, how long will it take to be attended by these "babus", who believe that they should only get Diwali bakshish & pay-increments, but customer service is simply washed away & "a petty thing" for them.
They are very strict & particular about some data download rules (need to restart modem every night at a fixed time, etc).

Local cable-wallahs offer the BEST customer service - within an hour, sometimes. Wish, the same could be said about their connection's speed & reliability

Pralhad

I have used Tata indicom, YOU and now using BSNL Broadband. Amonge these three BSNL is best. Rest I dont know

arjit

Hi,i am using Laptop and rel. connect data card for trading,also using RACEPRO (Religare).My problem is that when ever i login to it, it generally gives SERVER NOT RESPONDING.Help me.

oxusmorouz

1 week with Airtel is over and hell, I can't believe I put up with BSNL for so long! They took Rs.500 as registration charges and this is what I got:

1) A boy worked from 4AM till 12PM laying cables.
2) Another two hours went in a couple of electricians connecting wires from the ground floor to the first floor (where my room is) via the bathroom. They had to relay the PVC which connected the wires. Work done perfectly without a trace of damage.
3) Another couple of hours in setting up the telephone, configuring the modem, registering the airtel ID etc. Courteous enough to answer every question. This was followed by a couple of calls asking if I was satisfied with the process

All of them refused to take any money.

I was able to download 24GB (+ browsing hours) in my first six days (512 unlimited) without the connection getting cut even once. Average speed of 61KB/s.

So far, very satisfied with the service offered. Hope it continues.