which INTERNET connection do u use....

To sunandoghosh,

'i mean i have no idea what amount of data transfer actually takes place when u say ssee a website...can u give a rough idea plzzz.....'

There is a program called Du-Meter. You can download 30-day trial version of the program from http://www.dumeter.com/download.php. Use the internet normally as you would. This will give you a rough idea.

A free program that will give you more details is MagiTime which is available from
http://www.geocities.com/magistone.

Hope this helps in deciding the broadband connection you want to go for.

The Bandwidth prices are already almost very less . Regarding the 70% reduction in bandiwdth prices ..its not exactly the price of bandwidth. The reduced price is for Domestic leased circuit charges .That order also dismissed by TDSAT yesterday .The news papers are writing bandwidth where as the charges are for leased circuits.Last month also they wrote same bu the fact is that the prices reduced are for International private leased circuits .Naresh
very true...there is more hype than reality...God knows when we will have broadband in true sense at affordable price...
------------------
hi esanthosh
There is a program called Du-Meter. You can download 30-day trial version of the program
since this is a trial version...not preferable but will give a shot

Hope this helps in deciding the broadband connection you want to go for.
thanks for both the links...will give my feedback in two -three days usage
-------------------

Hi RajK

ya i have finally decided after lots and lots of analysis...that i will go for dataone broadband services offered by our Government...seems like other govt departments...here also they have a monopoly (atleast when u compare with private players)...

but i am unable to decide which plan to opt for...

I have made a small list of 4 plans:

Home 500
Home 1000
Home 1800
Business 1200

really unable to decide which one to take...speedwise, datacap wise; costwise; not sure

just take at the link below:

http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone_tariff.htm

Actually i have no idea how much monthly data i will use (never ever calculated before) but will do so now with the program specified by esanthosh.

Also whether 384kbpr or 512kbps will be too much and also whether in reality do we get the actual speed they claim or its far belw less than what they claim. In that case better to go for 512kbps otherwise even less may be OK.

Also modem cost is too high.

BUT YES i am going for dataone broadband just taking my time to select the plan.

thanks everyone...

will keep u updated as i progress...

Start with the Home 500 plan and then if you want you can always upgrade!

The speed and data tranfer of the Home 500 plan should be more than adequate for your needs.

RajK said:
Start with the Home 500 plan and then if you want you can always upgrade!The speed and data tranfer of the Home 500 plan should be more than adequate for your needs.
hey thanks man...atleast that gives some confidence...

since u have helped me in choosing the right plan buddy please also help me in deciding whether i should purhase modem (and if yes; from BSNL which costs rs 2000 or from market outside) or should i take initially rental in which rs 500 is gone intially (since it is non refundable; i wonder why they call it Security Deposit when it is non refundable) and apart from that rs 100 per month rental, which is very very reasonable.

Also say after purchasing the modem if i decide not to use dataone for some reason; is that usable in future with possibly other service providers or it becomes a junk box (in which rs 2000 is waste).

Now i know i have asked too too many questions but then i better be a bit cautious.

thanks a lot everyone for having patience with me.

cheers,

sunando

hi., guys..

im in bangalore.. im using airtel connection, broadband.. mothly they charge me 500 Rs for 256 kbps connection, for 1GB download limit for a month.. that is more than enoughh.. previously i was using 128 kbps unlimited for 900rs a month..

now from BSNL is providing the same 500 RS plan 256 Kbps 1 GB download per month..

im planning to switch over to 512 Kbps BSNL connection, with one year upfront paymnet it comes effectively 1500 rs per month, 5 GB download permonth limit...

for just trading purpose i think BSNL 256 kbps plan would do better i think...

sattvic.

im planning to switch over to 512 Kbps BSNL connection, with one year upfront paymnet it comes effectively 1500 rs per month, 5 GB download permonth limit...
thats true if u dont factor in the time value of money :D
plus modem charges and installation charges...2000+500 = rs 2500

also i have no idea but since u have airtel connection; their modem which u would have been using might be usable for bsnl...just check before u purchase... :)

what was ur experience with airtel broadband...??? were u getting actually 256kbps or something near it or was it very very less than what is advertised...??????????

i dont know why they r restricted to few cities only...

Hi,

You can test your internet connection speed at
http://www.toast.net/performance/
http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_meter/7004-7254_7-0.html

Or, just give a search on yahoo for "test network speed" or something like that and it will pull up quite a lot of sites to do that. You will have to do it a couple of time over a period of time to get a reliable estimate of how your internet connection performs. The Kbps values which the providers tout are the absolute maximum, the line can support. It does not mean that his servers, the pipe from the ISP to national backbone, the website server etc are actually enabling you to get data at that speed. The final speed you get is a combination of all these factors. Besides ofcourse if it is a cable, it is shared by others in your area. Generaly, if the provider has less customers (when new) then your chances of getting better speeds are higher.

My two cents.
Nihar

pkjha30

Hi
Try DATAONE from BSNL. They offer speeds starting from 256 kbps ( monthly rent of Rs. 500 +100 for modem rental +1GBPS data transfer).It is available for HOME or for Business plan.Detailed teriff is available from http://Dataone.in.

It is fixed to your existing telephone line with ADSL Modem. Data transfer speed are quite fast though it depends on various factors other than your connection speed.

Though I am no fan of PSU but this has potential to bring private sector players to their senses.Speed simply rocks.I am quite satisfied and their customer care has much improved.

You can connect multiple computers to it through HUB.

If you have no BSNL phone you can get one with DATAONE, charges extra.

I have also used TATAINDICOM and it is also very good and reliable but more costly.

Reliance CDMA phone can be used for broadband anywhere in india where thier services are available but too costly, I was told.

Dial up is cheap but crawls. It will hang you up at the crucial moment.