where to learn commodity trading

Iam fairly OK with equity trading

and iam zero in commodity trading

where to learn from scratch???

plz help
MCX provides MCCP program - just like NCFM modules. It'll help a lot in gaining basics of commodities [nature of commodity mkt, need, contract specifications etc].

rest is up to charts and your trading strategy.

Best wishes.

Instead of paying 100s and 1000s of rupees to some institute which 'trains' you in commodities trading read books written by famous commodities traders such as Jim Rogers.

alroyraj

To have basic knowledge of the various India specific commodities and the lot sizes etc, MCX or NSE have good material. It helps to build you knowledge. Alternatively, you can sit in a brokerage like Geojit for a week or so studying the price movement and how to monitor events and international cues. Of course it would be helpful if you could find a suitable knowledgeable and competent dealer to learn from.
Also in commodity trading since so many factors are there to be monitored it is better to select a suitable RM cum dealer to transact through. This is why people select branches no matter where they are located if they are convinced of the RM's competence.

Last edited:
To have basic knowledge of the various India specific commodities and the lot sizes etc, MCX or NSE have good material. It helps to build you knowledge. ALternatively, you can sit in abroekrage liek GEojit for a week or so studying the price movement and how to monitor events and international cues. Of course it would be helpful if you could find a suitable knowledgeable and competent dealer to learn from.
Also in commodity trading since so many factors are there to be monitored it is better to select a suitable RM cum dealer to transact through. This is why people select branches no matter where they are located if they are convinced of the RM's competence.
You are right ,, my india info RM sucks, doesnt know abcd of commodity, he makes non sense call all times ,confusing me n make me loss more.

can some suggest any ebooks ,sites, newspapers, blog, forums, tv channels which has followed n learnt for understand the basic of commodity...

please help

alroyraj

can some suggest any ebooks ,sites, newspapers, blog, forums, tv channels which has followed n learnt for understand the basic of commodity...

please help
Will constantly update all resources I can find.
Basically from newspapers Business Line Sunday edition focuses on educating the investors on various asset classes. Just yest a good article came in BL.
Some good sites are as follows:

http://www.nse-india.com/content/ncfm/sm_cmm.zip

I have cleared this test.
MCX has also launched a number of modules in commodities . If the material is good enough better to take the test.
I gave an excellent at of FAQs earlier in this post :

http://www.traderji.com/commodities/34703-introduce-beginners-commodities.html

In terms of TV news coverage and focus, I agree that the incumbent or existing players of CNBC and NDTV Profit do not give enough weightage to commodity as far as I have observed. But a new channel called ET Now had started a dedicated segment of commodities. But at this time it went from Free to air to paid so could not sample it. But something is better than nothing. No idea of the other like UTV Bloomberg or Zee Business or News X.
You hardly find much material on forums online. Traderji i the largest resource online. Basically Karvy Commtrade has an excellent resource filled website for learning the basics also the mcx site is good.
Since commodity contracts are country specific I doubt you will find any relevant resources online which will be useful.

Generally when information is less its best to turn to resources provided by your broker. Just because you're current broker doesnt provide does not mean that others dont provide.
The big players in commodities are Geojit, Karvy Commtrade, Sharekhan,JRG etc.
Each brokerage publishes an in house research magazine like Geojit which I regard as excellent.
Other like Sharekhan does give a lot of published material hard copies but only to their offline customers which are in depth. Sometimes it is better to start with such players irrespective of the brokerage because the learning curve gets reduced significantlly. Each broker has a set of competencies in the segment they deal with,this aspect never gets emphasized anywhere. They way to verify this by seeing how many warehouses they have for delivery etc. Geojit, Karvy , etc are the major players in commodities segment.

Last edited: