What were the worst trading mistakes that we commited from the list?

Worst mistakes that I commited were...

• Traded blindly without any homework or trading plans

Votes: 149 43.7%
  • Traded without Stop Loss or with too big Stop Losses (poor Risk Management).

Votes: 178 52.2%
  • Traded way too many trades in a day resulting net losses (poor Risk and Money Management).

Votes: 95 27.9%
  • Traded against the prevailing trend and then booked losses (poor Plan and Risk Management).

Votes: 127 37.2%
  • Traded with the trend but booked small profit and too early.

Votes: 129 37.8%
  • Traded at Market Price in less volume scrips resulting big losses.

Votes: 41 12.0%
  • Traded on speculations/rumour/news resulting big losses.

Votes: 53 15.5%
  • Traded within fear/greed barrier without risk/reward ratio.

Votes: 103 30.2%
  • Have commited all above and now seasoned trader.

Votes: 65 19.1%
  • None of above but some other.

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

manishchan

- Believed at those times that my assumption about the market and what little knowledge I had must be 100% right.

- Believed at those times that my little excel sheets signals can beat the market.

- Believed at those times that my standard deviation signal and the most simple charts given from my excel sheet are always right, because I was not able to do any chart analyzes with out those tools.

- Always valued the short side of the market too much and was not able to see the positive signals in the market. Result: Continues try of counter trend trading even in the best trending up moves.

Lost or did not make any money through this behavior many times in strong up market moves. Had to learn reading charts the right way and value them with out my excel sheet. Had to accept that my tendency is on the short side and had to learn to handle this problem in up trending markets.
I still struggle with this one quite frequently. :(

----------------------------------Deleted-----------------------------------------------

Last edited:

XRAY27

During 2007 when i was at the age of 26 purchased all sorts of trading system in the market ... the end result is a big hole to pocket......
then went on studing TA books and now the position is better

Lesson learnt by me

1.Don't buy trading system they are one of the biggest pits for trading

2. If the system is successful they won't sell for any amount.

3. Stick to your trading sytle...

Last edited:

sibu3168

I have some opinion and I found they occured most of the time. Initially these things also happened to me also.

A. Confused people

This group consists of retail clients, persons trading intraday but not sure about its nature.

1.Major mistake they commit is to turn a loosing intraday position into a positional trade or investment with a logic that the holding scrip is a good scrip or a bluechip scrip.

2. Unable to book loss or maintain stop loss with a view that SL always triggers.

3. Trying to INVEST in a market when it is at all time high and has high euphoria.

B. Technical Trader

This group consists of traders whose trading based on chart reading.

1. The major mistake they commit is they do not wait for a candle or bar to complete in their signal timeframe. So the real problem starts from there.
2. Not believing their system properly.

C. Jobbers/Extreme scalpers (I have seen only this group makes profit in the market although their % is small but in my view it is significant)

This group consists of tape readers, arbitragers etc.

1. Their real problem starts when they become slow at the key board or they become slightly emotional.
2. Any mechanical failure like system hangs, disconnectivity etc. also adversely affect their performance as their volume is very high and they trade on waferthin margin.

These are my real findings in the market which I have noticed in my 15 years career.

With best wishes

mark8tune

Every day I'm making mistake some time this sometime that I know how to win but don't how to loose and as for as I have started thinking if I want to make myself a professional Trader i must learn the art of loosing if any of you have any idea please be kind to tell me.

Regards

I see traders almost bearing themselves up for one mistake or the other. We need to realize the difference between mistakes and unavoidables.

Some things are not possible to be avoided. You get conditioned by a range bound see-saw market for two years and get the shocking of life with sensex at 25k in six months. What would you do ?

Its easy to see things after they happen but in thus business we need to balance our perspective for possibilities while only one is happening.

So a conditioned mind inevitably experiences fear as stocks go out of bounds. and sells stock only to see it rise further. This is not a mistake. If you take this as mistake, then in the future rangebound market you will get whipsawed. Then you will correct your mistake list as per the past mistakes. This cycle of mistake list update goes on.

Job oriented people learn mistakes based on past results. You shouldn't learn like that in stock market.

Why can't you position yourself be immune from markets uncertain behavior? That is the key thing to learn. Right stock, right timing are secondary matters which can be fascinating when done well.

1. not sticking to my trading plan
2. taking trades without home work (any stockwhich is 7-8 % up looks attractive for quick bucks and finally booking losses ) :annoyed:
3. excitement to take early trade...

in my initial days i subscribed to some tip provider and resulted in huge loss..:D

amandeep86

REVENGE TRADING ..............When i loose ,i loose badly .........This is what i m struggling at.............