What kind of knowledge do you consider for your self as the most valuable?

DanPickUp

Hi

What kind of knowledge do you consider the most valuable you ever got in your live?

What kind of knowledge would you protect very good before you even say some thing about it to who ever crosses your live?

Is it the knowledge:

1. Which was presented to you for free?

2. Is it the one you had to work day and night for it to get it?

3. Is it the one a friend of you gave it just like that to you?

4. Is it the one you consider as the basic to know for your next live?

5. Is there any knowledge to consider as the most valuable?

6. Is there any most valuable knowledge to even protect it and why do you think it is like that or it is not like that?

DanPickUp

sanjosedesi

Hi

What kind of knowledge do you consider the most valuable you ever got in your live?

What kind of knowledge would you protect very good before you even say some thing about it to who ever crosses your live?

Is it the knowledge:

6. Is there any most valuable knowledge to even protect it and why do you think it is like that or it is not like that?

DanPickUp
Dan, very intriguing questions ... note that I said intriguing not interesting ... which is also true, but more intriguing as I am trying to understand where you are going with these.

I am assuming it is a multiple choices are valid question ... there is no single answer which is right. Getting knowledge for free is good many a times as it opens your mind to new ideas ... and you can go and put in the hard work to validate / explore further. Having worked for the knowledge implies it is deeply imprinted or etched in your brain so when you need to use this again, you can call on it without a blink. The free part is somewhat subjective ... yes, there is a lot of good knowledge which can be had for free, and sometimes you need to pay to gain / learn. However, as we graduate from the schools and get into serious careers, many of the paid programs are just businesses to make money rather than imparting you much knowledge. So yes, free knowledge usually is of lower quality than paid knowledge, but not always !

I do not think there is any knowledge worth protecting ... and this goes outside of trading ... unless it leads to an embarrassing situation for someone close or a family member. It depends on what "knowledge" we are talking about. Going back to trading or career, I think knowledge is a simple thing and can be shared, but skill which uses this knowledge can not be shared, so many people who worry about sharing are worrying un-necessarily. I some times laugh at the people hiding such stuff. It might get into trouble ... and sorry for that ... let's take 2 trading strategies ... moving averages and astro. Moving averages is a technique which if many people master ... they will be bidding each others orders down and hence cause the market to behave differently as compared to if they had not shared this knowledge. However, astro ... if all the markets are going to do is based on how the stars and planets are aligned ... how is a million more people using the same model going to change anything ... if the planetary alignment says Nifty will move up, it should ... irrespective of however many people believe in and use that model. Just by clicking a button on our computer, we are not causing the moon to shift !! But each person has their own comfort level in terms of what to protect and what not to.

I am sure I have gone off tangentially ... please feel free to repurpose the queries if needed.

sanjosedesi

Another kind of knowledge you should protect is where you are contractually obligated to protect it. It might be a 1000 page contract or it might be a handshake, but as long as you agreed to it, you are obliged to. It does not work 100% in real life not because you want to violate any contracts, but sometimes you think it will do no harm (it was an innocent little talk) or you think the contract was wrong to start with (whistleblower issues).

gunsho

Hi

Is it the knowledge:

DanPickUp
IMHO, the more generic answer is, it depends on how well one has digested that knowledge/matter.

Rather than the way it came in, the knowledge which one has understood well is something that person will consider most valuable and share with others. If the person knew there are benefits of possessing the knowledge, it adds even more value. One which is valuable to me may not be valuable to others. Most likely it is subjective.

Again IMO, one can not protect any knowledge. If it is known to me, there is definitely another Mr. XYZ who also knows that. If it is about saying/sharing with others, again it depends on how well the knowledge is understood. If someone knew it well, definitely it is worth sharing. I may not talk about something which I have not understood well. Of course I might question a lot seeking answers ;)

DanPickUp

Dan, very intriguing questions ... note that I said intriguing not interesting ... which is also true, but more intriguing as I am trying to understand where you are going with these.

I am assuming it is a multiple choices are valid question ... there is no single answer which is right. Getting knowledge for free is good many a times as it opens your mind to new ideas ... and you can go and put in the hard work to validate / explore further. Having worked for the knowledge implies it is deeply imprinted or etched in your brain so when you need to use this again, you can call on it without a blink. The free part is somewhat subjective ... yes, there is a lot of good knowledge which can be had for free, and sometimes you need to pay to gain / learn. However, as we graduate from the schools and get into serious careers, many of the paid programs are just businesses to make money rather than imparting you much knowledge. So yes, free knowledge usually is of lower quality than paid knowledge, but not always !

I do not think there is any knowledge worth protecting ... and this goes outside of trading ... unless it leads to an embarrassing situation for someone close or a family member. It depends on what "knowledge" we are talking about. Going back to trading or career, I think knowledge is a simple thing and can be shared, but skill which uses this knowledge can not be shared, so many people who worry about sharing are worrying un-necessarily. I some times laugh at the people hiding such stuff. It might get into trouble ... and sorry for that ... let's take 2 trading strategies ... moving averages and astro. Moving averages is a technique which if many people master ... they will be bidding each others orders down and hence cause the market to behave differently as compared to if they had not shared this knowledge. However, astro ... if all the markets are going to do is based on how the stars and planets are aligned ... how is a million more people using the same model going to change anything ... if the planetary alignment says Nifty will move up, it should ... irrespective of however many people believe in and use that model. Just by clicking a button on our computer, we are not causing the moon to shift !! But each person has their own comfort level in terms of what to protect and what not to.

I am sure I have gone off tangentially ... please feel free to repurpose the queries if needed.
I would wonder what different people from this text would mark fat to say that is important. Do not understand that wrong, but giving such a high leveled text to different people, they see different things in it. As you say: Intriguing. :)

DanPickUp

IMHO, the more generic answer is, it depends on how well one has digested that knowledge/matter.

Rather than the way it came in, the knowledge which one has understood well is something that person will consider most valuable and share with others. If the person knew there are benefits of possessing the knowledge, it adds even more value. One which is valuable to me may not be valuable to others. Most likely it is subjective.

Again IMO, one can not protect any knowledge. If it is known to me, there is definitely another Mr. XYZ who also knows that. If it is about saying/sharing with others, again it depends on how well the knowledge is understood. If someone knew it well, definitely it is worth sharing. I may not talk about something which I have not understood well. Of course I might question a lot seeking answers ;)
I now make a provoking comment on that, so please do not get shocked about it. You know me now good enough to know my way of sometimes progressive posting.

What about that:

Every thing which is for free has no value when it has to come to the use of it under stress.

DanPickUp

gunsho

I now make a provoking comment on that, so please do not get shocked about it. You know me now good enough to know my way of sometimes progressive posting.
It is not at all provoking :-D. Or did I miss something you are implying?

Every thing which is for free has no value when it has to come to the use of it under stress.
Couldn't agree more. Free stuff depends on the audience/listener/seeker. Since the knowledge/topic is subjective, for someone who is not seeking/interested that area, free knowledge is like flowing water in a pipe with holes on both side.

There will be always very few, who tries to absorb/digest the gained information and turn that to knowledge. For them it is free or paid, they will gain the knowledge. Most of them, the payment is to make them committed.

Even if we take educational system and make it free of cost, not many will benefit. In reality, almost everyone will hate one or two subject. The student will never study that, if entire education system is free. When you make it paid, he will study, as there is no way to get out of the school unless he completes the same and every year he has to pay. There is always a set of people who don't believe in education system. But I am just talking about the major crowd.

Example might be bad, still I will put it here. Let us say I love BMW a lot and craze about it. If I get a BMW car for free, I will take it up and find ways to pay the expensive insurance or go through any problems/pains that it creates, because I enjoy the car. But for someone who just see that as a car, will be happy to accept it when it is free. Will feel bad when he pays the insurance next year. He can as well drive a low end, he just need a car. He will sell it if he has to change the bumper and insurance guys says they will cover only 50% :lol:. Is this what you are saying, during stress there is no value for free stuff?

Another personal example is, none of my family/friends (not even single one) have supported my trading interests. Please note, I am not blaming them. It is just that they are not exposed. They all says, I am just lucky that haven't lost my fortune in options trading. It is just matter of time, I will loose. Though I share with them what all I learn, they never followed. I know one of my cousin who attended a class, because it says, trading secrets are revealed there. After the class, so excited and he started trading, only to say it is gambling because he lost some money after a while.

IMO, if the guy seeks it, free/paid, the knowledge will be absorbed. If he doesn't need it, by making it paid, some will still absorb, but may not be for long time. IOW, it will be knowledge only when the person understands it. Otherwise it is just information. All my perception from my exposure :)

anuragmunjal

Free knowledge???

where in the world do u get free knowledge? knowledge is always paid..
teacher gets his salary frm the school/college/ instution, most of them wd also take tutions.
doctor..charges fr his knowledge, maybe double..if u approach him on a suday..
lawyer, engineers, architects all charge fr their knowledge..
it is only after the advent of internet that people have been exposed to the concept of 'free knowledge'..but then there is no check over the kind of knowledge being imparted...how useful is that knowledge??
if the recipient is smart enough to differentiate bet. the good frm bad, he probably does not need that 'knowledge' in the first place..just in case he is not able to differenciate,
may God help him..

regards

well said anurag..

the same thing can be applied to our education system and how its proceeding..
country doesnt just need graduates rather qualified and talented professionals..