What is the Annual Rate of return we can expect trading?

What is the reasonable Annual Rate of Return we can expect trading

• Total voters

suri112000

Friends,

I have been scratching my head all through............seeing posts which claim to have scored about 300% per annum.

I would like to have honest feed back so that I can test a system so as to expect atleast a medium rate of return.

Request all successful traders, seniors to give their feed back in this thread.

suri112000

I have a similar poll regarding nifty trading performance.

http://www.traderji.com/futures/918...ts-average-you-get-per-month-per-one-lot.html

This might be useful for you. Best wishes.
yaa.........i have seen it. Points wise poll is not helpful for me because some may trade nifty with bare minimum capital with negligible drawdowns and others may trade nifty with a much more capital to withstand deep drawdowns. Same number of points scored by different people will give different percentage of returns.

Thats why i would like to know Annual return percentage.

Further, some trade nifty, some banknifty, some futures, some equities, some options or combinations thereof.

If anybody who trading options is giving the poll, please mention that it is for options by making a post in this thread.

hi
The rate of return depends on
your chosen option or stock and its behavior and overall nifty index behaviour.
what if you chose a put option in an impending bull market?
what if nifty index moved up fast 100 points?
what if you dont really know your risk limit and dont control your risk?

If the market doesn,t move much,then no rate of return.

Even if the market mooved well but you lacked discipline to act right then also no return.
most traders wait till profit turns into loss.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rate of return
success in trading is a function of
your confidence and understanding of your methodology.
psychology (50% )and money management rules (40% )decide fate of returns.

The trading system has only 10% say in results.

Last edited:

suri112000

hi
The rate of return depends on
your chosen option or stock and its behavior and overall nifty index behaviour.
what if you chose a put option in an impending bull market?
what if nifty index moved up fast 100 points?
what if you dont really know your risk limit and dont control your risk?

If the market doesn,t move much,then no rate of return.

Even if the market mooved well but you lacked discipline to act right then also no return.
most traders wait till profit turns into loss.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rate of return
success in trading is a function of
your confidence and understanding of your methodology.
psychology (50% )and money management rules (40% )decide fate of returns.

The trading system has only 10% say in results.
OK.......all that taken into account. Finally it should result in some profit or loss. That is what I am asking.

What is the reasonable Annual rate of return we can expect from Trading?

Sorry........for not giving negative return in the poll.:D

The number 200 % and more was surely not choose n by accident after the Niftyoption thread. As in the thread from Niftyoptions over 200% is valued as right, people here we never seen before with out any reputation or very, very little tend now to vote in this thread that they are such super traders. Other members with reputation did not vote on those 200% level. Just a little analyzes I did on the names listed officially in the pool.

quinox

Wrong Question.

The question you should be asking yourself is - What is the "RISK ADJUSTED" return that I should be looking for.

Let me give you an example. Lets say 3 traders ( A, B, C) each make 100 points in nifty futures in a month. Now depending upon their capital each will have a different return percentage. Hence just knowing annualized return percentage will not help you. You need to know what kind of risk they are taking to get that kind of return.

You can search on google and read various trading articles on how to measure risk adjusted return. A general layman rule that i apply in my trading is -to achieve at least 3 to 4 times return of my worst draw down annually.

For example lets say my trading capital is Rs 100,000 and i trade 1 lot of nifty futures with this capital. Lets say by back testing for the last 2/3 years, i found that my worst drawdown ( peak to vally on equity curve) in a year has been 200 points i.e Rs 10,000. This is 10% of my trading capital. So I will try to achieve a minimum annual return of 30 to 40% on my capital. This is the minimum and anything above it is good. An experienced trader might set a higher return target. Hope this helps.

Wrong Question.

The question you should be asking yourself is - What is the "RISK ADJUSTED" return that I should be looking for.

Let me give you an example. Lets say 3 traders ( A, B, C) each make 100 points in nifty futures in a month. Now depending upon their capital each will have a different return percentage. Hence just knowing annualized return percentage will not help you. You need to know what kind of risk they are taking to get that kind of return.

You can search on google and read various trading articles on how to measure risk adjusted return. A general layman rule that i apply in my trading is -to achieve at least 3 to 4 times return of my worst draw down annually.

For example lets say my trading capital is Rs 100,000 and i trade 1 lot of nifty futures with this capital. Lets say by back testing for the last 2/3 years, i found that my worst drawdown ( peak to vally on equity curve) in a year has been 200 points i.e Rs 10,000. This is 10% of my trading capital. So I will try to achieve a minimum annual return of 30 to 40% on my capital. This is the minimum and anything above it is good. An experienced trader might set a higher return target. Hope this helps.
Very good :clapping:

Smart_trade