what decides the day's "Opening price"?

Friends, could any of you please explain to me on what factors decide the "Opening" price of the stock for a given day?

I do not assume that there can be a formula to calculate the opening price based on the previous day stats, but I would like to get any insight you may have in this.

Is there any order in which the off-exchange-hour orders are executed that can decide the day's opening price of a particular stock?

Thanks in advance.

The opening price is the first traded price of the day.

Thanks for that TATrader, but my question is this:

How is it decided as to what is the first order to be executed, and who decides it? Do they consider all the outstanding orders to decide which one needs to be executed first? For example, can someone manipulate the stock price by quoting a high price so that it will be the opening price for the day?

Traderji

Super Moderator
bhangima said:
Thanks for that TATrader, but my question is this:

How is it decided as to what is the first order to be executed, and who decides it? Do they consider all the outstanding orders to decide which one needs to be executed first? For example, can someone manipulate the stock price by quoting a high price so that it will be the opening price for the day?
Yes anyone can manipulate the opening price. That is one of the reasons we see some really wierd prices in thinly traded stocks. But after a while (when more traders start trading) things do get back to normal.

tony

TATrader --
Bang on target.
I would like to add that any IPO getting listed, you can see that initially it shoots up during opening price and then settles as more and more participants gets in the counter

Opening price is the price at which the 1st trade is executed irrespective of the volumes.... it may be based on the previous days closing price... the price days closing price is the weighted average of the price of the scrip during the last 30 mins of trade...

Sometimes , when there is 'circular trading' ( i.e A sells to B today, B sells back to A tomorrow at higher rate, and they carry this way for weeks till the common man gets attracted and starts buying ... and then I leave u to guess ..)

Oh I didnt complete that sentence ?! Yes I was saying when there is circular tarding, the opening price is pre fixed by the conmen ( the buyer and seller duo) ...

See attached chart (which looked like Circular trading then , but hard to believe given recent developments in the co's affairs) actually downloaded from ICICI Direct for a co with symbol PIOOVE

You can do yr own research into what the price is now

Welcome members' comments !

Attachments