Web Charting

clueless said:
Hi swingtrader,

maybe you can use a VPS server, VPS allow you much higher processor and other resource usage compared to shared hosting. Though i have no idea on your requirements, just my openion on it.

I had just started using icharts when it went down. Hope to see it back soon.

cls
Yes, I am thinking about using VPS eventually. But to start with I am moving to another provider with a shared setup but with whom I can easily move to a VPS with zero downtime. I will also be setting up the website at two different hosting providers and manage traffic using DNS redirection ("Managed DNS Service). So if one site goes down I can swing over to the other site.

The website should be up sometime this week. I am in the process of setting it up at the new hosting provider.

--SwingTrader

pkjha30

Hi swingtrader

First of all you must work out a revenue model for your site else traffic on your website will kep ther server down along with drowning other website ob the server and no ISP would like that to happen. It affects their business.

Once your revenue model is clear and breakeven period is worked out you might like to move to a dedicated server or to a server with required bandwidth allocation. it will be costly. Your website answers a crucial need of investor and trader and if you are able to maintain updated records it will be hugely popular. Your expertise may not come to your rescue but money will certainly.Venture capital funding may be one option.
Another thing users are likely to move elsewhere if they fine site down or slow very frequently. As a business rule you should try to keep your users with you.

pankaj

pkjha30 said:
Hi swingtrader

First of all you must work out a revenue model for your site else traffic on your website will kep ther server down along with drowning other website ob the server and no ISP would like that to happen. It affects their business.

Once your revenue model is clear and breakeven period is worked out you might like to move to a dedicated server or to a server with required bandwidth allocation. it will be costly. Your website answers a crucial need of investor and trader and if you are able to maintain updated records it will be hugely popular. Your expertise may not come to your rescue but money will certainly.Venture capital funding may be one option.
Another thing users are likely to move elsewhere if they fine site down or slow very frequently. As a business rule you should try to keep your users with you.

pankaj
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I agree with you completely. I am continously thinking about that. I am taking steps to slowly move to - first a semi-dedicated and then a dedicated server. I am thinking about the revenue model too but all this happened so suddenly and that too before the website was ready that I was taken a bit unaware.

At the moment my first priority is to get the site up and then plan and take steps to move to semi-dedicated setup. Once I decide on a revenue model I will take steps to move to a dedicated setup. But as you rightly said I have to do all this sooner than later, I cannot afford to lose users.

--SwingTrader

The iCharts website is up now​

There is still some data to be updated. Weekly charts will work from tomorrow. I am extremely sorry for this long interruption. I am still not very comfortable with the current setup, so I will be working hard in the next few days to make it more robust by adding redundant servers. My main priority in the near future will be to try and eliminate the down time. I will post regular updates on the website about this.

Many thanks to all users who have sent me supportive emails and suggestions. I will be implementing many of those suggestions.

--SwingTrader

Just want to post few updates.

BSE charts are now available on http://icharts.in. For BSE stocks the symbol code to be used is same as on BSE's website. You can, of course, use "Symbol Search" provided. The symbol code for BSE SENSEX is SENSEX.

NSE Breadth charts are also available as part of the regular charting. The symbols for the breadth charts are:

* $NSEADV - NSE Advances
* $NSEDEC - NSE Declines
* $NSETRIN - NSE ARMS INDEX (TRIN)
* $NSENH - NSE 52 Week HIGHS (% Stocks at 52 Week highs)
* $NSENL - NSE 52 Week LOWS (% Stocks at 52 Week Lows)
* $NSEMNH - NSE Monthly HIGHS (% Stocks at monthly highs)
* $NSEMNL - NSE Monthly LOWS (% Stocks at monthly lows)

Intraday Charts

I am currently working on intraday data (for NSE 100 stocks & NIFTY index only). The intraday data will be delayed by 5 mins. The intraday charts will also have intraday historical charting (last 10 days). The regular end-of-day charts will be updated with the intraday prices (for NSE 100 stocks & NIFTY). This is all in the works. I will post an update once this is available.

NOTE: All new functionality will be first available for testing on http://icharts.co.in (backup/testing website) and then implemented later on http://icharts.in once it starts to work properly.

Both the websites are now updated daily so if the main website goes down for some reason the backup website can be used.

Your suggestions/complaints/feedback are, as always, most welcome. Post these here or email me at support at icharts.in

--SwingTrader

pkjha30

Hi

Your website has really taken off. I have seen charts from your website being used for analysis and querries. It a wonderful initiative that you have. Are you using same symbols are NSE or BSE. Will your site be remain free of cost or based on membership .I hope your revenue model gives you impetus to continue this work. I would suggest one thing. If you can tie up with some payments gateway (check IRCTC web site for example of good pament gate way or ccavenue model) something easy and secure with balance in volume of traffic , number of membership and charge .
You have to plan for more than 10 fold capacity than what you may be thinking now or even planning. This is I am telling you from my visit to website.

Wish you all the best.

Pankaj:)

pkjha30

swingtrader said:
Just want to post few updates.

Both the websites are now updated daily so if the main website goes down for some reason the backup website can be used.

Your suggestions/complaints/feedback are, as always, most welcome. Post these here or email me at support at icharts.in

--SwingTrader
HI
I further suggest using redirecting and mirroring both website with load balancing

pankaj:)

pkjha30 said:
Hi

Your website has really taken off. I have seen charts from your website being used for analysis and querries. It a wonderful initiative that you have. Are you using same symbols are NSE or BSE. Will your site be remain free of cost or based on membership .I hope your revenue model gives you impetus to continue this work. I would suggest one thing. If you can tie up with some payments gateway (check IRCTC web site for example of good pament gate way or ccavenue model) something easy and secure with balance in volume of traffic , number of membership and charge .
You have to plan for more than 10 fold capacity than what you may be thinking now or even planning. This is I am telling you from my visit to website.

Wish you all the best.

Pankaj:)
Thanks Pankaj. Yes, the symbols I use are same as NSE/BSE, this is because I get data directly from their websites (respective bhavcopy files).

A part of the website will always remain free (basic charting / small chart only) but sooner or later I will have to start generating some revenue which I will do by adding premium features useful for traders & serious investors. Examples of such features are intraday charting, intraday & eod technical stock scans, heat maps, larger charts, special indicators, etc. Have lots of ideas...

Whether I get subscriptions or not I will continue running the site because it is my passion. For me this is not work, it is fun. If I get enough subscriptions then I will keep adding more serious features like near-realtime charting etc. Even providing 5-min delayed snapshot charting of NSE stocks will require Rs. 2 Lakhs per year (NSE's 5-Min snapshot data subscription charges) so I know I will need to move to a revenue model soon if I am to expand further.

Yes, I am thinking a lot about the infrastructure these days. After the website went down in April I moved the website to "Virtual Private Server" hosting with a identical backup server at a different location kept in sync. Once the subscriptions start coming in I will move to dedicated servers. Even currently for the two VPS servers I am shelling out $19 per server per month.

Anyway, but the basic idea initially was to provide quality charting for Indian traders/investors and I hope I am moving towards that goal.

--SwingTrader

pkjha30 said:
HI
I further suggest using redirecting and mirroring both website with load balancing

pankaj:)
Yes, I am working on that. I will be doing that in the near future. Currently, I am setting up programs to monitor the websites. If the main website goes down I get an email alert, then I point the site name to the backup server and it takes effect in few seconds. I will remove this manual intervention (and the delay associated with it) and make it automatic in the future.

I will worry about load balancing once I start getting more traffic. Currently the website is getting around 100K hits (approx 1.5 GB bandwidth) on average per month which is nothing.

--SwingTrader