USB based internet - for dummies.

We all must have seen the recent advertisements for MTS - Instant wi-fi for Rs. 499 - 5GB data etc.. So I visited their store today to enquire about it. The storefront was pasted full of the advertisements for this Rs. 499 product.

Turns out that it is so much hogwash. This 499 offer is for a recharge, after you buy their 3G+ Rs. 2000 pack/12GB/90 days.

Can the members check it at their end ?

Reliance JIO is going to be launched. It is expected to much superior Product and also less priced. If you can wait for some time till its launch.
Wasn't Jio expected to be launched in Feb ?? Anyway, better to wait till the new product is stabilized. Till then, take benefit of the members' experience with the other vendors :)

We all must have seen the recent advertisements for MTS - Instant wi-fi for Rs. 499 - 5GB data etc.. So I visited their store today to enquire about it. The storefront was pasted full of the advertisements for this Rs. 499 product.

Turns out that it is so much hogwash. This 499 offer is for a recharge, after you buy their 3G+ Rs. 2000 pack/12GB/90 days.

Can the members check it at their end ?
Hogwash !!!!!!
But why thinking so, the cost of the dongle will be extra always (even if you buy Tatphoton, you have to shell something around 1000 extra, for dongle) that can be in the range of 700 - 1000. I myself have paid 900 -1000 for dongle. IMO, this 3G+ by MTS is a good offer. The drawback, MTS charges roaming charges for other circles and service of MTS is limited to certain states, so check before you go for it.

MTS is providing very reasonable (so far the cheapest) and good service in voice and data.

Hogwash !!!!!!
But why thinking so, the cost of the dongle will be extra always (even if you buy Tatphoton, you have to shell something around 1000 extra, for dongle) that can be in the range of 700 - 1000. I myself have paid 900 -1000 for dongle. IMO, this 3G+ by MTS is a good offer. The drawback, MTS charges roaming charges for other circles and service of MTS is limited to certain states, so check before you go for it.

MTS is providing very reasonable (so far the cheapest) and good service in voice and data.
I can use it in Gujarat and Delhi, as I plan to...no roaming charges. Not decided on MTS as yet.

I can use it in Gujarat and Delhi, as I plan to...no roaming charges. Not decided on MTS as yet.
You are right. I was of the impression that they charge roaming just outside home state (the state from where one has got connection)

An excerpt from their website, clears my misconception, though the first para infers some confusion, if one does not read second para.

National Roaming
Now enjoy Data services in roaming locations like Mumbai, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana, Punjab, etc with speeds upto 3.1 Mbps. This means customers can now enjoy data service outside the MTS home states of will be treated as roaming. Speeds 3.1 Mbps is subject to service availability of partner operator.
MTS home circles: Delhi, Rajasthan, Kolkata, Rest of West Bengal, Gujarat, UP(W), Karnataka, Tamilnadu & Kerala. Services outside these circles will be treated as roaming circles.

BTW
When you are likely to visit Delhi and for how many days.

You need not reply, if you think these are personal things. :)

You need dongle only for Delhi visit or for your normal use also.

BTW
When you are likely to visit Delhi and for how many days.

You need not reply, if you think these are personal things. :)

You need dongle only for Delhi visit or for your normal use also.
I intend spending at least a week per month in Delhi during the coming months.

I will be using the dongle everywhere and expect it to be the normal internet. I plan on giving up the cable based broadband.