USB based internet - for dummies.

I have been using unlimited broadband since many years. Have no knowledge of wireless/USB connections etc.
This post of mine in another thread should give you an idea about what I need to know about USB based internet - everything :)

From what I know, suppose I buy a Reliance netconnect, they will basically give me a phone number which can be used only for internet through USB, right ?

Now suppose I take the dongle with me to another place (another telecom circle), will I be charged roaming charges as with a phone connection ?

This post of mine in another thread should give you an idea about what I need to know about USB based internet - everything :)

From what I know, suppose I buy a Reliance netconnect, they will basically give me a phone number which can be used only for internet through USB, right ?

Now suppose I take the dongle with me to another place (another telecom circle), will I be charged roaming charges as with a phone connection ?
Most of them charge roaming charges, if you use dongle in other telecom circle, but ASAIK Tata photon does not charge any roaming charge, because I used TataPhoton during my 10 days trip of Gujarat, last October

Taurus1

TP, there are no data roaming charges on the 999 plan. For other plans, ask them.

So, if I want to use a connection in another circle where I expect to spend a lot of time apart from my home town, say Delhi, can I buy another connection (maybe from the same vendor, maybe from another) ?? I don't have any id proof of another circle. Is that a problem ?

Not sure, but IMO you can take a new connection in other circle with an address of other circle. Why not get it confirmed at Surat itself
But best option in such case will be, to ask your friend/relative to get a new connection beforehand, as sometime it takes 1-2 days for verification and getting connected to a new connection

Suppose I have a cable based broadband connection to which I connect through a router and ethernet switch. Can I also use a USB dongle with it ? Like, as a backup when the broadband drops (that happens 2-3 times a day).

Steve

I have a tata photon dongle as backup. When on holidays in different states I use the same dongle, no roaming charges, only drawback is internet speed is slow, depending on the locality and area network availability.

I have a tata photon dongle as backup. When on holidays in different states I use the same dongle, no roaming charges, only drawback is internet speed is slow, depending on the locality and area network availability.
Which speed are you using ? 3.1mbps or 9.8 mbps ??

LivetoTrade

A USB dongle also uses SIM based technology.

Instead if you have a 3g mobile phone, you can connect to it when broadband fails - either on wifi or usb cable.

The speed on 3g mobile phone and usb dongle are similar.

A USB dongle also uses SIM based technology.

Instead if you have a 3g mobile phone, you can connect to it when broadband fails - either on wifi or usb cable.

The speed on 3g mobile phone and usb dongle are similar.
But can you run them simultaneously ?