USB based internet - for dummies.

Did that, but all the offers seem to have a validity period :( Suppose I don't use this connection for 6 months and suddenly there is a need for it, it won't be up, will it ?
Some operators want to recharge once in certain period, so that the dongle will remain active for activation after some silent period. That you can confirm from the operator or the shopowner

IMO, if you want to use dongle on a regular basis then you can go for TataPhoton with a recharge of 2501, in which you will get 25 GB for a period of 180 days and before 180 days any unused balance will be carried forward, when you recharge within the active period

TracerBullet

my current plan is to just tether from phone. i think even 2g speeds should be sufficient for Nest.

Vodafone has 50mb @ Rs 9 for 2g / 14 for 3g for 1 day. This will probably suffice as bare minimum backup with Nifty charts, although haven't used it yet.
If i measured correctly, Nifty_F1 + Index streaming on Nest + NestRTD for entire day took slightly less than 15mb. Not counting scrips download on login as we can do quick login.

All of these plans remind me of modem days ...

IMO, if you want to use dongle on a regular basis then you can go for TataPhoton with a recharge of 2501, in which you will get 25 GB for a period of 180 days and before 180 days any unused balance will be carried forward, when you recharge within the active period
and at the end of the 180 days, I have to again recharge for 2501 ??

If i measured correctly, Nifty_F1 + Index streaming on Nest + NestRTD for entire day took slightly less than 15mb. Not counting scrips download on login as we can do quick login.
I think that it's the websites with regular refresh that would take up a lot of bandwidth.. e.g. google news, economictimes charts, yahoo finance etc.

I will be using Sharekhan's TT, Nest trader and NOW. Maybe Pi also sometime in future.

TracerBullet

i dont know much about it, from their site -
"Photon Plus 15 GB Plan @ Rs 2501
15 GB internet data usage. Data Validity: 180 days
Roam free across India at no extra cost
This tariff voucher is valid as first recharge only. Regular market offers apply thereafter."

Is this what you meant? In normal recharges i only see monthly and no mention of carry forward

I think that it's the websites with regular refresh that would take up a lot of bandwidth.. e.g. google news, economictimes charts, yahoo finance etc.

I will be using Sharekhan's TT, Nest trader and NOW. Maybe Pi also sometime in future.
Yes, its only for sudden backup without browsing. Main line is mtnl which is generally reliable.
Otherwise, 25gb @ 2500 for six months = 4+gb per month with carry forward - this seems decent enough compared to others for basic regular browsing without heavy downloads. I didnt find this plan on site though.

Make sure whatever backup you use does not go down when there is no power.

Last edited:
i dont know much about it, from their site -
"Photon Plus 15 GB Plan @ Rs 2501
15 GB internet data usage. Data Validity: 180 days
Roam free across India at no extra cost
This tariff voucher is valid as first recharge only. Regular market offers apply thereafter."

Is this what you meant? In normal recharges i only see monthly and no mention of carry forward
I was using TataPhoton previously and I was getting the benefit of balance carrying forward, when I used to recharge on 179th or 180th day.

By the way in my circle I was getting 25 GB and not 15 GB
May be they are having different plans for TataPhoton and Tataphoton +

VJAY

am using dongle (huawei) with idea sim with 2g (2gb) prepaid 257 plan ...i used it in kerala /andhra/maharashtra without any extra roaming charge....it sufficent for my terminaland trading activeity...:)

Purushotham

am using dongle (huawei) with idea sim with 2g (2gb) prepaid 257 plan ...i used it in kerala /andhra/maharashtra without any extra roaming charge....it sufficent for my terminaland trading activeity...:)
Is 2g speed enough????
Which terminal you are using NOW, NEST, Sharekhan.....