USB based internet - for dummies.

LivetoTrade

But can you run them simultaneously ?
You mean the phone and wifi?

Yes, but sometimes the internet drops when there is a call.

In addition to my broadband, I use 3g on phone, and get upto 4mbps on it.

You mean the phone and wifi?

Yes, but sometimes the internet drops when there is a call.
Fine fine.. so if I use the dongle only for internet (no phone), then it will provide a great backup, won't it ? Like a UPS for internet.

Similarly, if I have two different dongles, say Reliance and Tata photon, can I use them simultaneously ?

LivetoTrade

Yes it is a good backup.

A usb dongle is like a usb stick with a sim inserted into it.

Reliance/Tata primarily use the CDMA technology.

You can also buy a GSM sim from your local operator Airtel/Tata/Idea/Vodafone, etc, and insert it into a dongle.

The dongles also have their specifications on speed.

You can use 2 separate dongles simultaneously - on different computers.

If for the same computer, you would need to disconnect one and use the other connection.

You can use 2 separate dongles simultaneously - on different computers.

If for the same computer, you would need to disconnect one and use the other connection.
Ok. I can only use one dongle at a time. Maybe there is something in the computer's hardware which allows only one USB modem at a time. Got it, Thanks.

A usb dongle is like a usb stick with a sim inserted into it.

Reliance/Tata primarily use the CDMA technology.

You can also buy a GSM sim from your local operator Airtel/Tata/Idea/Vodafone, etc, and insert it into a dongle.
That's another thing which I'm illiterate about.

I am not sure what is CDMA, GSM, GPRS etc..etc.. I am using internet only on the PC, not on my phone.

What difference does it make to the end user ?

LivetoTrade

That's another thing which I'm illiterate about.

I am not sure what is CDMA, GSM, GPRS etc..etc.. I am using internet only on the PC, not on my phone.

What difference does it make to the end user ?
I too am not too technically sound.
My comments+observations as an end-user :

a) CDMA/ GSM are technology names.
b) GPRS/Edge/3G/4G LTE denote the bits/kilobits at which internet is provided to you.

c) Generally 3G/4G provide reliable speed/internet connections.

But these USB dongles are quite expensive when compared to the cable broadbands.

USB dongles maybe useful for a person who is on-the-go, but if it is for a trader working out of a single office/ home-office, it would be cheaper to buy another cable broadband for a back-up :)

The 3.1, and a prepaid plan so I charge as & when required.
Oh wow !! charge as and when required !!! That's exactly what I had in mind.

Bro, I have Tata Photon site open, but I can't find any such scheme. Everything seems to have a fixed data usage plan and validity date. Can you please tell me which scheme it is ?

LivetoTrade

Oh wow !! charge as and when required !!! That's exactly what I had in mind.

Bro, I have Tata Photon site open, but I can't find any such scheme. Everything seems to have a fixed data usage plan and validity date. Can you please tell me which scheme it is ?
Click on "Prepay" option and select your circle.

Click on "Prepay" option and select your circle.
Did that, but all the offers seem to have a validity period :( Suppose I don't use this connection for 6 months and suddenly there is a need for it, it won't be up, will it ?

LivetoTrade

Did that, but all the offers seem to have a validity period :( Suppose I don't use this connection for 6 months and suddenly there is a need for it, it won't be up, will it ?
As per TRAI regulations, even if it is a prepaid, for the account to be "active" there has to be a mandatory re-charge within every 90 days - else the connection becomes in-active.

I think the basic amount is INR 20/- for every 90 days.