UR software and hardware Problems

I invite here all the geeks and the Techies to solve the problems related to the computers of the fellow boarders. I invite Murthy sir, Cool, Satya Siva and all. Since our jobs are all revolving around Computers so its very important we have a thread here. Fellas pls Cooperate.

I begin with my own Problem
I had to format one partition of my HDD almost 3 times in the past 1 month, a friend told me frequent formating might lead to Hard didk crash? Is it true?

First of all thanks for including my name along with Cool, Satya & murthymsr :eek: :D

I am not qualified to answer your query, but i will give a try. This answer i got by googling... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060608041345AAM1omr

Frequent formatting of hard disk---good or detrimental?
Of course, the more you use a device with mechanical parts, the quicker it will wear out and start causing problems. However, from a practical standpoint, it really won't make that much difference. On the positive side, by reformatting your hard disk and then reinstalling your operating system and applications, you will be making your overall operating environment more stable and probably faster. As you surf the web, install and uninstall appications, etc., there is a lot of "junk" that accumulates on your system that is not removed by even the best utilities. Re-freshing your environment by a format and re-install, in essence, gives you a fresh start and is a good thing to do periodically, especially if you keep your system for many years like most of us.
BTW, thanks for your Gap theory.

Regards
Siva

You can clean the junk deleted application, by defragmenting.

Do defragmentation atleast once in 6 months, its makes your hard disk more responsive and it will take less head reads..

formating and installing every now and then is not recommended. It is all a hassel to get the required programmes running again.

Satya

murthymsr

I begin with my own Problem
I had to format one partition of my HDD almost 3 times in the past 1 month, a friend told me frequent formating might lead to Hard didk crash? Is it true?
siva's post basically covers all that one need to know on this subject.
however, just a few lines more...

formatting the partition 3 times in a month is too frequent, not only for the damage to hard disk, but also for the possible loss of data, time and peace of mind. needs to go into reasons and avoid them.

with the rapid developments in hardware & software, any hardware becomes obsolete by capacity and speed in a period of 2 years.

reformatting the hard disk may marginally damage the hard disk but will surely help improve the speed of running of the files.

if the hard disk is NOT damaged within about 2 to 4 years, probably you are living with an inefficient file system for a period longer than required. a damaged hard disk is an oppurtunity to upgrade and may be taken as a positive news.

if you regularly install & run different software for some days and uninstall like me, you need to regulay run scan disk, defragment the file system and clean the registry. at regular intervals of about 6 months, reformat the hard disk partition. storing all data and installing all data intensive software on a different partition will make the job of formatting and reloading the OS easier.

MurthyMSR

columbus

Whenever I open NSE site ,my browser closes down?
Why this is happening ?What is the remedy?
Previously it was not so previously.

Last edited: