Upstox Market DataFeed reliability. Can Anyone please comment on this?

the canal/stream as you said... i was wondering where do this people tap the feed from? and if they offer for 500/month then what's the price at the source?

you said it rightly...... quality is concern

CougarTrader

the canal/stream as you said... i was wondering where do this people tap the feed from?
:D
They take a subscription from one of the Exchange Authorized Data vendor, then, either by using a Cloud server or a server on-rent or their own server, transmit and resell the same data to their ignorant clients. Evidently, there will be delay and inaccuracy in such data transmission, as the data goes through many filters.

There are many parasites also - well designated decision-makers or technicians who are employed at an Authorized Data vendor company - in the hindsight open up their own firm (so-called) and start reselling the data using the parent companies IP, infrastructure, etc...

We all are a part of a very corrupt culture (as of 2018 India's CPI rank is 78). And our markets is a place where corruptions are legalized for and by the powerful. The powerless retail is just a helpless observer in these matters!
and if they offer for 500/month then what's the price at the source?
Generally, for these datafeed companies the initial investment remains very low - most of their expenditure goes towards a decent website and to facilitate a payment gateway! Then whatever comes-in, is net profit.... That's how, they can afford to provide data at Rs.500/- a month.

The message is clear for the Retail:
1. If possible, buy Mutual-Funds only such that using our money, they can do whatever they want to;
2. DO NOT DAY-TRADE! Leave it to the operators or the big-boys;
3. Otherwise, invest on Daily, Weekly, Monthly Charts using free NSE EOD Bhavcopy or whatever (who cares!);
4. Or else, forget the markets and die in a cubicle of an office for the rest of your life (worse! stay unemployed).

Last edited:
I do agree in principle to @CougarTrader, how ever as a small time trader who uses 5/15 min tf, I find the data feed by Vbiz.in to be mostly reliable only in comparison to amifeeds.in, amifeeder.in or valuert.net. There are times when the feed can be down but that downtime is very negligible and usually corrected through tech support. I tried a bunch of these feed vendors over a period of 6 months and settled on vbiz.in for the last 3 months without major hiccups. That's just my personal opinion and I suggest that you do your due diligence before choosing a vendor.

BTW, I do plan to switch to GDFL once I have scaled up my trading capital to afford it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

CougarTrader

BTW, I do plan to switch to GDFL once I have scaled up my trading capital to afford it.
Don't do that! That's pointless... You would be paying huge subscription fee every month to the liars. Even all other competitors of GDFL does the same! Basically, you get the same dish to whichever restaurant you go to in the same street, just the name of the restaurant and the fees differ.

I know, it will be kind of a shocker to you. But that's the realty. All these authorized data-feed companies provide 1-Sec snapshot data which they incorrectly promote as Tick-data. Worse, on highly liquid scrips because of server-side filters and transmission delays, very likely this 1-sec might easily become >4-5 Sec snapshots. They all are very far from Tick-by-tick data. Read this https://algoji.com/best-quality-real-time-data/. So, no matter how much hefty fee you pay to whoever, you will always receive a sub-set of the real data never the actual.

However on the other side, remember that the Big firms like HDFC, Kotak, LIC, big-shot Brokers all have set-up their own prop desk with actual Tick-By-Tick data directly from the Exchange. And with these slack-setups can Retail really compete with these Big Players on an Intraday basis? Consistently not possible everyday, because by the time you decide to take a positon, and place your order, market makers have already exited or taking the opposite side of your order, it's not your fault - you can never see what these Big Players are seeing (correct Tick-by-Tick Order Flow). Is there hope in future! Bluntly NO! Not for the Retail.... Because that's how things are planned to begin with starting from the Exchange to your Broker's Sales Rep.

Every market-related service provider (be it Broker or Data vendor) as of today in India, wants to spread "Mass-delusion" in the name of their Products. They want to fool us for their "User Experience" and enhance their "Engagement Metrics" only. That is what they have learned from their MBAs and just implementing the same - suck a Client's money, kick his butt out when "Full Utilisation of Resources" are exhausted, get ready for new meat..... That's the collective motto now!

On top of all this, the snapshot data that you will receive after bearing those hefty fees each month, the 99.9 % uptime is never guaranteed. What I mean is that there will be day(s) in a month when glitches will happen. And you will only hear a "pretentious sorry" and "excuse".

TimeFrame is not the question here, if the granular data received is not correct, then, how do you expect the data to be correct as you scale-up. Paying so much high fees to these data-monkeys become worthless. After these years, I am forced to believe that, Intraday trading is a fallacy for our markets. There is an Everest-like obstacle stacked against you at every small step that you take.