UPI - Unified Payment Interface - Experiences, opinions, advice etc.

Please post your experiences with the UPI. Looks like it's going to be the next big thing and everyone will be using it to some extent. I don't have a smartphone so will welcome any experiences with UPI using smartphone.

I just saw an ad on TV saying that you can use UPI even if your phone does not have internet; and decided to give it a try.

1. Dialled *99#.
  2. Got a message asking me to input 3 characters to identify the bank name.
  3. Replied with "UBI".
  4. It sent back another SMS giving out a menu of services (1. Balance check, 2. make payment etc..etc..).
  5. Replied with 1 (balance check). Got a reply saying "Phone number is not registered". Surprised, because my phone no. is registered in the bank. Will check with the bank about it.
  6. Tried again using "CBI" (central bank).
  7. Got a message saying "External service is down".

Ok. First time. The application recognizes the bank name, has some issues further on. Will improve in due time, just as with the railway enquiries message.

Please post your experiences.

travi

A couple of days ago I'd posted (I think in DT Lounge): was registering/creating the VPA.
I haven't used USSD but, but via the app, I did thru hdfc and icici bank apps,
the experience was very smooth.

Actually, you should hurry, then u can get a VPA(Virtual private address) of your choice.
Preferably 2 digits :D
like TP@icici

vijkris

Learner and Follower
Please post your experiences with the UPI. Looks like it's going to be the next big thing and everyone will be using it to some extent. I don't have a smartphone so will welcome any experiences with UPI using smartphone.

I just saw an ad on TV saying that you can use UPI even if your phone does not have internet; and decided to give it a try.

1. Dialled *99#.
  2. Got a message asking me to input 3 characters to identify the bank name.
  3. Replied with "UBI".
  4. It sent back another SMS giving out a menu of services (1. Balance check, 2. make payment etc..etc..).
  5. Replied with 1 (balance check). Got a reply saying "Phone number is not registered". Surprised, because my phone no. is registered in the bank. Will check with the bank about it.
  6. Tried again using "CBI" (central bank).
  7. Got a message saying "External service is down".

Ok. First time. The application recognizes the bank name, has some issues further on. Will improve in due time, just as with the railway enquiries message.

Please post your experiences.
Co incidentally today morning I also saw the ad, and tried using it.
I typed "IDBI"
voila, i got the same options which u mentioned.
Then typed 2 and got the mini statement successfully. :clap:

Then typed ICICI, got the reply and good response.

So it means your number must be registered with bank, then it will work.

travi

Co incidentally today morning I also saw the ad, and tried using it.
I typed "IDBI"
voila, i got the same options which u mentioned.
Then typed 2 and got the mini statement successfully. :clap:

Then typed ICICI, got the reply and good response.

So it means your number must be registered with bank, then it will work.
They still give you option of using ifsc, mmid and VPA.
The VPA one is really nice, one u key in somebodys VPA, it'll fetch the name and you can confirm that trx is correct.

vijkris

Learner and Follower
They still give you option of using ifsc, mmid and VPA.
The VPA one is really nice, one u key in somebodys VPA, it'll fetch the name and you can confirm that trx is correct.
So that means if you post your VPA here, eg: tp@UBI then i can send money to you by just typing tp@UBI ????
:confused: