Udayan Mukherjee's Market View...

linkon7

Udayan is an economist by training having obtained his B.A in Economics from Presidency College, Kolkata and an MA in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.

He began his career with UTV where he worked for 4 years, before joining CNBC Asia as Special Markets Correspondent. At CNBC India he is the Managing Editor and anchors live market shows like Bazaar and other daily and weekly shows like India Market Wrap, Markets Today, Taking Stock, Markets Next Week

This thread is dedicated to his view's on the market...

linkon7

Questions will now be raised if Nifty can hold 5400...

It was not a good day for the market. It looked around 2 o'clock when Europe started recovering after a weak start that the Nifty might actually be able to claw back to 5500, but there was late selling. The Dow futures slipped in while we were closing trade and we saw the Nifty lose 30-40 points quite quickly after 3 o'clock which dragged it down closer to that 5460 mark. So a couple of important technical support levels which traders were clinging on to around 5480-5470, those got taken out today on a closing basis which is not great news.

Volumes were very high, around Rs 160,000 crore. That you would expect one day before expiry and the market breadth was quite bad. The usual suspects led the fall. Right upfront the commodity names and so all of the metal stocks like Tata Steel, SAIL and Hindalco were down and down sharply. Cairn also fell today once the Oil Minister confirmed that there would be no counter offer from the Oil PSUs, thats not on the radar.

Even some of the real estate names, typical high beta, Unitech and DLF both were down today. JP Associates had a bad fall and a couple of floaters like Hero Honda came off today, Cipla on the day of its AGM did not have a very good performance either. Idea was the only stock which showed some strength in the largecap index today.

Outside the index the market breadth was quite negative, more than three declining stocks for every advancing stock. It was only Prakash Steelage, today's listing which held out really smartly. So that sowed almost 70% above its issue price on some 12 times the total float of the company. So one of those really unusual kind of performances on day one perhaps led by HNI activity.

That aside not too many winners. Midcap Pharmaceutical, some of them, some pockets did well so names like Surya Pharma, FDC, InSwift were some of the names which were up today and other winners include Raymond, Nalco where there was bonus in split news and Patni which had a good run today.

On the way down some of the recent winners like Jindal Photo Films corrected, Lakshmi Vilas Bank too. IRB Infra had a fall and as did some of the other infra names like Hindustan Construction and Nagarjuna Construction and HDIL in Real Estate looked a little weak today.

But unremarkable session really for midcaps, unimpressive rather and for the largecaps it was a day of weakness and questions will now be raised whether the Nifty can hold on to those support levels of close to 5400 or is it headed further down.

Source : CNBC-TV18

linkon7

The benchmark Nifty closed flat with a positive bias on expiry day for the month of August 2010. The index, which has been rangebound since last month itself, when it was trading in 5350-5450 range, has now moved up to the 5450-5550 range.

The Sensex closed at 18,226.35, up 46.71 points and the Nifty rose 15.55 points to 5,477.90, after witnessing a range of 5455-5485 on expiry day. Both benchmarks gained 1.3% in the August series.

It was an uneventful day for the market. Today the market just got on with the business of rolling over to the next series. I don’t think it provided any kind of clue to what lies ahead in the September series. So far rangebound, just settling around that 5500 level, no great levels were violated today. Now we will figure out what global markets have on their minds over the next few days and then the cues for the September series will be established. But for today it was just a very ordinary session. It capped off what has been a fairly uneventful kind of a series with the Nifty putting on just about 1%.

saivenkat

1 ) ""Friday is going to bring a meaningful downward revision to GDP...Does the average person in the market know that? I don't know," said Dan Greenhaus," - Soure from CNBC.

2)
"The problem the Fed has is their forecast hasn't changed very much, but the probability of a downside event has gone up, and they don't think there's much probability of an upside surprise.
Will this trigger A DOWN SLIDE in Dow, as it awaits for a reason to SLIDE, and this is IMO.

Regards
Saivenkat:)

linkon7

End of Friday's trading :

Indian ADRs ended higher yesterday. In the telecom pack, Tata Comm was up 3.87% at $14.5 and MTNL was up 0.75% at $2.68. In the banking space, ICICI Bank was up 0.36% at $41.54 and HDFC Bank was up 1.76% at $162.47.

In the IT space, Wipro was up 4.14% at $13.08, Satyam was unchanged at $4.5, while Infosys was down 0.48% at $58.01 and Patni was down 2.74% at $19.91.

In the other space, Dr Reddys was up 1.24% at $28.62, Sterlite was up 2.34% at $13.13 and Tata Motors was up 2.32% at $22.08.

linkon7

End of Week analysis...

DLF ended down nearly 3-4% and added nearly 20 lakh shares in open interest. Great Offshore ended down nearly 6% and added nearly 8.5 lakh shares in open interest, reports CNBC-TV18’s Research Analyst Varinder Bansal.

The turnover was high, considering it was the first day of the new series. As we have been telling you, the high stock futures open interest was not going very well with the market. We have seen correction of nearly 120-130 points from highs of over 5,500 on Nifty. Today also a crack of nearly 1.5% was seen on the Nifty front.

We saw fresh positions building up, considering we started with a premium of nearly 6 to 7 points and ended in the red, around 4 to 5 points, addition of nearly 31 lakh shares, which is nearly 10% build-up on the Nifty open interest.

The put-call ratio (PCR) was trading around 1.45 and we saw that pecking up in the last one hour of trade. Also, important thing was the turnover, Rs 12000 crore done on the Nifty front, the total was nearly Rs 1 lakh crore, F&O was nearly Rs 90,000 crores.

Stock Specific Action:

Ispat was one stock, which was flying high today, nearly 77 lakh shares being added. But you saw some unwinding happening on the stock because at one point of time it added over one crore shares and the stock was up by nearly 7%, but at the end it ended up by nearly 4%.

DLF, we saw a build-up of nearly 20 lakh shares and the stock was down by nearly 3% - 4%.

GMR Infra saw some build-up happening on the short side, addition of nearly 25 lakh shares and the stock was down by nearly 3%.

IFCI was another stock, which saw short build-up happening in, one of the trading favorite stock, addition of nearly 22 lakh shares and was down by nearly 3%.

Great Offshore was weak since morning after the block deal happened. So, the stock ended down nearly 6% and added nearly 8.5 lakh shares.

linkon7

The benchmark Sensex closed below the important psychological level of 18,000 for the first time since July 30, 2010. The index shed more than 200 points in the second half of trade, dragged by shares of financial, technology, realty, auto, capital goods and power companies.

The 30-share BSE Sensex closed at 17,998.41, down 227.94 points or 1.25% and the 50-share NSE Nifty fell 69.20 points or 1.26% to settle at 5,408.70, after witnessing an intraday low of 5,391.95. For the week, indices lost 2.2% each.

Mitesh Thacker of miteshthacker.com, who had been watching 5,450-5,455 very closely, says, “Since the markets bottomed out in the last week of May and started a rally from 4,900, every correction on the Nifty has failed to close below 21-day exponential average."

"We have had three-four corrective movements where the Nifty has fallen about 100 points from the top, but every time it’s managed to close above that and then has made a new high. The Nifty has closed below that level. This is the first sign of proper weakness and a corrective kind of movement coming into the Nifty. Probably, the one important level, which we saw couple of weeks back was on the downside, 5,360- 5,350. So maybe we are heading towards that and if you break that may be even lower.”

Dipan Mehta, Member of the BSE and NSE also feels that the market is in a correction mode. “But this is more like a normal technical kind of correction. I don’t expect that is going to add up to anything significant. I think that maybe this month we could see the losses deepening as compared to what we have seen over the past two-three trading sessions.”

Q: The start to the September series has been on a nervous note and even the data, which is coming out of the developed markets, looks a little bit sluggish. What's the call on the markets? Are we in for a correction?

A: We are in the correction actually. I think that maybe this month we could see the losses kind of deepen as compared to what we have seen over the past two-three trading sessions. But this is more like a normal technical kind of a correction. I don’t expect that is going to add up to anything significant. In fact we are getting more and more convinced that this outperformance, which we have seen over the past few months, will continue well into the rest of the year and next year as well.

Although there are lot of comparisons between this outperformance and what we witnessed in 2007, but there are two major differences which are being ignored. One of course is that in 2007, that is October 2007 to perhaps January 2008, we had rising oil prices and foreign institutional investor (FII) selling whereas this time around the outperformance on the back of heavy FII buying. The fiscal picture and the economic picture for the government is steadily improving because of lower commodity prices. So, I think that over the past few months the long-term scenario for India, Indian economy, Indian equities, corporate India has improved significantly. That kind of gives us the conviction that even going forward the markets will continue to rally vis--vis the other global markets, but I think this month maybe a bit dicey.

Q: You keep an eye out on market internals as well. Is it a heavy market or an overleveraged market? Is that what you think will lead to a bit of a correction or will it remain the global frontier?

A: I think what will cost the correction perhaps over the next few trading session is negative FII flows. The market internals are okay, it’s not that they are heavily leveraged or under leveraged, they are just about normal. What one needs to keep in mind is that these days a lot of the trading activity in the positions have got shifted to the options market and kind of trying to understand what the options market is saying is bit dicey and bit difficult to gauge, unlike the futures market where we looked at cost of carry and absolute open interest positions and could have arrive at some conclusion whether the market was over leveraged or not. The same kind of studies are not possible in the options market. But my sense is that given that the implied walls are at extremely low levels, as also the fact that a lot of proprietary books of the brokers are now being deployed in what is called as delta arbitrage or delta trading, my sense is that I think that the futures and options market is not that leveraged. It is just about average levels and the positions over there are not going to cause a trigger for an upside or a downside.

I think the key number to watch out for, which we watch every single day of course, is the FII flows in the cash market. Also do keep in mind that again we are seeing pickup in qualified institutional placement (QIP) and initial public offering (IPO) and fresh issuances. So, some of the FII flows, which normally would have got divert to the secondary market, will find themselves into the primary markets. So, if getting into a bit of a tricky situation for the immediate short-term and the kind of excellent run, which we have had over the past two months, where FII flows just went into the secondary market, that picture seems to be changing. But as I said I think its just a minor blip. I think that if FIIs were selling and the markets were to see a correction of 8%-10%, I am quite optimistic that high net worth individual (HNI), retail money, domestic mutual funds, insurance companies will certainly step in at lower levels, given that they had been the largest suppliers of stock over the past two months for all the FII buying, which has taken place.

Q: You keep an eye on these pharmaceutical names, any thing that’s still worth a look or a buy?

A: I think investors are best off with the three large pharma companies as Ranbaxy, Dr Reddy’s, maybe Cipla, Lupin also could qualify for that. The business models are far superior than some of the other smaller sized pharma companies. I think that the generic market opportunity is now reaching its absolute take off stage. Over the next 12 to 24 months, we will see a fantastic growth in profits of the large pharma companies, which were operating in the US markets. That assuming of course that Ranbaxy is able to get its USFDA approval in place, so that they can start exporting to the very key economy.

Having said that, I think that this entire Piramal deal has brought in renewed interest in the entire pharma sector and the kind of valuation which it was done, I think that it’s not difficult to understand why the sentiment for the a whole host of mid size oharma companies have improved and on and off we do hear rumors of a particular company up for sale or doing some deal or some strategic kind of a tie up. I think that will take this in the pharma industry. But for the time being I think we are seeing this for the midcap pharma companies getting a bit on the overvalued zone, considering the kind of business model which they have. But largecap pharma, I think will continue to find favor with the institutional investors and they could prove to be outperformers or even perhaps get leadership positions over the next 6 to 12 months or so.

Q: The big bull of the last series was the entire oil marketing companies. You have BPCL up 20%, HPCL up about 25%. Do you think they can generate more returns from here on because the buzz is getting louder for deregulation with lower crude prices?

A: See we are very positive on the entire oil marketing space. But as things stand and it could change of course, as things stand the deregulation is only in letter and not in spirit. We are seeing still lot of covert interference from the government in the pricing of oil products and oil marketing company executives are under pressure not to raise any product prices and they are not given full freedom to operate in the way they would like to. Maybe it’s a transitionary phase and maybe six-eight months, 12 months down the line hopefully if oil prices remain stable to decline then more autonomy maybe passed on to the oil marketing companies.

One thing is certain that if these oil marketing companies have full autonomy then the kind of profits which they can generate and the revenues which they can, rather return on investment which they can generate would be quite fantastic and these stock prices could double or triple from these levels. Intrinsically, these are companies which have got very high entry barriers. The business per se has very high entry barriers and the kind of network and distribution which has been put up is impossible to replicate. So, they would be in a position then to extract the full benefit of all the hard work they have done over the past 40-50 years setting up a distribution network. Those returns will start coming in if more autonomy is given.

But if the government continues to intervene and they are not able to increase end product prices the way they would like to, I think the run, which we have seen up till now, is more or less done with and one should not then kind of expect a fantastic growth in bottom line. Of course one time growth will come because of the adjustments which have taken place in diesel, kerosene, the petrol prices. That one time adjustment will take place in the current fiscal, but then going forward I don’t think that they will view incrementally grow their profits. Do keep in mind that on the whole the volume growth is not that spectacular in the entire oil industry whether it is refining or marketing. So, that’s not going to be a major kicker for profit growth. I think it’s more to do with margin growth for the oil marketing companies as and when that takes place. That will happen only when there are more autonomy and more independence.