TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software)

DSM

We are living in a digital age. Who does not own a computer, laptop, tablet or a mobile? (Devices - Routers, printers etc) None!!! :)

Everyday, technology is moving fast – and much faster than we can hope to keep pace. Many times we come across vexing problems :( which frustrate us :annoyed: to no end, but in the hands of experts :!, has a quick solution. There are many tech experts on the forum :!, or people who have gone thru problems - which they can now help to guide others. So the rationale for the thread…..

As far as Tech is concerned, I will be among those members with possibly very little knowledge. :eek: So my contribution will be limited. But request gadget gurus :sos::cool: to help out…..

Also, we can use this thread to update on all matters of evolving technology. So do contribute your stories, experiences, tips.... :cheers:

Thanks in advance….. :thanx:

DSM

Re: TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software

Am facing the issue of my Galaxy Grand Quattrao Android phone getting frequently disconnected..... My router is o.k, as the laptop is connected to the internet. Looking for solutions, I found many on the net (As mentioned - Know very little of tech)

So posting the best of solutions - which I have to try out on my mobile....

http://www.connectify.me/blog/ask-support-android-disconnect/

If your Android device constantly disconnects from Connectify Hotspot there are a few easy ways to troubleshoot the issue. Usually, when you’re having problems with a device continually disconnecting it’s an issue with your wireless drivers, but that not always the case. If updating your wireless drivers didn’t help the situation, then try checking the settings on your phone.

Most newer Android phones and tablets will attempt to test the Internet connection when connecting to your Hotspot. Sometimes, however, they may incorrectly detect a poor Internet connection when the connection is perfectly fine. You can disable this feature in your Android device by looking under the Advanced Wi-Fi settings for the option that allows the Android device to automatically switch away from a wireless network if it thinks the network is bad. There are lots of different names for that option on different versions of Android, so try looking for something along the lines of:

• Avoid Poor Connections
• Auto Network Switch
• Smart Network Switch

Once you find that option, simply disable it by switching it OFF. With your Android phone no longer misidentifying the quality of your Connectify Hotspot, the device should stay connected properly.

It may be due to other (open) WiFi signals "disturbing your device". With multiple APs being available (in range), your device might try switching to the strongest signal. Of course this would require your device had been connected to them before (Android doesn't automatically connect to "unknown" networks – but it does automatically connect to networks you've used before).

If there are networks in range you've used in the past, you could try to remove them from your "known networks": Go to Settings › WiFi, and check which networks are listed. Tap-and-hold each of them will reveal a context menu allowing you to edit or "remove" it. Chose the latter will tell your device to "forget" it has been connected here already, and thus to not automatically connect it. Just leave the one you want to use being "known" should rule out this cause.

The problem lies in the DHCP settings of the ADSL router Login your router and go to DHCP settings and find the item called " leasing time " The default values of the "leasing time " is usually "Forever" and this is the bug with Android

All you have to do is to change the value of the "Leasing time " from "forever" to any other long value (depends on the routers options). Here i changed the value from "forever" to " 2 weeks " and since then i didnt have any single WIFI disconnect

Try your phone at other hotspots and make sure that its WiFi is actually OK, as it’s always possible that there’s a loose contact or some other problem there!
Assuming it’s not the phone, it could be intereference from other WiFi networks. You can install WiFi Analyser on your phone to see which channels are currently in use (there are similar packages for PC too, but I can’t remember their names at the moment), and see if your router is “competing” with others, then change your router’s settings to use other channels that are free. Your phone may simply be more sensitive to WiFi interference than other equipment in the house, which is why it is more prone to disconnect.

If your ISP has given you static IP,then you would have to keep the Best WiFi option enabled. If your router doesn’t supports 5GHz and,select 2.4 GHz frequency band or see whether there’s an option to detect automatically.

Configure your WiFi network by going to Settings –>WiFi and keep constant tap the name of the WiFi network you are connected to.A popup window will appear to either to forget the network or modify it.Choose to modify.

Select the checkbox saying “Show advanced options”.

Change IP settings from DHCP to Static.

Now,input the values of the remaining fields that you can see.

If the above solution still doesn’t helps,then try using AES encryption method instead of TKIP.

1. Log into the router with admin rights.
2. Click on the Advanced tab at the top
3. In the left NAV pane under Setup, click QoS Setup
4. In the WMM tab, Remove the check marks for (1) Enable WMM settings (2.4GHz Bb/g/n) and (2) Enable WMM settings (5GHz a/n)
5. Click the apply button

The apply will take several seconds (I think it was less than a minute), proceed after the apply finishes. On the tablet, turn on the Wi-Fi (you need to be in the settings). Find your network, tap your network, select Connect (supply the password if necessary).
At this point lots of stuff that was queued up started to download to my tablet and now all seems to be OK.

Noise Any other energy at frequencies used by your connection. This includes other WiFi devices but also other things like microwave ovens and wireless phones. You can try to set your AP to a channel that has less noise. The nonoverlapping channels you should set a 2.4 GHz WiFi AP are 1, 6, 11, and if your country allows, 14. In general, there is less traffic on 5 GHz channels, so these are a good option if supported by the AP and phone. Your AP may have an option to automatically change channels if it encounters a lot of noise.

Restore the phone’s factory defaults, and it will do fine.

I had this problem with one of my routers until I updated its firmware. See if there is a router firmware update first.

Go into settings-wifi- then uncheck 'smart network switch'.

I've resolved my issue by deleting the connection and then reestablishing it.

DSM

Re: TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software

5 Tools To Encrypt and Protect your Data on USB Flash Drives (Edited excerpt)

Well, we all use flash drives. They are portable, and can get lost. But what about the data? Well, a good idea would be to encrypt the data on the flash drive...

1. Windows Bitlocker

The version for encrypting USB flash drives is called Bitlocker to Go but sadly Bitlocker is not available in all releases of Windows. Only Windows Vista and 7 Ultimate/Enterprise, 8/8.1 Pro/Enterprise and Server 2008/2012 can create Bitlocked USB flash drives. You don’t need one of those versions to read an encrypted drive though and even XP can read it with the aid of a reader utility from Microsoft .

Bitlocker encrypts all the data on the drive using AES and asks for a password as soon as you plug in the drive or try to access it in Explorer, you cannot access or view the contents on the drive at all without the password. If you have a Bitlocker enabled Windows all you need to do is right click on the USB drive in Explorer and select “Turn on bitlocker…”.

2. DiskCryptor

DiskCryptor is often referred to as an open source alternative to Bitlocker if you don’t have a Bitlocker capable Windows, and with compatibility from Windows 2000 up to Windows 8.1/Server 2012, it’s certainly more compatible than Bitlocker. There’s several levels of encryption available including AES, Twofish, Serpent and mixed combinations of the three, and it can also encrypt optical media such as CD and DVD.

DiskCryptor encrypts the whole USB drive so it could take a while to process. After install (a reboot is required), run the program, select the drive and click the Encrypt button (or use the right click menu). Choose the encryption method and supply the password, a rating system will give guidance on how secure your chosen password is. A progress meter will let you know how long the process will likely take.

3. Rohos Mini Drive

Rohos encrypts USB drives with AES-256 in two different ways, creating an encrypted container file on the flash drive or creating a hidden partition where your encrypted files are stored. This second method does have a few advantages such as nobody can see or delete your files in Explorer unless you enter the password although it does require admin rights (a container file doesn’t) and can’t be created or accessed from the main Rohos Mini GUI.

You don’t need to install Rohos Mini Drive to create a hidden partition because the method is only available from the portable Rohos Mini Drive executable. To create a hidden partition run the exe from your computer, click Cancel (you don’t want to open an encrypted disk yet) and go to Partition > New. Choose “Create a real hidden partition (requires admin rights)”, click Change and alter the size of the encrypted partition, the rest of the space on the USB drive will be filled with a standard visible partition. Then enter your chosen password.

4. File Secure Free

The first thing to note about this program is the installer contains 3 or 4 screens of adware, so either be very careful or extract the installer with 7-Zip or Universal Extractor. Secondly, this is more of a general file security tool with added functions to shred files and backup files as well as the file encryption and drive lock options. This means encrypting files and then securing the drive is a two step process.

It’s best to first encrypt the folders and files on your system so unencrypted fragments are not found on the flash drive, go to the File Encryptor window, add the files/folders, highlight what to encrypt and press the Encrypt button followed by supplying a password. Encryption is using AES. Then copy the files to the flash drive, go to the Lockup window, select the drive from the drop down list and click Lock followed by supplying the lock password.

5. USB Flash Security

USB Flash Security works similar to other tools here by encrypting the whole drive but it leaves a small space free for the release tool to decrypt the protected area when run. This small area is a 0.5 MB FAT partition and usbenter.exe is what you run to enter the password and make the rest of the drive available and the files stored there can be decrypted.

After launching the program, a window will popup where you can select the drive to use, then click Install. After a warning that your drive will be erased you can enter the password and optional hint, after another warning the hidden partition will be created, it’s quick and takes only a few seconds. When you open the small partition and run usbenter.exe you will be prompted for the password, correct entry will reveal the encrypted area for you to add, edit or delete the files. Files are encrypted with AES-256.

Note :

1. The above is edited excerpt for brevity. Full details will be available on the link.

2. Encryption will help protection of data with reasonable level of assurance (if the USB is lost). Ofcourse, it is to be understood that govt. agencies, and top hackers will surely have the necessary tools and skills to access the data though.....

comm4300

5 Tools To Encrypt and Protect your Data on USB Flash Drives (Edited excerpt)

Well, we all use flash drives. They are portable, and can get lost. But what about the data? Well, a good idea would be to encrypt the data on the flash drive...

1. Windows Bitlocker

The version for encrypting USB flash drives is called Bitlocker to Go but sadly Bitlocker is not available in all releases of Windows. Only Windows Vista and 7 Ultimate/Enterprise, 8/8.1 Pro/Enterprise and Server 2008/2012 can create Bitlocked USB flash drives. You don’t need one of those versions to read an encrypted drive though and even XP can read it with the aid of a reader utility from Microsoft .

Bitlocker encrypts all the data on the drive using AES and asks for a password as soon as you plug in the drive or try to access it in Explorer, you cannot access or view the contents on the drive at all without the password. If you have a Bitlocker enabled Windows all you need to do is right click on the USB drive in Explorer and select “Turn on bitlocker…”.

2. DiskCryptor

DiskCryptor is often referred to as an open source alternative to Bitlocker if you don’t have a Bitlocker capable Windows, and with compatibility from Windows 2000 up to Windows 8.1/Server 2012, it’s certainly more compatible than Bitlocker. There’s several levels of encryption available including AES, Twofish, Serpent and mixed combinations of the three, and it can also encrypt optical media such as CD and DVD.

DiskCryptor encrypts the whole USB drive so it could take a while to process. After install (a reboot is required), run the program, select the drive and click the Encrypt button (or use the right click menu). Choose the encryption method and supply the password, a rating system will give guidance on how secure your chosen password is. A progress meter will let you know how long the process will likely take.

3. Rohos Mini Drive

Rohos encrypts USB drives with AES-256 in two different ways, creating an encrypted container file on the flash drive or creating a hidden partition where your encrypted files are stored. This second method does have a few advantages such as nobody can see or delete your files in Explorer unless you enter the password although it does require admin rights (a container file doesn’t) and can’t be created or accessed from the main Rohos Mini GUI.

You don’t need to install Rohos Mini Drive to create a hidden partition because the method is only available from the portable Rohos Mini Drive executable. To create a hidden partition run the exe from your computer, click Cancel (you don’t want to open an encrypted disk yet) and go to Partition > New. Choose “Create a real hidden partition (requires admin rights)”, click Change and alter the size of the encrypted partition, the rest of the space on the USB drive will be filled with a standard visible partition. Then enter your chosen password.

4. File Secure Free

The first thing to note about this program is the installer contains 3 or 4 screens of adware, so either be very careful or extract the installer with 7-Zip or Universal Extractor. Secondly, this is more of a general file security tool with added functions to shred files and backup files as well as the file encryption and drive lock options. This means encrypting files and then securing the drive is a two step process.

It’s best to first encrypt the folders and files on your system so unencrypted fragments are not found on the flash drive, go to the File Encryptor window, add the files/folders, highlight what to encrypt and press the Encrypt button followed by supplying a password. Encryption is using AES. Then copy the files to the flash drive, go to the Lockup window, select the drive from the drop down list and click Lock followed by supplying the lock password.

5. USB Flash Security

USB Flash Security works similar to other tools here by encrypting the whole drive but it leaves a small space free for the release tool to decrypt the protected area when run. This small area is a 0.5 MB FAT partition and usbenter.exe is what you run to enter the password and make the rest of the drive available and the files stored there can be decrypted.

After launching the program, a window will popup where you can select the drive to use, then click Install. After a warning that your drive will be erased you can enter the password and optional hint, after another warning the hidden partition will be created, it’s quick and takes only a few seconds. When you open the small partition and run usbenter.exe you will be prompted for the password, correct entry will reveal the encrypted area for you to add, edit or delete the files. Files are encrypted with AES-256.

Note :

1. The above is edited excerpt for brevity. Full details will be available on the link.

2. Encryption will help protection of data with reasonable level of assurance (if the USB is lost). Ofcourse, it is to be understood that govt. agencies, and top hackers will surely have the necessary tools and skills to access the data though.....
thank you. Truecrypt although discontinued continue.s to be a good alternative.

Last edited:

TradeOptions

DSM bro, very good idea for starting the thread. :thumb:

DSM

Think of having some fun by playing a Tech prank on friend or family? This one will make them go crazy (if they are not tech savvy) - And it's simple harmless fun to liven up a day :lol: :

Got this idea from Quora :

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-funniest-prank-youve-pulled

There were a bunch of people living in a dorm during one of my summer internships. Few of my friends print screened a guy's desktop and made it the wallpaper - adjusting the size. As a result, he thought none of his desktop icons were working and the poor guy pressed the windows button and searched for each and every file he wanted to open. It was hilarious!

Add to the fun : Hide the actual taskbar and disable desktop icons (right-click the desktop and choose “Arrange Icons By” and uncheck “Show Desktop Icons”). Then watch as they frantically try clicking their way out of the problem. :) :) :)

Note : The above may work based on the Windows version used. Though I think it's possible on all versions....

Think of having some fun by playing a Tech prank on friend or family? This one will make them go crazy (if they are not tech savvy) - And it's simple harmless fun to liven up a day :lol: :

Got this idea from Quora :

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-funniest-prank-youve-pulled

There were a bunch of people living in a dorm during one of my summer internships. Few of my friends print screened a guy's desktop and made it the wallpaper - adjusting the size. As a result, he thought none of his desktop icons were working and the poor guy pressed the windows button and searched for each and every file he wanted to open. It was hilarious!

Add to the fun : Hide the actual taskbar and disable desktop icons (right-click the desktop and choose “Arrange Icons By” and uncheck “Show Desktop Icons”). Then watch as they frantically try clicking their way out of the problem. :) :) :)

Note : The above may work based on the Windows version used. Though I think it's possible on all versions....
hahaha...
this trick i earlier used in my college days. very annoying for the user who don't know what's wrong on desktop.:rofl:

DSM

Still looking to improve my net connectivity. Being layperson in matters of tech, means looking to solutions on the net. And here's an interesting app that I came across - It's called Wifi Analyzer : : :)

The video is must watch in my view. It explains how to use the App to find the best channel and to reduce interference from neighbouring routers :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2b2yB69W8 [

Some pics :

The best part, is that the app is free....

DSM

Google's Chromebit Turns Any TV Into a Chrome PC for Under $100 - Sean Hollister (Edited excerpt)

http://gizmodo.com/googles-chromebit-turns-any-tv-into-a-chrome-pc-for-und-1694793903

Google just introduced a whole new kind of Chrome OS computer—a dongle that plugs into any HDMI-equipped display. It’s called a Chromebit, and it isn’t your run-of-the-mill streaming stick. For under $100, you’re looking at a full computer that plugs right into your TV.

How is that possible? Well, it’s not exactly a new idea. Intel recently announced the Intel Compute Stick, a $150 HDMI dongle that does the same thing but with full Windows 8.1 on board. And Chinese companies have been selling Android HDMI dongle-computers for nearly a year, based on the Rockchip RK3288 processor. So now that Google’s rolling out Rockchip-based Chromebooks too, a dongle-PC was the logical next step.

Does that make the new Asus Chromebit any less impressive, though? Not one bit. It’s portable, cute, comes in three attractive colors, and has a super-smart swivel on the business end so you can plug it into practically any HDMI socket without needing an extension cable. (If you ask me, all dongles should feature that.)

DSM

Google launches Chrombit in India, priced at Rs 7,999

Chromebit CS10 is the world's smallest Chrome OS device and is essentially a dongle that turns the users’ TV or monitor into a computer.

http://telecom.economictimes.indiat...-chrombit-in-india-priced-at-rs-7999/50202332

After Google CEO Sundar Pichai delivered his keynote today in Delhi, Caesar Sengupta Google VP, product management launched the Asus Chromebit. Priced at Rs 7,999, the smartphone (???) will be available starting January 2016.

It is a PC-on-a-stick with Google's Chrome OS built-in; users need to plug the stick in a TV/monitor and pair it with keyboard and mouse to turn it into a fully-functioning computer. Chromebit CS10 is the world's smallest Chrome OS device and features 2G RAM, 16GB of storage and a Rockchip quad-core RK3288C processor.

The Asus Chromebit CS10 runs on Chrome OS operating system and includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and a USB port connectivity options. It comes with free 100GB of Google Drive space for 2 years.