Tribute to the real heros

sh50

Day before yesterday, when I was praising Creditviolet as usual, I refrained from poetic expressions because of the recent overdose. However since this has a serious connotation, this is what came to my mind:-

At the risk of repeatedly rhyming and sounding like a bore
After Credits joining this forum, it is no longer what it used to be before
His knowledgeable posts and links one cannot help but adore
In his absence, visiting this forum time and again would have seemed like a chore
We need more posts from him and more like him, :Ye dil maange more**

**For those who may not be aware Ye dil maange more is a famous Pepsi ad catchline.

"Ye dil maange more" were the last words of Parmavir Chakra, the late Captain Vikram Batra said on Television.Only a couple of days later, in a bull run,he single handedly finished off more than a dozen Pakistani soldiers in true hindi-movie style in the Kargil War and captured some hilltop before dying. What a top.

NDTV has tried to ensure that we do not forget Kargil by sending Actors like Aamir and Shahrukh Khan and even Aishwarya Rai for a tete-a-tete with the Jawans. We should try and pay our own little tribute our own little way. The Army is the only unblemished institution in this country and for all practical purposes, because some young people like Batra spend their whole young lives away from family to guard our borders to enable us to sit in our Airconditioned rooms to trade and invest. There we go again:-

As we fight our little battles of bulls and bears
The real battles are faught elsewhere to allay our fears
By people who, for this purpose give away their best years
I think more than anybody else they deserve three cheers
We must not forget, their sacrifices once reduced Pandit Nehru to tears

I am referring to the famous Lata Mangeshkar song, Ai mere watan ke logo, Zara aankh me bhar lo pani, jo Shaheed whue hai unki, zara yaad karo Kurbani.

I would also like to remind that the one thing that the markets hate is uncertainty and these people more than anybody else are instrumental in insulating us against that. I would rather face a May17,2004 situation(When markets fell drastically)with long positions than Siachen anyday.Even in peace time, we cant do without them.

This has been a somewhat unresponsive forum but if you know any of the Kargil or other heros, I hope you will pay your tributes. If I had not written this, it would have weighed heavily on my conscience.

Last edited:
sh50 said:
"Ye dil maange more" were the last words of Parmavir Chakra, the late Captain Vikram Batra said on Television.Only a couple of days later, in a bull run,he single handedly finished off more than a dozen Pakistanis in true hindi-movie style in the Kargil War and captured some hilltop before dying. What a top.

We should try and pay our own little tribute our own little way. The Army is the only unblemished institution in this country and for all practical purposes, because some young people like Batra spend their whole young lives away from family to guard our borders to enable us to sit in our Airconditioned rooms to trade and invest. There we go again:-

As we fight our little battles of bulls and bears
The real battles are faught elsewhere to allay our fears
By people who, for this purpose give away their best years
I think more than anybody else they deserve three cheers
We must not forget, their sacrifices once reduced Pandit Nehru to tears

I am referring to the famous Lata Mangeshkar song, Ai mere watan ke logo, Zara aankh me bhar lo pani, jo Shaheed whue hai unki, zara yaad karo Kurbani.

I would also like to remind that the one thing that the markets hate is uncertainty and these people more than anybody else are instrumental in insulating us against that. I would rather face a May17,2004 situation(When markets fell drastically)with long positions than Siachen anyday.Even in peace time, we cant do without them.

This has been a somewhat unresponsive forum but if you know any of the Kargil or other heros, I hope you will pay your tributes. If I had not written this, it would have weighed heavily on my conscience.
I'm real glad that you've said this here sh50 (give me your real name please at [email protected]). Like I've said this many times before, T/A is not all in life, even in this forum. Everyone needs a break, so come & post something different in this category.

I'm absolutely touched by your tribute to the late Capt.Batra who (never mind NDTV) laid down his life for us piddling armchair civilians (I'm one now). Great show of patriotism (in this stiff-upper-lip forum of Traders & T/As). I commend you my friend. I don't have to remind you all that I'm an ex-Navy officer too & that means an ex-serviceman, with combat experience in the 1971 war. Please don't forget the Navy & the Airforce please, you'd never know when you'd have to sing their praises too. I'm also an ex-NDA (National Defence Academy Graduate). All this may explain why I appear to go overboard with what sh50 has to sing about. ;)

Coming to patriotic songs, my top 2 favourites are:- Lata's "Aye Mere watan.." & Mahendra Kapoor's "Mera Rang De Basanti...." (our favourite Campfire song in the NDA). That was soon after the Indo-Pak war of 1965.

I really don't know how tuned-into the Armed Forces the rest of the forum is but I'll respond with a poem of my own very soon. Got to rush on some personal work right now.

Until later.......

sh50

Since you are such a good poet, reminds one of An officer and a gentleman.

Well, what a pleasant surprise. When I say Army I actually imply defence personnel . Just as there is a natural tendency to be more bullish than bearish among laymen, there is a general tendency of identifying more with the Army. Though the Navy has a mystique of its own, the other two seem to hog most of the limelight.

One can recollect many old war movies. My favorite was Prahaar starring Nana Patekar. It advocates Army life of couple of years for everybody to instill discipline. For all you know, it may make you a better trader.The then President personally congratulated the crew and the actors. Everybody said that the recent movie "LOC" was more of a documentary but since it was made on the Kargil real life situation, it should have been a hit. Besides, if you bring too much melodrama in these things, it would not seem genuine since all you defence guys seem so well groomed and polished in real life.

The irony of the situation is that the movie" Border" which is not so real life succeded commercially. Almost reminds you of stock market irrationality. We had an opportunity to see the Kargil situation in an open air theatre on the outskirts of Delhi. It was a fantastic tribute and everybody gave a well deserved standing ovation.

One can't help getting a little Nostalgic- As a child one saw Humdono, Haqeeqat, Hindustan ki Kasam, Lalkaar- all unique in thier own way. Among English war movies, "The Great Escape" remains a hot favorite even after 20 years. I saw the new "Deewar" a few months ago. It too was a good attempt on the escape theme(here, from Pakistani jails). I have read about people rotting in Pakistani jails. In my view, that is a more superior sacrifice than dying for the country as its like living death. Its again incongruous that Deewar which actually reveals the plight of such people failed at the box office and "Veer Zaara" which was more of a love story with the same backdrop succeeded more commercially. Talk about following a deceptive trend. Lakshay was also fine but did not do so well commercially.

Let me reiterate that irrespective of where they serve, all defence personnel should be revered equally and their sacrifices never be forgotten. I don't think there can be a contrarian view on that:-

Veer Zaara and "Lakshya" may have Preity Zinta whom most people find cute
However Deewar really shows to what extent defence people can be resolute
It really reveals how intensely they contribute
The box office verdict is something one wishes one could refute
Cruel vagaries and paradoxes of life and existance can be brute
In reality,no words or movies can pay a good enough tribute
One fact nobody can dilute
One fact is absolute
Their sacrifices deserve a permanant,unequivocal salute

Post Kargil, I read somewhere that no politician/issue/event in post independent India had been able to unite India the way watching the televised semi-war did. That in itself is a handsome compliment though when the word politician comes to mind one can add" Unlike some others who tend to pollute" to the verses.

Nice also to see you come out so openly with those two songs; I like them too though I feel that Mera rang de was picturised better in the old movie Shaheed rather than the recent one on Bhagat Singh in which Ajay Devgan acted well.

I look forward to your poem. Maybe you can regale us with some war experiences. Most people like war stories and if this forum does not respond to that, I dont see much future for it. Shall write to you soon.

Last edited:
sh50 said:
Since you are such a good poet, reminds one of An officer and a gentleman...... As CV says, Hmmm!

Well, what a pleasant surprise. When I say Army I actually imply defence personnel . Just as there is a natural tendency to be more bullish than bearish among laymen, there is a general tendency of identifying more with the Army. Though the Navy has a mystique of its own, the other two seem to hog most of the limelight...... [You are right on all counts my friend.

One can recollect many old war movies........ Really, there's no realism in Indian (not only Hindi) war movies.

Almost reminds you of stock market irrationality...Good analogy here.

We had an opportunity to see the Kargil situation in an open air theatre on the outskirts of Delhi. It was a fantastic tribute and everybody gave a well deserved standing ovation.......Patriotism is still alive in India it seems.

One can't help getting a little Nostalgic- Among English war movies, "The Great Escape" remains a hot favorite even after 20 years...I saw this first (4 times again) in 1966, that's a cool 39 years ago. Great movie this & an even greater cast. Where have they all gone (to heaven & into old age of course), Steve McQueen, James Garner, Antony Quayle, Rich Attenborough, Robert Vaughan etc. Oh! this was the greatest escape movie of WW2. "The Longest Day"was perhaps the greatest of them all. "Battle of the Bulge", "Kelly's Heroes", "Dirty Dozen" etc., the list is endless.

I have read about people rotting in Pakistani jails. In my view, that is a more superior sacrifice than dying for the country as its like living death... I've seen the PAKI POWs in our POW camp in Ranchi after the '71 war. Poor sods, they looked as miserable as ours'. As General George S.Patton (US WW2) famously said, "You've gotta kill the other SOB before the other SOB kills you but, but, but cuddle him like a mother when he shows white (surrender flag or as a POW) before the Geneva Convention gets you.

Let me reiterate that irrespective of where they serve, all defence personnel should be revered equally and their sacrifices never be forgotten. I don't think there can be a contrarian view on that:- Your verse says it all quite well enough.

Post Kargil, I read somewhere that no politician/issue/event in post independent India had been able to unite India the way watching the televised semi-war did. That in itself is a handsome compliment...You said it. That's an absolute fact pal. Thank NDTV most for it. I think they did a wonderful job with Barkha as their main anchor. Our hero the late Capt. Batra was brought right into our living rooms & community TVs.

Nice also to see you come out so openly with those two songs; I like them too though I feel that Mera rang de was picturised better in the old movie Shaheed rather than the recent one on Bhagat Singh in which Ajay Devgan acted well...... U R so right again buddy. I saw the recent one with Ajay Devgan on TV recently but the melody was too slow & a warped version of the older version fronm the original "Shaheed".

I look forward to your poem. Maybe you can regale us with some war experiences. Most people like war stories and if this forum does not respond to that, I dont see much future for it. Shall write to you soon.
...Just hold your horses.

Last edited: