Trading with Volume Spread Analysis (VSA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunny

Volume Spread Analysis(VSA) is an alternative approach to technical and fundamental analysis. The objective of VSA is to provide insights into the trading activity of the Professional Money or so called Smart Money. This money is the market mover. Its activity can create imbalance between supply and demand and cause the price to move in a particular direction. It can see many more things that ordinary retail traders like us cannot see.

Charting for VSA:
Any charting software with basic ability to plot bar/candle charts and volume is all we need. Technical indicators such as moving averages, stochastic, RSI, MACD, etc. are not required.

Basic pre-knowledge:
It would be nice if you know basic terminologies like supports, resistance, trading range, trendlines, etc. "Spread" means difference between High and Low price of a particular bar/candle.

Why this thread:
I have been trading for 8 months now. During this period, I have had my lessons in chart patterns, candlestick charting, technical indicators, advanced concepts such as Market Profile, Wolfe waves, Market Delta, VSA, etc. I was soon very comfortable with VSA than other methods. However, there is not much reading material and illustration available on VSA unlike chart patterns and candlesticks.

Another motive is to analyze the action as it happens. There is no point in pulling up the chart after 2 months and pointing out how VSA can help in identifying the top/bottom or buy/sell signal. Historical charts always seem to work no matter what indicator or system you are using. But in real time, unfortunately they don't give similar results. (Note: All action will be analysed EOD, not during trading hours)

What to expect in this thread:
I will posting my observations in few selected scrips, and if possible, specific action such as 'Buy/Sell/Short/Hold/etc.' I won't be posting charts unless there is anything peculiar to be illustrated. The main reason for not posting chart is lack of time. Posting chart is time consuming because I to have annotate the chart, upload it on my server and then post the link here. However basic comments indicating the need for action will be posted. You can lookup the charts in your software and relate to them. To understand the comments, you will have to read a small book on VSA.

Reading material for those interested in VSA:
The only book you need to get started in VSA can be downloaded here.

Unlike conventional technical analysis, there is not a lot of reading material available for VSA learners. Some forums do discuss VSA, but the no. of participants in VSA is very low compared to those in technical analysis.

"The stock-market is a story unfolding bar by bar" - Every bar is important to us. One that appears as a strong buy may show signs of weakness after 3 bars. So we have to be alert and vigilant about what the smart money is doing.

Last edited:
Volume Spread Analysis(VSA) is an alternative approach to technical and fundamental analysis. The objective of VSA is to provide insights into the trading activity of the Professional Money or so called Smart Money. This money is the market mover. Its activity can create imbalance between supply and demand and cause the price to move in a particular direction. It can see many more things that ordinary retail traders like us cannot see.

Charting for VSA:
Any charting software with basic ability to plot bar/candle charts and volume is all we need. Technical indicators such as moving averages, stochastic, RSI, MACD, etc. are not required.

Basic pre-knowledge:
It would be nice if you know basic terminologies like supports, resistance, trading range, trendlines, etc. "Spread" means difference between High and Low price of a particular bar/candle.

Why this thread:
I have been trading for 8 months now. During this period, I have had my lessons in chart patterns, candlestick charting, technical indicators, advanced concepts such as Market Profile, Wolfe waves, Market Delta, VSA, etc. I was soon very comfortable with VSA than other methods. However, there is not much reading material and illustration available on VSA unlike chart patterns and candlesticks.

Another motive is to analyze the action as it happens. There is no point in pulling up the chart after 2 months and pointing out how VSA can help in identifying the top/bottom or buy/sell signal. Historical charts always seem to work no matter what indicator or system you are using. But in real time, unfortunately they don't give similar results. (Note: All action will be analysed EOD, not during trading hours)

What to expect in this thread:
I will posting my observations in few selected scrips, and if possible, specific action such as 'Buy/Sell/Short/Hold/etc.' I won't be posting charts unless there is anything peculiar to be illustrated. The main reason for not posting chart is lack of time. Posting chart is time consuming because I to have annotate the chart, upload it on my server and then post the link here. However basic comments indicating the need for action will be posted. You can lookup the charts in your software and relate to them. To understand the comments, you will have to read a small book on VSA.

Reading material for those interested in VSA:
The only book you need to get started in VSA can be downloaded here.

Unlike conventional technical analysis, there is not a lot of reading material available for VSA learners. Some forums do discuss VSA, but the no. of participants in VSA is very low compared to those in technical analysis.

"The stock-market is a story unfolding bar by bar" - Every bar is important to us. One that appears as a strong buy may show signs of weakness after 3 bars. So we have to be alert and vigilant about what the smart money is doing.
Great initiative... bunny...Look forward to some great stuff....keep it up.

Best wishes,happy trading....

Smart_trade

Last edited:

bunny

For trading from 11 JAN 2010 onwards

BARTRONICS
The stock has crossed its short-term resistance at 159 and is trading near that value, Daily bars of 05 and 06 JAN 2010 are high-volume wide-spread bars that pierce through 159. Daily bars of 07 and 08 JAN 2010 are down bars with progressively reducing volumes. Likely that smart money has turned bullish and prepared to absorb the supply from traders locked-in at the trading range.
Action: Buy BARTRONICS with stop-loss of 155 and target of 180.

KAUSHALYA
KAUSHALYA has seen some violent and bulky up-moves in the last week. These wide-spread up-bars are across its seller-circuits in JUN 2009 and tradings ranges in SEP 2009. The last two daily bars are down-bars on progressively reducing volumes. Hints at absorption and thus an underlying bullish view.
Action: Buy KAUSHALYA with stop-loss of 26 and target of 35.

MLL
MLL has seen high-volume up-days on 05 to 07 JAn 2010. The daily bar of 08 JAN 2010 is a narrow-spread low-volume down bar. What must the high-volume up bars have meant? Probably they indicated absorption from traders who were locked-in at similar price levels when the stock formed a trading range during OCT 2009 and lost ground thereafter.
Action: Buy MLL with a stop loss of 63.50 and target 78.

NATIONALUM
On 05 JAN 2010, the stock has seen a very steep rise in a single traading session, almost 15% over previous closing. The daily bar of 05 JAN 2010 is a wide spread, high volume that closes on its high. The bar is directly across a trading range(resistance) created during the last week of July 2008. The very high volume may have meant "absoprtion of supply from the locked-in traders". This action is called "Pushing up through supply" and indicated bullishness. During the last three trading sessions, the stock has been going down progressively lower volumes. This indicates reducing selling pressure.
Action: Buy NATIONALUM with stop-loss of 460 and target 540.

ROHITFERRO
ROHITFERRO is trading near its resistance zone of 45 to 50. The daily bar of 08 JAN 2010 shows an up-bar, very high volume, closing in the lower part of the spread. Observe how the bar is gapped up. Gaps are of peculiar importance. They commonly occur while crossing a trading range or near the top.
Action: Sell ROHITFERRO.

ROLTA
ROLTA has been down for three continous trading sessions - 06 to 08 JAN 2010. The volume associated with these bars is reducing progressively. These are signs of reducing selling pressure.
Action Buy ROLTA with a stop-loss of 189 and target of 235.
The target has been derived from across a unfilled gap around 225 - 230 levels during 1st week of JAN 2008. Signs of reducing selling pressure near its previous resistance(205) indicate bullishness. We are likely to see a high-volume(absorption) up-bar that fills this gap quicky.

VIDEOIND
Daily bar of 08 JAN 2010 shows an up-bar, high-volume, wide spread and closing in the middle of the spread. Hints at selling by professional money.
Action Sell VIDEOIND and reenter on signs of strength.

Re: For trading from 11 JAN 2010 onwards

BARTRONICS
The stock has crossed its short-term resistance at 159 and is trading near that value, Daily bars of 05 and 06 JAN 2010 are high-volume wide-spread bars that pierce through 159. Daily bars of 07 and 08 JAN 2010 are down bars with progressively reducing volumes. Likely that smart money has turned bullish and prepared to absorb the supply from traders locked-in at the trading range.
Action: Buy BARTRONICS with stop-loss of 155 and target of 180.

KAUSHALYA
KAUSHALYA has seen some violent and bulky up-moves in the last week. These wide-spread up-bars are across its seller-circuits in JUN 2009 and tradings ranges in SEP 2009. The last two daily bars are down-bars on progressively reducing volumes. Hints at absorption and thus an underlying bullish view.
Action: Buy KAUSHALYA with stop-loss of 26 and target of 35.

MLL
MLL has seen high-volume up-days on 05 to 07 JAn 2010. The daily bar of 08 JAN 2010 is a narrow-spread low-volume down bar. What must the high-volume up bars have meant? Probably they indicated absorption from traders who were locked-in at similar price levels when the stock formed a trading range during OCT 2009 and lost ground thereafter.
Action: Buy MLL with a stop loss of 63.50 and target 78.

NATIONALUM
On 05 JAN 2010, the stock has seen a very steep rise in a single traading session, almost 15% over previous closing. The daily bar of 05 JAN 2010 is a wide spread, high volume that closes on its high. The bar is directly across a trading range(resistance) created during the last week of July 2008. The very high volume may have meant "absoprtion of supply from the locked-in traders". This action is called "Pushing up through supply" and indicated bullishness. During the last three trading sessions, the stock has been going down progressively lower volumes. This indicates reducing selling pressure.
Action: Buy NATIONALUM with stop-loss of 460 and target 540.

ROHITFERRO
ROHITFERRO is trading near its resistance zone of 45 to 50. The daily bar of 08 JAN 2010 shows an up-bar, very high volume, closing in the lower part of the spread. Observe how the bar is gapped up. Gaps are of peculiar importance. They commonly occur while crossing a trading range or near the top.
Action: Sell ROHITFERRO.

ROLTA
ROLTA has been down for three continous trading sessions - 06 to 08 JAN 2010. The volume associated with these bars is reducing progressively. These are signs of reducing selling pressure.
Action Buy ROLTA with a stop-loss of 189 and target of 235.
The target has been derived from across a unfilled gap around 225 - 230 levels during 1st week of JAN 2008. Signs of reducing selling pressure near its previous resistance(205) indicate bullishness. We are likely to see a high-volume(absorption) up-bar that fills this gap quicky.

VIDEOIND
Daily bar of 08 JAN 2010 shows an up-bar, high-volume, wide spread and closing in the middle of the spread. Hints at selling by professional money.
Action Sell VIDEOIND and reenter on signs of strength.
:clapping::clapping:Hi Bunny! Gr8 going...but what's the method to decide target and stop loss thru VSA.
:clapping::clapping:

bunny

Re: For trading from 11 JAN 2010 onwards

:clapping::clapping:Hi Bunny! Gr8 going...but what's the method to decide target and stop loss thru VSA.
:clapping::clapping:
Stoploss is used as the most recent trading range. A trading range may not be obvious on daily charts, but you can easily identify it on lower timeframe.

Target is also calculated in a similar way. Sometimes, its slightly above the next trading range, or across a unfilled gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.