Trading the trend

VIKAS 21

Now that the trend detection is clear. Lets make it crystal.

Some questions:

1) Will you trade any scrip which looks like a smooth chart or only Nifty?
2) What time frame will you trade? Daily or Intraday?
3) Will you use Higher Time Frame trend to filter entries?
Dear jamit

1.You can trade any scrip With good volume

2.You can trade any time frame....

3. Higher time frame/filters is on your discretion( this is strategy part which we will cover after basics part).

WE will discuss there how to avoid wrong enteries & various strategies based on basics too but after basics part....

DanPickUp

Thanks Dan sir For ur interest in this thread.....

Please provide us with ur valuable inputs to increase our knowledge...
Dear VIKAS

Thanks for your kind words. As you know by your self the very best where you want to lead the thread too, I am just a silent reader of the posts in your good thread.

As we all have different ways and ideas of trading, to much input can destroy a good way of trading. I am sure you heard the following: To many cooks can destroy a meal.

As you explain a way of trading which dear ST also trades, I only will post when I think it could expand what is shown or when I have questions.

As always: Good trading / DanPickUp

VIKAS 21

Hi, To ensure/mark the HH/HL or LL/LH, do we use zigzag function (which will be time frame specific) or Fib retracements or trendline or will it visual one?

While marking these points, how we will take care of whipsaw markings?
Dear mangup

All of ur these queries will be resolved itself in coming posts...

It is a big thing we can mark HH,HL,LH,LL......

Please keep marking HH,HL,LH,LL ON UR CHARTS & POST those charts here...

Our first basic part is complete......

Our Next part is PIVOTS......

It is the most important part of our basics part.....

sir,
if price is making HH and HL means uptrend and making LH and LL means downtrend ( so simple to determine the trend) then why trading is so difficult?
we know trend is our friend, so identify the trend first and trade in that direction because market is trending always, either in 5 min tf, or in 30 min tf
or in daily tf or ... so on.
Markets are either in uptrend or downtrend or in sideways trend on any given timeframe. Markets may be in uptrend in larger degree trend, downtrend in medium term trend and sideways in smaller degree trend and this makes trading difficult. If we can align various trends and then trade, we have better success rate , less whipsaws and better results.For that one needs to know where exactly each trend starts and the point of reversal of these trends.

Smart_trade

Option.Trader

Markets are either in uptrend or downtrend or in sideways trend on any given timeframe. Markets may be in uptrend in larger degree trend, downtrend in medium term trend and sideways in smaller degree trend and this makes trading difficult. If we can align various trends and then trade, we have better success rate , less whipsaws and better results.For that one needs to know where exactly each trend starts and the point of reversal of these trends.

Smart_trade
Also one of the most common mistakes is to fight the trend... in the recent cases, its most disheartening to see people trying to go long in a downtrend trying to pick bottoms and trying to short an uptrend picking tops.. stick to basics... trade the market you are in and leave the emotions to other traders...
So in a bear market sell rallies and in a bull market buy dips... these two things followed in previous two days would have saved a lot of sleepless nights

Last edited:

SexyTrader

Also one of the most common mistakes is to fight the trend... in the recent cases, its most disheartening to see people trying to go long in a downtrend trying to pick bottoms and trying to short an uptrend picking tops.. stick to basics... trade the market you are in and leave the emotions to other traders...
So in a bear market sell rallies and in a bull market buy dips... these two things followed in previous two days would have saved a lot of sleepless nights
The problem with this current negative trend is that it is an erratic trend :)

Political mess, European mess tugging along :p Almost like a masala movie with new things cropping up like magic :D

burai123

Smart_trade
st sir and vikas sir,
my question was not any argument, only query?
for last 15 months i have been following traderji only and reading very good threads stared by you, saint sir, khushiji, raghab, vjay sir, sg sir, vikas sir and many other senior members and trying to improve my basics.
i hope this thread will help new traders like me to improve their basics.

Yes, very true...we as traders should be trend followers....and not trend starters. So if the trend is down, we should train our mind not to entertain thoughts of being brave and do bottomfishing.

But people are never happy trading the current trend...when the trend is down, they try to buy and try to catch the bottom and when the trend is up, they try to sell every rally trying to catch the top.Why do they do so ? because they find excitement in going against the trend but that gives them large losses and then they get into hope mode that the prices will come back to their levels which never happens....then the losses finally become unbearable and then they book losses and the market reverses....and this continues ....

Smart_trade

st sir and vikas sir,
my question was not any argument, only query?
for last 15 months i have been following traderji only and reading very good threads stared by you, saint sir, khushiji, raghab, vjay sir, sg sir, vikas sir and many other senior members and trying to improve my basics.
i hope this thread will help new traders like me to improve their basics.
No no...I never took it as an argument....your query was very valid and in reply I have indicated the various types of trends which will be covered in this thread as we go along......Vikas will be discussing about these further....

ST